Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does the new "Scythe." have MIDI in?

As in with external device or app and not in Audiobus 3?

Comments

• Working in AUM; not yet in standalone.

• @Masanga said:
    Working in AUM; not yet in standalone.

Midi in, as far as I know, is only for AB3 at the moment. You have it working in AUM?

I'm also told that core midi is coming very soon (like next) but the dev had to squash a couple voice related crackle bugs first. I'm waiting for the core midi too. I'm confident this will happen very soon.

• Yes, I don't have AB3 (I'm banged up in jailbreak jail back on 9.3.3), but load it into AUM under IAA and you can play it polyphonically through an external controller. For all I know it may have been possible in the previous version, because I didn't think to try, but it certainly works with today's update.

• @Masanga said:
    Yes, I don't have AB3 (I'm banged up in jailbreak jail back on 9.3.3), but load it into AUM under IAA and you can play it polyphonically through an external controller. For all I know it may have been possible in the previous version, because I didn't think to try, but it certainly works with today's update.

Hmmm... that's good to know. I'm still just on beta, but the build I have is earlier than what he dropped today. I messaged him to see if it had core midi yet, and he said it didn't but it was next. I'm ready to buy it. I love the sounds I can get with it. And he's already updated a few times now, so I'm almost positive it's coming.

• Yes, I really love this app. As I type I've got Wotja driving it over MIDI and Haaze and Crystalline in the fx chain while I twiddle with the parameters in-app, and it's like abseiling into a giant underground cavern where Steve Roach and Klaus Wiese are fighting over who gets the last overtone.

• @Masanga said:
    Yes, I really love this app. As I type I've got Wotja driving it over MIDI and Haaze and Crystalline in the fx chain while I twiddle with the parameters in-app, and it's like abseiling into a giant underground cavern where Steve Roach and Klaus Wiese are fighting over who gets the last overtone.

Just to make sure I'm clear on this... you said you're NOT using AB3 for the midi routing into Scythe? You're ONLY using AUM to host Scythe and routing the midi from Wotja to Scythe's AUM channel?

• Yep, that's exactly right. All in AUM with no AB involved at any point. I take it this doesn't work in the beta version you're working with?

• @Masanga said:
    Yep, that's exactly right. All in AUM with no AB involved at any point. I take it this doesn't work in the beta version you're working with?

You know... I haven’t even tried since I was told it hadn’t been added yet, and that it was still AB3 only.

I’m out at the moment, but will try when I get home. Thx for the info :)

• @skiphunt said:

@Masanga said:
    Yep, that's exactly right. All in AUM with no AB involved at any point. I take it this doesn't work in the beta version you're working with?

You know... I haven’t even tried since I was told it hadn’t been added yet, and that it was still AB3 only.

Yes, I only found out by accident because I was widdling around with it as a backing drone in AUM. I wasn't expecting this so soon, but it's fantastic to have.

• This is great, my thanks to the developer.

• @Masanga said:

@skiphunt said:

@Masanga said:

Yes, I only found out by accident because I was widdling around with it as a backing drone in AUM. I wasn't expecting this so soon, but it's fantastic to have.

It kind of worked for me too, but not really for targeted channels. But, the beta I have is one build behind the latest official update. I'm sure it's coming though. Will likely just go ahead and buy it with the trust core midi will be delivered very soon as promised. I really like the app and want to support it's continued development.

• edited November 2017

Tested in Cubasis (update not beta) and IAA midi was working alongside another IAA synth and AUx stuff too. Freeze tracks worked with Scythe as well.

• @skiphunt said:

@Masanga said:

@skiphunt said:

@Masanga said:

It kind of worked for me too, but not really for targeted channels. But, the beta I have is one build behind the latest official update. I'm sure it's coming though. Will likely just go ahead and buy it with the trust core midi will be delivered very soon as promised. I really like the app and want to support it's continued development.

@Littlewoodg said:
    Tested in Cubasis (update not beta) and IAA midi was working alongside another IAA synth and AUx stuff too. Freeze tracks worked with Scythe as well.

Well interesting indeed.

I did buy it but got rid of it minute had no midi in.

So patiently waiting for midi functionality.

• Wow, I was just about to buy this. No MIDI in? I believe I’ll pass even when it does get it, on principle.

• It does have MIDI in. I made a video of Fugue Machine feeding it MIDI through AB3. Works great!

• Don't really know what happened with all the audio but it was there. I think it might be a screen recording glitch.

• MIDI still working for me in AUM. I've also just discovered that it comes with a load of invisible presets; the presets window only looks blank because they're displayed as white on white, but if you tap somewhere in the window the preset name will momentarily highlight and load. (Or maybe they're showing up normally for others? iOS 9.3.3 on 9.7" iPad Pro.)

• Latest update adds Core MIDI in. Presets window whiteout not yet fixed, though.