Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Noodle Capture/Ableton 10 Capture style iOS workflow

Hi Everyone.

I have been thinking about iOS recording workflows. I realise I spend a lot of time noodling but rarely capture the work into usable ideas.

Reading the Ableton 10 announcement, I was interested in the idea that Ableton will “Listen” while you Noodle.

See “Capture” in the link below:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001659464-Live-10-Beta-Technical-FAQ

If you want to commit, Ableton remembers what you have been playing and lets you record it (and presumably discards what you don’t want). NB, this is midi only for Ableton.

Can anybody suggest some workflows/apps in iOS to achieve this?

Ideally it would capture midi and audio for a predetermined length of time and when you press a button (or a foot pedal!) it would record that excerpt and start a new one. It would be lovely if this could be part of Audio Bus and/or AUM.

I suspect using a long loop and comping on Cubasis may achieve this but in a less automated way than I would desire.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/8058/comping-multiple-takes

Grateful for any ideas.

KT

Comments

• I think it will be some time before we see this type of feature on iOS. Ableton is listening across multiple midi tracks for 10 minutes and 'saving' all these events (including a good guess at tempo/timing) as separate potential clips for instant recall.

I would imagine this would be a huge task to implement properly and the performance hit on iOS would most likely be an issue?

• Yes, so much noodling goes down the drain. For MIDI, I like to use Infinite Looper to capture my noodlings. It has a feature that records indefinitely while you jam over the loop, then when you feel like you nailed it, stop and listen back and grab the passes of the loop you like best. There is some MIDI control available but not for this feature I don’t think.

• edited November 2017

@Telefunky gave me this advice in a similar thread:

I’d retire the Wiretap and use the Mini with Multitrack DAW (Harmonic Dog) as a recorder.
    The app is very simple and convenient to handle live tracking, setting loop and punch points, overdub on multiple tracks etc. Never missed a looper pedal if the iPad is mounted to a mic stand or similiar in reach while playing guitar - it's just not audience/live compatible, but perfect for studio appliances.
    MTD looks humble, would even run on an iPad one, but it's got an excellent sound engine and is really powerful under the hood. Solid and efficient.

MTD can keep re-recording over an infinite loop. It’s not quite the same as a continuous buffer, but it’s pretty good.

Looperverse also has a secret buffer, which can grab your last 10 seconds or something, but you have to be quick to trigger it.

• @mistercharlie said:
    MTD can keep re-recording over an infinite loop. It’s not quite the same as a continuous buffer, but it’s pretty good.

Ooo, I have MTD, going to try that...

• @audiorangutan said:

@mistercharlie said:

Ooo, I have MTD, going to try that...

Let us know how it works out. I’m trying to set up something similar.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Let us know how it works out. I’m trying to set up something similar.

I patched it up and it works well enough. In AUM I sent my drums and bass out through Audiobus to two tracks in MTD. Then you can set a nice long loop in MTD, hit record, forget about it and commence noodling. Later, thirty minutes or an hour down the road, when you hit a moment of pure musical genius the likes of which the world has never heard, you can flip back to MTD and grab the last few recorded minuets to save and edit. I assume an advantage to this method is that MTD will use less storage when recording in a five minute loop for an hour, while AUM would use a lot more just straight recording for an hour—I might be wrong about that though.
    I just really wish MTD had Ableton Link to keep the bars in sync.
    MTD gives an error in AB2, not sure what that’s about, it still works.

• Great stuff. I have some experiments I want to try this weekend.