Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Running drum apps alongside cubasis and syncing timelines

Hey I’m trying to get a decent workflow going with DrumPerfect pro and/or drum session alongside cubasis.

I’ve mentioned this in other threads but still not found what I’m looking for so forgive me for repeating myself...

I’m aware there is an issue with using drumperfect pro as iaa with cubasis but as far as I know it’s only when sending midi from cubasis too drumperfect pro.

What I’m trying to do is have my drum app(s) running alongside cubasis so that I can use their own sequencers but have them synced to the cubasis timeline so that when I start cubasis mid way through a project the drum sequencer starts in the correct position. That way I can make changes to the drums as I write/record/produce my song and not have to bounce until I have finished recording and it’s time to mix.

Drumperfect pro generally crashes and so does cubasis when used as iaa but can I not sync the timelines via midi somehow without using it as an instrument within cubasis?

Drum session so far if I play my project say from the 2nd chorus it just starts drum session at the first bar...

I’m no doubt missing something obvious as usual. @LFS @Marinus @DerekBuddemeyer any help is very appreciated

Comments

• Let’s expand this to any drum app: Seekbeats, Elastic drums, patterning…

Does midi link sync work here?

• Sadly IAA was your only chance for tight sync and song position. Midi clock has song position, but endless problems with tight sync. Ableton Link is tight, but no song position. Have you gotten in touch with the developer of different drummer? They might not be readers here or know about your issue.

• @Bender_Rhodes said:
    Let’s expand this to any drum app: Seekbeats, Elastic drums, patterning…

Does midi link sync work here?

Expand away mate :-)

@Processaurus said:
    Sadly IAA was your only chance for tight sync and song position. Midi clock has song position, but endless problems with tight sync. Ableton Link is tight, but no song position. Have you gotten in touch with the developer of different drummer? They might not be readers here or know about your issue.

I’ve sort of mentioned it in other threads.. pretty sure they’re all active on this forum mate. Iaa with drum session doesn’t sync the timelines and I think there’s some sort of iaa bug when cubasis and drum perfect are combined

• this is easy to fix: don't use Cubasis! every time i dive deeper into Cubasis it throws me off. similar issue with FutureDrummer over here. most of the time Cubasis can't sync FutureDrummer as IAA generator. Audiobus does but then again, where to change bpm in a way that Cubasis recognizes the change...
    Cubasis is a constant pita in my books. ymmv

• @dermichl said:
    this is easy to fix: don't use Cubasis! every time i dive deeper into Cubasis it throws me off. similar issue with FutureDrummer over here. most of the time Cubasis can't sync FutureDrummer as IAA generator. Audiobus does but then again, where to change bpm in a way that Cubasis recognizes the change...

I find cubasis is the best program I’ve tried on iOS to record and arrange in and then I often mix in auria cos of the fabfilters and psp’ but to be honest I’m sick of constant trouble shooting in auria and I find it not the nicest all round experience to work in. What daw do you use that can sync the timelines mate?

• Most of the time I just export/render the audio from the apps I come across.
    I do not have FutureDrummer or DrumPerfect but I suspect they do offer some kind export/render options.

• @Extnctn6 said:

@dermichl said:
    this is easy to fix: don't use Cubasis! every time i dive deeper into Cubasis it throws me off. similar issue with FutureDrummer over here. most of the time Cubasis can't sync FutureDrummer as IAA generator. Audiobus does but then again, where to change bpm in a way that Cubasis recognizes the change...

I find cubasis is the best program I’ve tried on iOS to record and arrange in and then I often mix in auria cos of the fabfilters and psp’ but to be honest I’m sick of constant trouble shooting in auria and I find it not the nicest all round experience to work in. What daw do you use that can sync the timelines mate?

it works decently enough for this tasks (with some trade offs for sure). but as soon as you want to use it alongside other apps (FutureDrummer most of the time over here) things go weirdo and belly up...

• @Samu said:
    Most of the time I just export/render the audio from the apps I come across.
    I do not have FutureDrummer or DrumPerfect but I suspect they do offer some kind export/render options.

That’s what I’ve been doing mate but when I’m tayloring my beats to fit the other tracks in the project it does my nut in constantly going back and forth..

• edited November 2017

Has anyone been able to achieve this in Auria pro? See there’s a new update out so I’m hoping some of the bugs have been ironed out. I may as well have another go with it...

• Just spent a couple of hours experimenting with drum perfect pro in auria pro and it’s crashing in auria as well when used as iaa..

What is iaa for with regards drum perfect pro, why is it implemented in the program and how are people using it or is everyone just using it stand alone and then extracting audio files? I want to be able to work on my drums as I’m writing my songs!

@hellquist you said in my other thread you’d had it working in auria with timelines synced any chance you could walk me through it please mate? I’ve tried it on audio and midi tracks both as an insert fx and as an instrument. Set auria in the drum perfect pro settings ect but soon as i hit play it doesn’t behave..

Cheers

• Ohoy, sorry, was offline (recouperating from a 50th birthday bash for my friend yesterday). :)

Sure, I screengrabbed my Auria settings and the settings in DPP. Try to emulate that. With those settings the transport controls in Auria basically start/stop DPP as well as telling DPP where in song we are. DPP (all instruments) I have added to a midi channel in Auria, but I’m not recording anything to it, just listening to it as it plays in parallell. Also, often overseen, but still: remember to disable Link. -”There can be only one” (Macleod).

• Ok, somewhat scrambled order on those screenshots when uploaded from iPad, but also remembered there is ONE more thing: In the transport controls in DPP there is a button which has an arrow pointing on a clock. Check that too. Otherwise it wont know you want it to start as a slave. :)

• Oh, yes, @Extnctn6 , I should probably mention that I use "Network Session 1" only because I have an ICM4+ midi device connected, which basically creates so many midi end points that I can't scroll down to DPP or Auria, within each app. You can actually set them to talk directly too if you have fewer midi endpoints than I do. The important bit is to have enabled control at all and that you have turned off Link in DPP.

• wimwim
    edited November 2017

I can make it work in Cubasis as an IAA instrument:

• Turn off any midi routing on the channel. When I had it sending midi to DPP it wouldn’t work.
    • In DPP turn off any midi input
    • Turn off Ableton Link

Tempo and transport worked OK. Song position seemed dodgy. It would start on the right bar, but if I looped a section in Cubasis, it wouldn’t loop right. For instance. I looped bars 1-13 in Cubasis. DPP played to bar 13, but then looped back to bar 5 instead of 1. Then it looped bar 5-18.

• @hellquist thank you mate! I hope your party was good and that you recouperated from it ok. I’ll jump on this after work tonight and let you know how I get on :-)

@wim cheers mate I’ll give it a go

• LFSLFS
    edited November 2017

@dermichl said:

@dermichl
    Lots of negativity in your posting which not seems to be shared by others here.
    I remember similar postings from you in our own forum quite some time ago.
    If Cubasis is not your cup of tea, please don't use it and ask Apple for a refund.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@dermichl said:

@dermichl
    Lots of negativity in your posting which not seems to be shared by others here.
    I remember similar postings from you in our own forum quite some time ago.
    If Cubasis is not your cup of tea, please don't use it and ask Apple for a refund.

Best,
    Lars

I’m very happy with cubasis @Lars it’s my main iOS daw and has by far the smoothest workflow and intuitive UI in my opinion. I just wish I could get my drum apps to sync with it. Any input you might have so that I can get this working or so that I can give up and accept having to keep rendering the drums and move on would be greatly appreciated mate

• Right @Extnctn6 as you say Cubasis I had to see if I could get it to work exactly the same in Cubasis as I have it working in Auria. I could. It looks like in these screenshots (which will probably come in scrambled order again, as I’m sending this from my iPad again). I also really like Cubasis. The only reason I’m not using it daily right now is due to Twin2 being available in Auria (along with the other FF filters), but otherwise it is a 33% tossup what DAW I’m going with (Auria Pro, Cubasis and BM3 being the main options then).

• A few things could be noted: channel 10 is important. It is the traditional "drum midi channel" so I'm using it anyways, but I think that is also what DPP defaults to.

If set up as per above it will sync tempo and position. I just tested that with the above DPP pattern which is actually made in 120 BPM, but as you can see from the tempo as it plays, it has taken on the 90 BPM from Cubasis. I also ran it a couple of times and tried stopping/restarting it a couple of times, all without problems (apart from that I got a Metal drumkit behind an ambient track that were perhaps not ideal for each other, hehe, but still). :)

• @hellquist said:
    A few things could be noted: channel 10 is important. It is the traditional "drum midi channel" so I'm using it anyways, but I think that is also what DPP defaults to.

If set up as per above it will sync tempo and position. I just tested that with the above DPP pattern which is actually made in 120 BPM, but as you can see from the tempo as it plays, it has taken on the 90 BPM from Cubasis. I also ran it a couple of times and tried stopping/restarting it a couple of times, all without problems (apart from that I got a Metal drumkit behind an ambient track that were perhaps not ideal for each other, hehe, but still). :)

great work man. starred this thread as a keeper.

• LFSLFS
    edited November 2017

@Extnctn6 said:
    I’m very happy with cubasis @Lars it’s my main iOS daw and has by far the smoothest workflow and intuitive UI in my opinion. I just wish I could get my drum apps to sync with it. Any input you might have so that I can get this working or so that I can give up and accept having to keep rendering the drums and move on would be greatly appreciated mate

Hi Extnctn6,

Thanks for your positive feedback regarding Cubasis, appreciated.

We exchange with many app engineers to discuss end user's issues on a regular basis.
    It looks like "hellquist" provided a manageable workflow to run DPP flawlessly with Cubasis, correct=

In any case, I am offering to get in touch with both app developers to exchange about the issues.

In this case, please provide me with an exact step by step description per issue, plus environment info via private message. If helpful, please also consider uploading the project plus video (e.g. via Dropbox or similar).

Thanks,
    Lars

• @hellquist you da man! Thanks very much mate. Soon as I get in from work I’m gonna give your suggestions a try. I’ll report back as to how I get on.

@Lars thanks mate, I’ll see how I get on with hellquist’s walkthrough and get back to you if I need your help.

Thanks guys :-)

• I don't really understand what the problem is: do you want to use DDP as a drum instrument controlled by your sequencer's piano roll? This should be easy both in Auria and Cubasis, and yes, you must route MIDI out to the channel 10.

Or do you want to the use DrumPerfect Pro to write the drum track and just have it synced with your DAW? For this work with Auria, I just have to add DPP on a MIDI channel as a MIDI instrument (not in the FX slot as an IAA instrument, but as an actual MIDI instrument the same way I would add a FF Twin instance). Everything with automatically and perfectly sync, stopping and continuing correctly. Didn't test in Cubasis, just tested in Auria with a new project, but I bet it will work the same in Cubasis.

• Hi guys. Firstly apologies for taking a while to get back to you. Work has been particularly brutal this week and I’ve not had much free time.

I had a quick play last night at this in auria and cubasis and it seems to be working ok although in cubasis if I loop a region it doesn’t seem to like it and the cpu was still maxing our a fair bit when starting and stopping. I think in auria where I was going wrong is that I was loading into the fx slot as iaa and not the instrument slot.

I’ll have a better play with it tomorrow night and try to explain better where I went wrong in case it helps some one else but so far progress is good! Thanks very much especially @hellquist if this forum had a bar I’d buy you a pint mate :-P