Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS and OP-1

I have ordered an OP-1 and I was wondering if any of you use the iphone/ipad instead of the OP-1 tape recorder. OP-1's tape recorder is pretty cool it has some nice effects but it seems a bit tedious to work with and also it is limited to 4 tracks. I was thinking maybe an iOS app could complement the OP-1's tape recorder or maybe even replace it. Quantiloop seems pretty cool. Anyone suggestions?

Comments

• @fattigman said:
    I have ordered an OP-1 and I was wondering if any of you use the iphone/ipad instead of the OP-1 tape recorder. OP-1's tape recorder is pretty cool it has some nice effects but it seems a bit tedious to work with and also it is limited to 4 tracks. I was thinking maybe an iOS app could complement the OP-1's tape recorder or maybe even replace it. Quantiloop seems pretty cool. Anyone suggestions?

My 2 ways of using the op-1 when i had it were : 1.using it as standalone (forget everything u know and look up all the tape tricks and have fun, if u try to use it as a daw u will want to kill yourself)or
    2. Make parts and bits and upload to your computer and send those to auria pro or gadget or whatever u use and then build up.

I have to be pliable and let it guide u, not the other way around.

• edited October 2017

I actually do the complete opposite, most often than not I sample most things from iOS to tape.
    Or I just record live to tape via the input recording.

Sampling iOS things on it is a blissful joy.

I love the 4-track and it's workflow. I even sync both by hand/ear, getting better at it.

I usually leave a part alone so I can extract it and in the next segment I bounce a bunch of tracks together so I can keep working the sound, then I export the tape and grab the isolated sections. That way you can put a lot of independent tracks on a 4-track.

(If you want some tips on bouncing I have a few quick and fun workflow tips that I can give that make it all quite easy, I haven't people using it)

Working with the limitations has made me focus on the creative side of music, instead of the creative side of technology, which is way more fun/useful in the long run.

• @vpich and @Retzilience thank you for your tips. I haven't received the op-1 yet but I think I will try both your suggestions. @Retzilience yes If you have any tips on bouncing I'll be happybif you share. I spend most of the time with technology and I'd rather spend my time on creating music. I fool myself that technology will give me a shortcut to great music.

• @fattigman said:
    @vpich and @Retzilience thank you for your tips. I haven't received the op-1 yet but I think I will try both your suggestions. @Retzilience yes If you have any tips on bouncing I'll be happybif you share. I spend most of the time with technology and I'd rather spend my time on creating music. I fool myself that technology will give me a shortcut to great music.

I gather you are not in a hurry, so I can record a video for you tomorrow showing how to bounce 4 tracks into 1 in a really (really) fast way, all on tape mode, without jumping around modules.

(Most people I've seen discussing this use the sampler and album feature to bounce, which adds a lot of steps and gets me out of the flow, I don't recommend it.)

That way, if you preserve the original segment of 4 tracks you get 3 additional tracks every segment. So you don't have to worry about losing isolated parts, and it actually enhances the ideas you get from it and can quickly start using the creative momentum to lay out tunes in the additional tracks.

And remember the mix out on the 4-track is stereo, with panning and whatnot, but each individual track is mono. That made me fearful for a while, since I was so accustomed with everything stereo nowadays, but it actually really enhanced my focus on the sound, and as a collateral it improved my post mixing game a lot.

But, if stereo on a soundbite is essential to you, keep it on iOS. Maybe sample inside your mix to hear it alongside the rest of the music, but keep the original stereo recording safe.

If you are pushing yourself into focusing more on sound and less on technology this piece of hardware will do wonders for you if you give in to it. Embrace the lack of undo, embrace the mono, embrace the tape for a while and it will start to make sense.

• @Retzilience thanks, this is great info and you're right I'm not in a hurry so the best way share your knowledge is by creating a video. Thank you for beeing so helpful

• I always find the OP-1 gives me a different sound, so I use the tape. And 4 tracks yes, but you can overdub on them as well don’t forget.

• @fattigman said:
    @Retzilience thanks, this is great info and you're right I'm not in a hurry so the best way share your knowledge is by creating a video. Thank you for beeing so helpful

As promissed, recorded a little video in a spoof style of red means recording.
    Since you are about to immerse yourself in the OP-1 I left the recording parts, hope you enjoy it.

• @Retzilience wow a great trick. The TE team should link to this video. I'm very happy for this info and I'm so looking forward to get my hands on the OP-1. The video was pretty fun to watch too, thanks a lot.

• @Retzilience i appreciate the time it took to make that video. good job. i never tried to bounce down as much in order to be able to mute/and add other tricks to performances, but the great thing about good gear is having tons of options of how to make music.

• I am picking up a used op-1 on Wednesday? What is everyone’s favourite app combinations to use with it? I am so pumped lol