Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VividTracker: What is it good for?

I see it has ALHOOPA.

So, what does one use this for?

Thanks

Comments

• From what I can gather, it creates and edits .mod files and has compatibility with the Amiga ones which were a little non-standard. This from Wikipedia:

"MOD is a computer file format used primarily to represent music, and was the first module file format. MOD files use the “.MOD” file extension, except on the Amiga which doesn't rely on filename extensions, instead it reads a file's header to determine filetype."

So it is some kind of song file, with midi-type playback info as well as samples (15 I think). This app seems cool if you use the Volcas hardware because it is compatible with those too.

But that tracker interface has me groaning. Guess I should finally try to get used to those interfaces since I am trying to learn Sunvox lately. This does have midi too though so maybe you could just use that instead.

• @CracklePot said:
    From what I can gather, it creates and edits .mod files and has compatibility with the Amiga ones which were a little non-standard. This from Wikipedia:

"MOD is a computer file format used primarily to represent music, and was the first module file format. MOD files use the “.MOD” file extension, except on the Amiga which doesn't rely on filename extensions, instead it reads a file's header to determine filetype."

So it is some kind of song file, with midi-type playback info as well as samples (15 I think). This app seems cool if you use the Volcas hardware because it is compatible with those too.

But that tracker interface has me groaning. Guess I should finally try to get used to those interfaces since I am trying to learn Sunvox lately. This does have midi too though so maybe you could just use that instead.

Sunvox.
    Hmmm'

Been on the to do list for 6 years.....
    Appreciate your informed post.

• It's an amiga tracker

Does mod files and comes with Amiga samples

If you dislike tracker interface then it's not for you. Sunvox has other options such as using midi files

• Is Amiga more for nostalgia at this point?

Seems like what's the point, but then again the simplicity may be a good creative tool.

Doesn't this do something with wav files too?

• Yes, you can import your own samples

Amiga is part of the whole chiptunes thing and for some us, it's nostalgia. I loved the Amiga

I wouldn't really call it simple unless you're used to the tracker workflow but for some it's a lot faster than Modstep or Cubasis

Basically it's a work in progress port of Protracker
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProTracker
    But with the originals limitation of 4 tracks only

• Sometimes limitations can spark creativity...

• Everytime I see The Matrix I feel I was an operator back in the day when I used Fastracker I&II to make my first tunes over 1994... :sunglasses:

• @Samu Oh absolutely. I just thought it was worth knowing if you're new to trackers and comparing to sunvox

• edited October 2017

once (if?) you get into the way of the tracker it's a ton of fun. This tracker is no exception.

It also has the side benefit of exporting directly into Sunvox, (via "Open In") with commands and samples intact.

It's an interesting workflow: Vivid Tracker as a sketchpad for SunVox

program VividTracker using outboard QWERTY then export to SunVox for synths etc and further madness.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    once (if?) you get into the way of the tracker it's a ton of fun. This tracker is no exception.

It also has the side benefit of exporting directly into Sunvox, (via "Open In") with commands and samples intact.

It's an interesting workflow: Vivid Tracker as a sketchpad for SunVox

program VividTracker using outboard QWERTY then export to SunVox for synths etc and further madness.

As I wanted to dig into SunVox, do you think that VividTracker would help?
    SunVox also eats MIDI files, or?

• edited July 2018

@tja
    You can definitely import midi files into SunVox
    VividTracker is very traditional tracker, (it’s an attempt to port a very old tracker to iOS) and is fun if you’re into that experience. I don’t think it helps (or hurts) with learning about SunVox. It came up here because SunVox can open .mod files made in VividTracker, which can be a fun way to start a SunVox project.

This is also true of the wonderful Pixitracker app made by the SunVox developer, which also exports a project file that can be opened and worked on further in SunVox. PixTracker doesn’t have a tracker GUI, it’s more like iSequence HD in workflow (though far simpler with fewer parameters) and for that reason is very easy to make things in, and then export for expansion in its big brother SunVox

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixitracker/id480082201?mt=8

But in both cases (VividTracker and Pixitracker) the projects are sample based and are very simple compared to what SunVox can do. They amount to sketch pads whose sketches can be shipped into SunVox where they can be developed into complex epic compositions

A more direct way to get comfortable in SunVox is checking out the example projects that ship inside SunVox, and reverse engineering those. Also the SunVox manual has embedded links to many many video tutorials.

http://www.warmplace.ru/wiki/sunvox:manual_en#modulator

Enjoy!

• @tja said:

Public service announcement: Sunvox is a great, inexpensive modular midi synth. You can totally ignore the tracker part of Sunvox if you're not interested in it.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@tja said:

Public service announcement: Sunvox is a great, inexpensive modular midi synth. You can totally ignore the tracker part of Sunvox if you're not interested in it.

+1 true that

• I hadn’t realized he added audiobus3 and midi support last month.

• @rezidue said:

I hadn’t realized he added audiobus3 and midi support last month.

Files app supported added in yesterday’s (today’s? Every time I update something it shows up a second time for the same update)