Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Egoistic - how often the devs update it?

2»

Comments

• @zhoe said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    ReSlice is a good starter drug of the two options. Eventually you'll be hitting the Egoist (maybe wait for the annual sale?) because as someone else said it's more than the sum of its parts. I keep thinking BM3 will supplant it because it's deeper/more flexible, but I continue to use Egoist more with BM3 (and even ReSlice too in some cases). Between these three, I haven't opened Samplr in months.

Good point. BM3 is definitely a center piece if you're into serious sampling, but I like the intuitiveness and quickness of the Samplr. As well as its limitations. I've been playing with ReSlice the last 15mins..and it is great, but I see your point. All I am trying to achieve is to create a set up so I can use it as a performance tool, but in a more organic way (sample manipulations in real time while the sequencer is running). Trying to get outta same ol' loops going nowhere, so to speak.

Ahh the elusive performance sampler.

• @zhoe said:
    Good point. BM3 is definitely a center piece if you're into serious sampling, but I like the intuitiveness and quickness of the Samplr. As well as its limitations. I've been playing with ReSlice the last 15mins..and it is great, but I see your point. All I am trying to achieve is to create a set up so I can use it as a performance tool, but in a more organic way (sample manipulations in real time while the sequencer is running). Trying to get outta same ol' loops going nowhere, so to speak.

I actually use ReSlice for realtime sample manipulations--much more so than Egoist. I actually think Egoist creates more interesting base loops than ReSlice's arps. So, I'll get Egoist rolling along and then play the slices on-screen in ReSlice. Great fun!

• @AudioGus said:

@zhoe said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    ReSlice is a good starter drug of the two options. Eventually you'll be hitting the Egoist (maybe wait for the annual sale?) because as someone else said it's more than the sum of its parts. I keep thinking BM3 will supplant it because it's deeper/more flexible, but I continue to use Egoist more with BM3 (and even ReSlice too in some cases). Between these three, I haven't opened Samplr in months.

Ahh the elusive performance sampler.

:-)

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@zhoe said:

I actually use ReSlice for realtime sample manipulations--much more so than Egoist. I actually think Egoist creates more interesting base loops than ReSlice's arps. So, I'll get Egoist rolling along and then play the slices on-screen in ReSlice. Great fun!

Oh..that sound interesting! I have to say, I'd buy Egoist straight away, if, instead of drum/bass had three slicer-tracks, so to speak. Then I'd definitely use it as a performance tool, the center piece.

• edited October 2017

@zhoe said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@zhoe said:

Oh..that sound interesting! I have to say, I'd buy Egoist straight away, if, instead of drum/bass had three slicer-tracks, so to speak. Then I'd definitely use it as a performance tool, the center piece.

If you have a midi keyboard with some encoders, Egoist is an excellent performance sampler. Instead of thinking it is one screen with a slicer, think of it as many screens with many slicers. You can switch between these in realtime with a midi keyboard. I'm not even doing it justice since it's deeper than that.

I highly recommend watching the 5 part tutorial on YouTube from sugarbytes!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

If you have a midi keyboard with some encoders, Egoist is an excellent performance sampler. Instead of thinking it is one screen with a slicer, think of it as many screens with many slicers. You can switch between these in realtime with a midi keyboard. I'm not even doing it justice since it's deeper than that.

You mean the patterns, parts, etc? That's true and it definitely extends the possibilities, but I have to say that there are times where I want to run two instances of the slicer simultaneously. This is where I'll run Egoist with either ReSlice or BM3 (using Ableton Link). I still think that if I could run two slicers in Egoist, I could do almost everything I need from a performance perspective in Egoist. And while I was initially dismissive of the bass/drum modules, I have come around to how elegantly they work with the slicer.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

You mean the patterns, parts, etc? That's true and it definitely extends the possibilities, but I have to say that there are times where I want to run two instances of the slicer simultaneously. This is where I'll run Egoist with either ReSlice or BM3 (using Ableton Link). I still think that if I could run two slicers in Egoist, I could do almost everything I need from a performance perspective in Egoist. And while I was initially dismissive of the bass/drum modules, I have come around to how elegantly they work with the slicer.

I used to have 2 iPads with midi keyboard for each and having egoist feeding into effectrix on both of them was pretty amazing!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yep, this.
    Not sure whether anyone replied, but Egoist does have Ableton link, or not? I am seriously considering buying another iPad next year, and use two live. I mean, why not. It's still best value for money if you already invested in so many apps. Which I did, and you guys did as well.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@zhoe said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@zhoe said:

I have a midi keyboard, but it's not good for that. Old stuff, piano weighted keys and all that. I do use iRig Pads as my only external gear, plus Volca sample. Re: keyboard, I might have to buy something smaller.

• @zhoe said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yep, this.
    Not sure whether anyone replied, but Egoist does have Ableton link, or not? I am seriously considering buying another iPad next year, and use two live.

It does indeed have Link.
    As a side note it seems some people are having problems with this app only on iPad Pro. There was a thread on that recently. Think it is graphics related and I would imagine it will get fixed soon..

• @zhoe said:
    Yep, this.
    Not sure whether anyone replied, but Egoist does have Ableton link, or not? I am seriously considering buying another iPad next year, and use two live. I mean, why not. It's still best value for money if you already invested in so many apps. Which I did, and you guys did as well.

Yes, Egoist has Link.

Note that ReSlice is universal and the top panel is big enough to play the slices on the smaller screen, as long as you have less than 10 slices or so. Link your iPhone and iPad together!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

I used to have 2 iPads with midi keyboard for each and having egoist feeding into effectrix on both of them was pretty amazing!

Wow! Sounds great. Why did you sell it if not a secret? To excessive..? I could honestly see myself using two (even three, but ok...:) iPads. Great touch screens, what is there not to love? :) p.s. waiting for iOS12 which will extend split screen possibilities even more ;)

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@zhoe said:
    Yep, this.

Yes, Egoist has Link.

Note that ReSlice is universal and the top panel is big enough to play the slices on the smaller screen, as long as you have less than 10 slices or so. Link your iPhone and iPad together!

iPhone..my next purchase...bear with me! ;)

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@zhoe said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yep, this.
    Not sure whether anyone replied, but Egoist does have Ableton link, or not? I am seriously considering buying another iPad next year, and use two live.

It does indeed have Link.
    As a side note it seems some people are having problems with this app only on iPad Pro. There was a thread on that recently. Think it is graphics related and I would imagine it will get fixed soon..

I do have iPad Pro 9.7.

• @zhoe said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Wow! Sounds great. Why did you sell it if not a secret? To excessive..? I could honestly see myself using two (even three, but ok...:) iPads. Great touch screens, what is there not to love? :) p.s. waiting for iOS12 which will extend split screen possibilities even more ;)

Needed to take care of some health issues, most of hardware had to go... I don't even have a camera connection kit here anymore!

2 iPads and maybe an iPhone or the latest iPod touch for use on the bus etc is plenty, you would struggle to use 3 simultaneously!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@zhoe said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Needed to take care of some health issues, most of hardware had to go... I don't even have a camera connection kit here anymore!

2 iPads and maybe an iPhone or the latest iPod touch for use on the bus etc is plenty, you would struggle to use 3 simultaneously!

I agree. Two sounds perfect though. Hope your health issues were solved.

• @zhoe said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@zhoe said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Multiple devices are great to have if you have friends over, especially in these days of Ableton Link!

Doing a lot better now thanks, my app addiction is well under control too.

For those out there who fall on hard times and still crave the new and shiny things I have two words "Beta testing"

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@zhoe said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@zhoe said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Multiple devices are great to have if you have friends over, especially in these days of Ableton Link!

For those out there who fall on hard times and still crave the new and shiny things I have two words "Beta testing"

:smiley: wise!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@zhoe said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@zhoe said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

• @zhoe I made an epic guide to Egoist when it came out, it goes through everything in the app

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @zhoe I made an epic guide to Egoist when it came out, it goes through everything in the app

I learnt a lot from this. When I first bought Egoist I just went mad with the randomisers and had everything turned up to 11. After watching this I calmed down a bit, and learned how to build up a track slowly. Essential viewing for getting the most from the app.

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @zhoe I made an epic guide to Egoist when it came out, it goes through everything in the app

Thanks a lot for this!

• Egoist is an ultimate remix machine. Load slices of a song into the slicer, get the beat going, string it up with song mode. Voila!