Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do you handle midi and audio with Iphone 7

edited October 2017 in Support and Feedback

Hi,

I was just wondering how do you manage to eg connect a USB midi device and audio out from an Iphone 7.

I am about to get either a Iphone 6s or a 7 and was wondering if with the 7 all chances of making music with my current set up are gone ( currently I connect my 5S with Irig Midi and from mini jack out to my audio interface).

Thanks

Comments

• I think that without the headphone socket it's a pain in the arse.

• There are a number of iOS-compliant audio interfaces with MIDI support. I have an Apogee Duet (Mac/iOS), which was stupid expensive, but I bought it for use with Logic Pro. iOS support was just a perk. There are cheaper options out there.

If you have a Mac, you can record directly via Lightning. It supports audio and MIDI and works really, really well.

• Wouldn’t you just go interface to usb hub to adapter to iPhone? Connect a controller to the USB hub.

• edited October 2017

@ipadthai said:
    Wouldn’t you just go interface to usb hub to adapter to iPhone? Connect a controller to the USB hub.

Yep. You'll need a Lightning to USB adapter (aka "CCK") and either

1) a single USB device that does both audio and MIDI I/O
    2) a USB hub, an audio interface and a midi interface

Lots and lots of options out there. https://www.google.com/search?q=interface+site:forum.audiob.us for opinions. If there's a Craigslist in your area, you'll likely find loads there as well. Check in both the music and the computer/electronics area. Just have to make sure anything you buy is "USB Class Compliant". For new stuff, Sweetwater does a nice job of collecting/organizing. https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio-recording/ios/

There are two Apple CCKs out there now. One allows you to simultaneously charge the device for 10 bucks more.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897273-REG/Apple_md821zm_a_LIGHTNING_TO_USB_CAMERA.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1241761-REG/apple_mk0w2am_a_lightning_to_usb_3_0.html

Don't bother with non-apple adapters. You'll lose money in the end.

• Non apple but works well and charges your phone:

http://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/plugkey/

• edited October 2017

HI

Thank you all but maybe just to clarify.
    I already have an audio interface that I used to record the minijack audio out.
    I had already the irig midi which allowed me to connect midi to my Iphone ( and charge it at the same time). The thing is if I can find a dongle that lets me continue working the way I did. Maybe one of these two lighting port dongles allow me to :

1) let me use the irig midi for the midi in
    2) let me take audio out with the lighting to minijack converter.

Any experience ?

PS: I also have a spare CCK ( the old one not charging). And of course I could attach to that USB hub + DAC sold in Amazon for 17$ but then I could not charge my Iphone as I can do with irig midi.

• Just gone through the same problem!
    I’m using a plugable hub and a plugable usb audio adapter.

• @AlexB said:
    HI

Thank you all but maybe just to clarify.
    I already have an audio interface that I used to record the minijack audio out.
    I had already the irig midi which allowed me to connect midi to my Iphone ( and charge it at the same time). The thing is if I can find a dongle that lets me continue working the way I did. Maybe one of these two lighting port dongles allow me to :

1) let me use the irig midi for the midi in
    2) let me take audio out with the lighting to minijack converter.

Any experience ?

PS: I also have a spare CCK ( the old one not charging). And of course I could attach to that USB hub + DAC sold in Amazon for 17$ but then I could not charge my Iphone as I can do with irig midi.

I tried with a splitter that lets you plug in the lightning earbuds and charge at the same time - no luck connecting the second output to a USB hub and then to an interface. It only works for charging. So, my iRig HD, which relied on the headphone jack for audio out can't be used with the phone. Luckily I have an old Lexicon Lambda that works. Not great, but I can still use the phone instead of the iPad if I need to.

I don't know of any dongle short of a full audio interface that will let you connect via USB and monitor at the same time.