Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Scythe: A new wavetable synth with duplicate name in App Store

2»

Comments

• I’m still using AB2, but Scythe has now been updated twice since launch. It now supports AudioShare direct without needing to copy paste. More voices now, so it’s got a fuller sound. And now it supports AudioBus. I can confirm it works with AB2. Perhaps someone else can confirm AB3?

No midi yet, but this dev appears to be in the ball. :)

• Mmmm.....strange synth, or part there of?

• Anybody know if 14.99 is a sale price or if it's the new, permenant price?

• When I bought Scythe I broke all my rules for purchasing an app. Rather expensive for the features I could see. No website for support. No documentation. No Settings area and no MIDI out. After rereading this forum through several times a few days ago I was starting to wonder who are these people? Since I’m a newbie I didn’t say anything. To be honest I was a little puzzled by what I was reading. It was like only one person, maybe two, listened to a demo of Scythe was actually catching the point. It was like it it was a bunch of nerds, geeks, developers or something (I’m a reforming geek. Sadly, at one point I could have given Sheldon Cooper pointers). Then jumpercollins said something that confirmed my thinking, ‘…it actually sounds pretty good…leave it to the musicians to see’. Now a lot of those posts have been removed from the forum now for whatever reason.

One post said it was too expensive. Skipping Starbucks for a week would pay for it. Another said that PPG Infinite was the standard all Wave Table synthesizers should be measured against, etc. All missing the point…What does it sound like?!

There is also confusion about a previous synth app called Scythe (not available in the US…anymore?) and this Wave Table synth Scythe. They are two completely different synth apps by two different developers. The older Scythe synth, that developer says he’s given up dealing with Apple’s policies, and if my letter isn’t convincing, they have stopped any iOS development all together. That Scythe is not a Wave Table synthesizer.

You can’t judge synth apps by features alone. Does it have a musical ‘personality? And the Wave Table Scythe definitely has that! You can get down, gritty/dirty with the Wave Table Scythe, something PPG Infinite doesn’t do, but what Infinite does, it does better than any other Wave Table synth to date. All Wave Table synths are not the same anymore than all Analog or Digital synths are.

Is Wave Table Scythe missing features? Yes and no. On one level Scythe is fine pretty much as it is (except it does need a MIDI interface). On another level it could use some additional features like manually manipulating the Wave Table. What Scythe offers is a “Duel’ Wave Table synth that you can get a synergistic ‘third’ voice from the interaction of the two Wave Table voice’s harmonics, etc. Audio import works ok for me via AudioShare. I imported a Scythe aifc recording, converting it to a Wave Table. That’s on my 1st gen iPad Pro on iOS 10.3.3.

What I’m finding with Wave Table Scythe right now is that I can make some pretty intensely ominous soundscapes! I can’t wait to see what this developers does with Scythe in the future.

• This app seems to be growing now, I’ve done a total u turn on it. Last week I actually asked for a refund. But have decided to buy it again as I really like the sound scraping possibilities and the easy to use GUI. Here’s hoping for midi in the next update.

• this reminds me of Cyclop.

• One post said it was too expensive. Skipping Starbucks for a week would pay for it. Another said that PPG Infinite was the standard all Wave Table synthesizers should be measured against, etc. All missing the point…What does it sound like?!

I stand by this. Without MIDI it's a toy, and $15 is too expensive for a toy, particularly when there are several excellent wave table synths for only a few dollars more.

• @Eriptron said:
    Now a lot of those posts have been removed from the forum now for whatever reason.

They're still there; it's just that the thread has spilled on to a second page. I'm liking it, and missing MIDI and fx less than I'd expected; it's geared more to latched evolving drones than melodic playing, so isn't really a direct competitor to Nave or PPG or Poseidon. (But I'd still like to have MIDI in down the line.)

• I know midi is high on the list. I'd wager it's the very next thing. And, although.. who knows when it comes to devs and their pricing, I'm told the current pricing will still for at least a little while.

I love this thing. Midi will be nice, but it's pretty awesome as is in my book. To each their own though.

• I just picked up PPG Infinite last week and only regret not getting it sooner. Are wavegenerator and wavemapper completely different beasts, or a little redundant w/ Infinite?

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I just picked up PPG Infinite last week and only regret not getting it sooner. Are wavegenerator and wavemapper completely different beasts, or a little redundant w/ Infinite?

I guess that depends how deep you want to go. I am fortunate to have picked up all the PPG apps with each release and all are stunning. Yes, there are some similarities but also they can be quite different in many ways.

WaveMapper, WaveGenerator and Phonem can all be used to ‘feed’ Infinite. For example, with WaveGenerator you can create your own wavetables however, I am sure you have seen Infinite offers so much in its own right and is such a refined offering from Wolfgang (dev). So not essential but a fine collection to own.

As this post is in a thread about Scythe (wavetable) it is worth pointing that too is capable of some great results, offering lots of control mostly on one page without going as deep as the PPG stuff. Pretty good all the same and interesting to see how this one develops.

• This one also sent me back (with PPGs) to Poseidon and Nave. And bought it still and am enjoying it. There's more to do- a little at least, though the others show how deep one could go

• @Trueyorky said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I just picked up PPG Infinite last week and only regret not getting it sooner. Are wavegenerator and wavemapper completely different beasts, or a little redundant w/ Infinite?

I guess that depends how deep you want to go. I am fortunate to have picked up all the PPG apps with each release and all are stunning. Yes, there are some similarities but also they can be quite different in many ways.

WaveMapper, WaveGenerator and Phonem can all be used to ‘feed’ Infinite. For example, with WaveGenerator you can create your own wavetables however, I am sure you have seen Infinite offers so much in its own right and is such a refined offering from Wolfgang (dev). So not essential but a fine collection to own.

As this post is in a thread about Scythe (wavetable) it is worth pointing that too is capable of some great results, offering lots of control mostly on one page without going as deep as the PPG stuff. Pretty good all the same and interesting to see how this one develops.

I’ve barely scratched the surface with Infinite, with so many layers I’ve yet to uncover. I can’t get enough of the lush sound though, so it’s nice to hear that Wolfgang’s other apps have enough unique qualities to be worthwhile on their own or in conjunction w/ each other.

Definitely keeping my eye on scythe ., sounds like it has a lot of potential as well.

• Does anyone have any conclusive info that midi is coming?

I bought it and NEVER imagined to even check if it had midi

Who would make a synth without MIDI?

Kind of bummed but kind of pissed.

And, no website.

This is a rarity but thinking I may have to pull the refund trigger for the first time in years.

• If you go for a refund, the original copy of the app stays on your iPad which I didn’t know, obviously no updates. I think the app will mature in time so brought it again and used it in my last session.

• edited November 2017

@RUST( i )K said:
    Does anyone have any conclusive info that midi is coming?

And, no website.

This is a rarity but thinking I may have to pull the refund trigger for the first time in years.

I'm beta testing... AB3 is coming VERY soon. I'd hold off on your itchy "refund finger" if I were you. This dev wasn't given a fair shake and appears to be passionate about his work and committed.

• @skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Does anyone have any conclusive info that midi is coming?

And, no website.

I'm beta testing... AB3 is coming VERY soon. I'd hold off on your itchy "refund finger" if I were you. This dev wasn't given a fair shake and appears to be passionate about his work and committed.

FYI: I meant AB3 midi is coming very soon. Core midi after that.

• Just got the update but can’t load MIDI in Audiobus.

• @JudgeDredd said:
    Just got the update but can’t load MIDI in Audiobus.

I saw the AB3 midi update, but I can't comment because I'm still using AB2. I do know that for now, midi is AB3 only. The dev tells me core midi is coming next.

Also, he's very approachable and seems fairly passionate about this stuff. Try messaging him about specifics. He appears to be in it for the long haul, and he's evidently a new convert and HUGE fan of AB3 now.

• @skiphunt said:

I saw the AB3 midi update, but I can't comment because I'm still using AB2. I do know that for now, midi is AB3 only. The dev tells me core midi is coming next.

Also, he's very approachable and seems fairly passionate about this stuff. Try messaging him about specifics. He appears to be in it for the long haul, and he's evidently a new convert and HUGE fan of AB3 now.

In AB3 it would just loop back from the Tap to fix to the Launching then crash. Tryed the reboot and clearing everything out but still no joy.

I will reach out to the dev and see if we can work it out.

• Hi guys,

@JudgeDredd - could you please email me at [email protected]?

I am able to send external midi to Scythe using Ableton via Audiobus (IAA port) and am able to send within iPad using Animoog through Audiobus.

Just to confirm, Scythe is only accepting midi in at the moment, its not sending midi.

• @jarryd said:
    Hi guys,

@JudgeDredd - could you please email me at [email protected]?

I am able to send external midi to Scythe using Ableton via Audiobus (IAA port) and am able to send within iPad using Animoog through Audiobus.

Just to confirm, Scythe is only accepting midi in at the moment, its not sending midi.

Email sent with as much detail and step by step as I could.

• Thanks for the support @jarryd got it sorted and it loads in AB3. Little tricky mind you but it loads and BAM awesomeness!

This is one of the good developers guys, and the synth is cranking out some full wicked sound.

• It is down to 7,99 Euro, which makes it more interesting.

• So what is the midi status? It has midi in?

• edited March 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:
    So what is the midi status? It has midi in?

Yes, tested in AUM, Cubasis, uses IAA midi in, also lists external midi sources