Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Internal audio recording from apps

Hey there!

Im a guitar player using garageband and audiobus for my recording needs.

I recently purchased (24£ !!!) an app called Doctor Compas, as I work on flamenco-ish compositions.

Now im stumped as to how I can route the cajon and claps audio from this app to record into garageband, as it doesnt support audiobus.

Perhaps some app that lets me record internal audio when i play this app?

Comments

• There isn't much you can do if the app doesn't support AB or IAA.

• If you have iOS11 and AudioStretch, plus probably AudioShare, you can do it in a convoluted way.

First open the app you want to record, then open the iOS screen recorder and record the screen video with audio while the app you want to record is playing back. Make sure you are not recording the mic input by long-pressing the screen recorder button to get the options/controls and make sure the mic is not selected as sound source. This way it records the app's sound in mono directly.

Next, use AudioStretch to obtain a separate audio file. Import your ScreenCap movie from your photos gallery, and simply export/share the audio portion from AudioStretch. You may need AudioShare to easily move the audio file to GarageBand or whatever you are using. If your app of choice does not show up as a share destination, then you need AudioShare. Export to AudioShare, then from AudioShare you should be able to export it to the app you are using.

• Oh ure the man!!!! This worked like a charm!

Captured the video & Audio Stretch > Cloud drive....and access it thru garageband!

Ure a lifesaver!!!

• Cool. Glad to have helped you out. Good to know the Cloud drive export works as well, I may be using that method too now.

• Screen Recording is quite neat but it's still in mono, hope Apple fixes!
    Screen Recording from iPad to Mac is in stereo...

The 'bit-rate' at which audio is encoded is quite lowish but for casual usage it works quite well and to my knowledge it's the only way to internally sample Spotify without time-limits. For Youtube it's better to rip the streams :)

• That’s is actually completely awesome... you can screen record, pop into AudioStretch then straight out to BM3..

Thanks dude.

• @Samu said:
    Screen Recording is quite neat but it's still in mono, hope Apple fixes!

The 'bit-rate' at which audio is encoded is quite lowish but for casual usage it works quite well and to my knowledge it's the only way to internally sample Spotify without time-limits. For Youtube it's better to rip the streams :)

Any estimate to what the nitrate actually is out of interest?

• Woah. Crazy genius workaround. Impressed

• @gusgranite said:

@Samu said:

Between 80–130 kbps in my tests. It’s mono so quite sufficient for ’sampling’ with no severe audible artifacts :)

• @Samu said:

@gusgranite said:

@Samu said:

Between 80–130 kbps in my tests. It’s mono so quite sufficient for ’sampling’ with no severe audible artifacts :)

Nitrate lol. Thanks Samu!

• @gusgranite said:

@Samu said:

@gusgranite said:

@Samu said:

Nitrate lol. Thanks Samu!

It works quite well for 'mono sources', I mean SidTracker 64 exports 256kbs AAC which is total overkill :D

• @Samu said:

Samu, I don’t understand what you mean with the bolded sentence?
    I can rip Spotify internal... But, you must mean something else...?

• @ErrkaPetti said:

If you have a good way to 'rip/record' Spotify content internally on one iPad I'd be happy to be enlightened as to how to do it. Last update to DJay 2 disabled recording of Spotify. I used it before to record Spotify tracks to audio for export but now it's a no-go. So I have to resort to using screen-redording to record the spotify.app and then extract the audio...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Samu said:

Wondering about the same Samu :smiley:

• I use the interface trick. Gonna copy from Maria (from the Facebook group (who copied from @PaulB if i'm not wrong)), because i'm lazy to type it all lol:

• 1) Hook up the interface via a CCK as normal.
    • 2) Start Audiobus.
    • 3) Start up Meteor in the output slot. (Other recording apps may work if they can do the following steps).
    • 4) Pan the master output completely to the right.
    • 5) Start and set up your non Audiobus app.
    • 6) Plug the left output of the interface into the left input of the interface using a phono to phono lead.
    • 7) Monitor using either the headphone output of the interface or the right phono output.
    • Set the recording track to mono audio and arm ready for recording.
    • 9) Start recording and switch to the non Audiobus app.
  • I use the field recorder trick sometimes. With headphone output to line input on my Zoom H1, I can ultimately get 24-bit 96 kHz stereo .wav file recordings of anything my iPad can pump out of the headphone jack.

But then I have to jump through the stupid file management loops to get them onto my iPad since I cannot just transfer across USB. So for lo-fi I just screen record now.