Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SPIRITUALITY & FAITH: Role in your music?

Comments

• @CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:
    Everything I do is always in service to the great and powerful Cthulhu. ;)

Is that Flying Spaghetti Monster's papa?

Chupacabra?> @rumorazzi said:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

@skiphunt said:

• @RUST( i )K said:

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

Is that Flying Spaghetti Monster's papa?

Chupacabra?> @rumorazzi said:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

@skiphunt said:

Chupacabra?

• @MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@High5denied said:
    Nearly 2 full pages, of what could be a very "Hot", divisive topic.....and, what I've read has been great! Learning what, or how others may incorporate God/faith/spirituality....or the like into their music creation. Or, even the humorous reply has been fun to read.

See, we can play nice together. ;) >:) o:)

Ironically, the tolerance exhibited thus far is a definite spiritual as well as social principle.

I think that’s a credit to your opening post - we’re not debating religion/spirituality/whatever, just discussing the effect it might have on our music. Anything that aids creativity is a good thing in my book, regardless of where it originates.

Thank you.

Funny since a good portion of my life was spent destroying.

Now I attempt to create and fill the voids back in the world.

As a Scorpio, it is what I do.

• I often see wonder in the simplest of things, so much so, that, even that which lies in arms reach, would take me several lifetimes to only start to comprehend. When out and about just seeing a simple smile, warms my very soul.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Not sure whether it’s the spiritual connection thing again, but her voice, Kate Bush, Nick Harper and a few others seem to improve my painting output. Another cosmic connection maybe.

Coincidentally, we were listening to a KB track last night, just her without any instruments, singing ‘My Lagan Love.’ Now that was spiritual.

• @Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Not sure whether it’s the spiritual connection thing again, but her voice, Kate Bush, Nick Harper and a few others seem to improve my painting output. Another cosmic connection maybe.

Coincidentally, we were listening to a KB track last night, just her without any instruments, singing ‘My Lagan Love.’ Now that was spiritual.

Yes it’s lovely that one - ‘Under the ivy’ another favourite, and side two of the Hounds of Love album. Inspiring, uplifting magic.

• @knewspeak said:
    I often see wonder in the simplest of things, so much so, that, even that which lies in arms reach, would take me several lifetimes to only start to comprehend. When out and about just seeing a simple smile, warms my very soul.

I agree so much.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Do God, Gods, or lack of such figures matter to your music?

Do your other worldly or spiritual practices, sometimes called religion play a role in the music you make?

How so?

No GOD or GODS in my world, allthough I’ve written music for our church...
    I mean it’s wonderful sacral music out there, Mozart’s requiem is fantastic :smile:

However, my 4 years of studying particle physics has had a profound impact on my music.

• edited October 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I never pay attention to the sentiment in a record, it’s all about the sound to me.

Funny because I always really stuck with jazz and electronic music because I didn't want to hear someone else's story.

So I wrote my own.

I hear the individual words, but the meaning doesn't register, occasionally a single line will stick. I've always been the same, and i guess this is why I don't write or sing, I have tried in the past but have to really force stuff out, which I don't enjoy or want to do.
    Sound on the other hand, what I feel in my gut determines if I like it or not, no thinking required.

Very similar to me, that. I enjoy a good lyric, but I'm more attracted to the tonal quality of the voice. Elisabeth Fraser for example, sang gibberish on most of the Cocteau Twins records, but her voice moves me to another level.

I would love to get my hands on some solo vocal tracks from Cocteau Twins stuff, I popped into this thread to say something similar about her voice. I read she is often referred to as 'the voice of god'. Hope Sandovals and Kim Deals voices have a similar effect on me at times.

Years ago I went to a yoga class on a whim, was extremely out of shape with zero balance and hated every second of it but felt it would be rude to just leave halfway through. During the relaxation part, they turned off all the lights and the teacher started playing a gong. In that moment I realised the power of sound! Left that class feeling transformed.

It's a shame that the intense effect doesn't translate on a recording and would love to install a huge gong here but don't think my neighbors would approve! I do finally have a few of them on my iPad now thanks to the Orchestral Percussion pack that UVI released for BeatHawk recently.

• My lyrics are often about god and the divine nature of everything. Music is my favorite piece of this whole beautiful universe, and I make music for Music's sake.

• Interesting to read how music ‘speaks’ to some contributors, in a way that lyrics don’t.

For me, being a lyricist who dabbles with music, it’s the other way around.

The lyric tells the story. For sure, there is instrumental only music that stirs imagination and emotions, but one without the other is like fish without chips. ;)

Imagine ‘Stairway to Heaven’ or ‘Love Lies Bleeding’ or ‘Layla’ as separate music and poetry. Individually they are all great, but together there is a special magic.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    True. But we can always agree to disagree respectfully and as musicians even better since we share the same gift.

All the music I make is for God! I feel blessed to be gifted in this respect, and while I respect all others making music for whatever drives them, for me, faith and gratitude to the creator of music, is my main music driving force.

There was a dude one day that heard one of my songs which I made in the early 90s that was about to OD and commit suicide. Well, his mother was playing my bands cassette in the kitchen, he heard a song playing and it touched his soul. He called out to his mother and told her what he was about to do. Well I got the call at home that evening of him crying on the phone telling me the whole story and asking to never stop singing for God, because of a Song he heard, He was touched and changed his heart from what he was about to do to himself.

Sometimes the songs we record, we think, he this song is going nowhere, but wow, that song saved a life.

Priceless.

I say this, to God be all the honor and praise!

• There is just us making and listening to music. There is no god and no evidence whatsoever that one exists. No heaven. No hell. No afterlife. Just us and music.

• @UkiahBlog said:
    There is just us making and listening to music. There is no god and no evidence whatsoever that one exists. No heaven. No hell. No afterlife. Just us and music.

>

Music, for me, is the one true universal religion. A faith that asks of its followers just one thing: listen. Some may argue that the gift of music comes from God, and there is no evidence to disprove that.

We do have abundant anecdotal evidence of something intruding from what science now speaks of as possible alternate dimensions. Such things are responsible for all our legends of gods and the suernatural, and since music was first made, have been a source of inspiration.

• Forgot to mention that I read somewhere that music itself started as an actual spiritual expression:)

• @Kühl said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Do your other worldly or spiritual practices, sometimes called religion play a role in the music you make?

How so?

I mean it’s wonderful sacral music out there, Mozart’s requiem is fantastic :smile:

However, my 4 years of studying particle physics has had a profound impact on my music.

I may have misread.

NO God or Gods.

Our church.......

Help me out here........ ;)

• @gusgranite said:
    Nice thread @RUST( i )K :wink:

Thank you

Seriously

• edited October 2017

@Love3quency said:
    Forgot to mention that I read somewhere that music itself started as an actual spiritual expression:)

I find this type of stuff fascinating, proper old school!

"An effectively random selection of megalithic chambered sites in England and Ireland were tested for their natural (primary) resonant frequencies, with only the great chambered passage-mound of Newgrange in Ireland being pre-selected due to the need for special permission. The findings surprised the ICRL researchers: all the investigated chambers were found to have a natural primary resonance frequency in the 95-120 Hertz band, with most at 110-112 Hz – this despite variations in sizes and shapes of the chambers. There was even some evidence of “retro-fitting”, as if internal features within the chambers had been placed to “tune” the natural resonance to the required frequency. The great chamber of Newgrange resonates effectively at 110 Hz, and the 19m (62-foot) passage behaves like a wind instrument, with sound waves generated within the chamber filling it, their amplitude decreasing towards the entrance.
    The 110 Hz frequency is in the baritone range – the second lowest level of the male singing voice. It is therefore possible to speculate that chanting male voices could have been used in these supposed tombs for the silent dead. This could have been on ritual occasions, or for oracular purposes, in either case most probably at those times of year marked by the entrance of sunbeams into the chambers, for these sites are astronomically aligned – at the 5000-year-old Newgrange, for instance, the beams of the rising midwinter sun shine through a special roof box above the passage entrance, down the long passage and into the central chamber, making the stones there glow like living gold."

http://www.landscape-perception.com/archaeoacoustics/

• I'm really proud of everyone here for having what could be an awful mess of a conversation but so far has been really chill and reasonable. Good job everyone. I'd like to see more of this attitude in the world. Turns out it's pretty easy to just openly talk and not have a senseless argument about something that's really just a personal aesthetic

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Kühl said:

@RUST( i )K said:

How so?

I may have misread.

NO God or Gods.

Our church.......

Sorry :smile:
    I meant to say, I’m not religious, but I have written music for our local church.
    Right now I’m working on choir arrangements for the church Christmas concert.
    I try to respect the views of others, an have adopted musical pragmatism.
    And I just can’t deny that the sound of a well played church organ, moves certain biological parts inside me.
    Tear canals we’ll up, heart is beating heavier, shivers running down my spine.
    For me that is being human.

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    Turns out it's pretty easy to just openly talk and not have a senseless argument about something that's really just a personal aesthetic

>

That is because everyone contributing so far is reasonable, and fair. We can all have very different ideas, yet share the common language of music making.

ISTM that threads with the potential for unpleasantness only go down hill when someone chooses to sling in a verbal hand-grenade, because they are unable to articulate their view, or just to troll.

It is very nice to see a constructive mutually respectful thread meander on so well. Good work, people!

• @Kühl said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Kühl said:

@RUST( i )K said:

How so?

I may have misread.

NO God or Gods.

Our church.......

I meant to say, I’m not religious, but I have written music for our local church.
    And I just can’t deny that the sound of a well played church organ, moves certain biological parts inside me.

No doubt.
    I am big science person. Facts, all that.

However, I still embrace my primitive components at times with hopes of an afterlife and other other worldly exploits.

• Everything note I play and every song I write is inspired and dedicated to our lord and savior . . . Satan.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Kühl said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Kühl said:

@RUST( i )K said:

How so?

I may have misread.

NO God or Gods.

Our church.......

No doubt.

However, I still embrace my primitive components at times with hopes of an afterlife and other other worldly exploits.

I’m just a cell based organic animal, trying to cope with the pain of being born. Sorry, too much Schopenhauer :smile:

• edited October 2017

@00ipadthai said:
    Everything note I play and every song I write is inspired and dedicated to our lord and savior . . . Satan.

Of course. May I perhaps give you some wise words from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe’s FAUST?

“Ich bin der Geist der stets verneint! Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht, ist wert, dass es zugrunde geht.”

You just can’t translate poetry like this. I learned german just to read it. Took me 3 years.
    Comment when you have laid a bit more effort the into understanding the topic.

@RUST( i )
    No doubt.

Here’s a good one:
    “God help us -- for art is long, and life so short.”
    Goethe - Faust :smile:

• Those you cannot teach to fly, teach to fall faster. -Fred

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Those you cannot teach to fly, teach to fall faster. -Fred

"This isn't flying, this is falling with style." -Buzz

Sorry to be redundant but I'm amazed at the course of this thread.

• @Ben said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Those you cannot teach to fly, teach to fall faster. -Fred

"This isn't flying, this is falling with style." -Buzz

Sorry to be redundant but I'm amazed at the course of this thread.

Interesting and instructive. Religion/faith for many of us is no longer the argument. We are tolerant of each other, curious even. I understand that that is not true everywhere and for everyone, but it is here. Good. Politics on the other hand we often struggle to find common ground over. To share dialogue. And thus -here- it is best left unsaid :)

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    I'm really proud of everyone here for having what could be an awful mess of a conversation but so far has been really chill and reasonable. Good job everyone. I'd like to see more of this attitude in the world. Turns out it's pretty easy to just openly talk and not have a senseless argument about something that's really just a personal aesthetic

Totally agree @Panthemusicalgoat I said in my post early in the thread I hoped & thought we all could have the discussion without it turning ugly and it is cool to see it was kept civil and actually incredibly respectful & deep....

@ipadthai said:
    Everything note I play and every song I write is inspired and dedicated to our lord and savior . . . Satan.

...where was I? LOL :smiley: :lol: @ipadthai I love it. To me it’s very much like Lennon’s “Whatever Gets You Through The Night”, even if I disagree with the dogma of someone’s faith if it helps them gain some comfort & sanity in this crazy world then I support it. It’s like the ridiculous censorship of albums & TV: you don’t like it change the channel. Live and let live.