Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SPIRITUALITY & FAITH: Role in your music?

Comments

• @AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I never pay attention to the sentiment in a record, it’s all about the sound to me.

Funny because I always really stuck with jazz and electronic music because I didn't want to hear someone else's story.

So I wrote my own.

I hear the individual words, but the meaning doesn't register, occasionally a single line will stick. I've always been the same, and i guess this is why I don't write or sing, I have tried in the past but have to really force stuff out, which I don't enjoy or want to do.
    Sound on the other hand, what I feel in my gut determines if I like it or not, no thinking required.

Very similar to me, that. I enjoy a good lyric, but I'm more attracted to the tonal quality of the voice. Elisabeth Fraser for example, sang gibberish on most of the Cocteau Twins records, but her voice moves me to another level.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I never pay attention to the sentiment in a record, it’s all about the sound to me.

Funny because I always really stuck with jazz and electronic music because I didn't want to hear someone else's story.

So I wrote my own.

I hear the individual words, but the meaning doesn't register, occasionally a single line will stick. I've always been the same, and i guess this is why I don't write or sing, I have tried in the past but have to really force stuff out, which I don't enjoy or want to do.
    Sound on the other hand, what I feel in my gut determines if I like it or not, no thinking required.

Very similar to me, that. I enjoy a good lyric, but I'm more attracted to the tonal quality of the voice. Elisabeth Fraser for example, sang gibberish on most of the Cocteau Twins records, but her voice moves me to another level.

I really need to listen to some Cocteau Twins, I fell in love with her voice on the Massive Attack stuff, but have not ventured into any more of what she has done.

• Cocteau Twins > the ultimate is: Blue Bell Knoll
    Check it out

• edited October 2017

I respect people's religious beliefs and enjoy hearing their insights and stories about what inspires their creativity. As someone who lives in the UK, though, which is definitely moving to becoming a more secular country than it has ever been (church attendances have been plummeting for many years now), I do find it a bit odd when praise for God is invoked in forum posts, I have to say! No disrespect intended, it's just a bit of a culture shock. I wonder if anyone else feels like that. At the extremes, it can come across as a bit culty!

• @Mayo said:
    Cocteau Twins > the ultimate is: Blue Bell Knoll
    Check it out

I will do.. thanks :)

• edited October 2017

I believe that religion affects my music, though perhaps in a non obvious way.

When I was young I was driven to find the meaning of life. I did a degree in Philosophy, I spent a lot of time in India and Nepal, I toyed with Buddhism, and did a PhD in the Philosophy of Religion.

I then suffered major depression, in which there many factors, but a significant one was that I was lecturing on Nietzsche, whose views I grudgingly accepted as largely valid, even at the cost of removing the last vestiges of clinging to any form of spirituality for me.

Recovering from, or perhaps that should be "learning to live with", depression has been a long process (10 years now) and my major strategy has been training my overactive brain not to think about certain things. This avoidance strategy is achieved my keeping my brain engaged in other things, which for me is largely dabbling with audio experimentation and learning the ins and outs of complex software (interspersed with a voracious consumption of history books).

Nietzsche's message is ultimately that there are no external sources of meaning or value. Moreover, we need to liberate ourselves from searching for it. Keeping myself active in audio experimentation and discovery facilitates that for me.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:

So I wrote my own.

I really need to listen to some Cocteau Twins, I fell in love with her voice on the Massive Attack stuff, but have not ventured into any more of what she has done.

This is one of my favourite thing's she's done since the Cocteau's - send shivers up my spine:

As for albums I'd just get them all. This is my favourite CT track:

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    I respect people's religious beliefs and enjoy hearing their insights and stories about what inspires their creativity. As someone who lives in the UK, though, which is definitely moving to becoming a more secular country than it has ever been (church attendances have been plummeting for many years now), I do find it a bit odd when praise for God is invoked in forum posts, I have to say! No disrespect intended, it's just a bit of a culture shock. I wonder if anyone else feels like that. At the extremes, it can come across as a bit culty!

I live in the uk too mate..

I see things differently.

Here we have so many alternative spiritual scenes and esoteric gatherings that are thriving.. it’s everywhere- just have to look really

Spirituality doesn’t need religion or even god at times

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Do God, Gods, or lack of such figures matter to your music?

Do your other worldly or spiritual practices, sometimes called religion play a role in the music you make?

How so?

I once wrote a song about God called "Imaginary Friend"

• Nearly 2 full pages, of what could be a very "Hot", divisive topic.....and, what I've read has been great! Learning what, or how others may incorporate God/faith/spirituality....or the like into their music creation. Or, even the humorous reply has been fun to read.

See, we can play nice together. ;) >:) o:)

• I'm impressed no fights so far. I've got to say I think just being alive is a pretty "spiritual" experience. I wouldn't say I believe in any deities or anything but I definitely appreciate that some people do.

I've noticed that religious musicians tend to be more easy to get along for me than your average religious individual. Maybe it's a sense of playfulness ;)

• I don't know if anyone here has listened to or read any Joseph Campbell but he was a mythology professor who compared all the myths (not in a fictional sense but in a sense of cultural origin stories) and found some amazing similarities. He's secular but regardless of your person experience I think you could benefit from checking him out.

He's written a few books (the Hero's Journey, and the Hero With a Thousand Faces are both great) that you can check out or just youtube some of his lectures.

Side note: i think music and art are my religion. Keeps me centered and gives me something to focus on even tho I'm secular at this point

• I dont really buy the theory that things in quantum level is random(i think we just dont understand or see its laws properly and it seems random). Therefore i think that everything that happens(including my and other peoples actions) is a direct consequence of how the universe was created and that time is set in stone.

I think that debating if creation was intentional and made by something that could be called god is senseless, as it cant je proven or disproven. I do think that the concept of god is outdated.

Tldr; Yes, everything what i do is dictated by "god" or whatever.

Ps. Yes i believe that free will is an illusion.

• @lnikj said:
    Nietzsche's message

>

If we’re honest, the bloke was a depressing git whose ideas made people feel utterly worthless. The philosophy of rock ‘n’ roll makes much more sense to me. Just a few random offerings off the top of my head.

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls

• Paul Simon

We could be heroes, just for one day.

• David Bowie

Love is like oxygen, you get too much you get too high, not enough and you’re gonna die

• The Sweet

There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there’s still time to change the road you’re on.

• Led Zeppelin
  • @ToMess said:

>

Then maybe we are all effectively living in a computer simulation, like immensely complicated NPC’s.

Perhaps our paths are predetermined, but how we get there is up to us.

Then there’s the Mandela Effect...

• edited October 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@ToMess said:

>

Then maybe we are all effectively living in a computer simulation, like immensely complicated NPC’s.

Perhaps our paths are predetermined, but how we get there is up to us.

Then there’s the Mandela Effect...

Simulation is ofc a possibility, but i dont think it would be a computer simulation as we see computers or simulations. But for example(i have other theories as well :P ) more like that the big bang never really happened as that we are still in that black hole type of thing, inside which all possibilities are "simulated" and we get to experience these ones we happen to experience.

I dont buy this mandala effect either. I think its just most likely some sort of mental trickery(in same fashion as psychological biases). But since i cant disprove it either, and i can come up with some crazy ideas on how it could be possible. But that would require believing in too many highly unlikely things. So i dont see taking mandala effect into account in any theories a good idea.

Anyways if we go what we know about the universe and not speculate too much on stuff we have no scientific proof on. Whether or not quantum level is truly random determines whether or not we have free will and whether such thing as faith exists. Also it would explain a lot and open up theories of how time works, especially as the 4th dimension.

Or perhaps ॐ is true and we keep resetting and doing the same thing again and by this 7th time something keeps piling up and we start to experience weirdness like the mandala effect ;)

Ps. Scientific world considers quantum level things as random. However i havent seen any real proof of it, only that it seems random when we study it. But quantum level things work according to different laws than macro level of things, and we seem to know next to nothing about it(even tho we do know quite a bit).

But really we should all just follow our hearts and minds, believing in whatever, because our beliefs determine how we experience things and our experiences are the only reality we ever get to experience, our hearts work as the best guide for the trip and our minds get us through it all.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:

So I wrote my own.

This is one of my favourite thing's she's done since the Cocteau's - send shivers up my spine:

Cheers for those, calmed a somewhat otherwise hectic afternoon :)

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    I'm impressed no fights so far. I've got to say I think just being alive is a pretty "spiritual" experience. I wouldn't say I believe in any deities or anything but I definitely appreciate that some people do.

I've noticed that religious musicians tend to be more easy to get along for me than your average religious individual. Maybe it's a sense of playfulness ;)

This heathen says "Amen" to all of your points and observations.

• edited October 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@lnikj said:
    Nietzsche's message

>

If we’re honest, the bloke was a depressing git whose ideas made people feel utterly worthless. The philosophy of rock ‘n’ roll makes much more sense to me. Just a few random offerings off the top of my head.

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls

• Paul Simon

We could be heroes, just for one day.

• David Bowie

Love is like oxygen, you get too much you get too high, not enough and you’re gonna die

• The Sweet

There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there’s still time to change the road you’re on.

• Led Zeppelin

I've always found a deep undercurrent of humor in a lot of his writing. I think Fred often wrote with his tongue firmly planted in cheek.

• Buddhist here, and my faith especially the concepts of the Bodhisattva and the utter necessity of universal compassion as a human ideal, all influence my lyrical content.

Honestly the Buddha dharma has been one of the best things to happen to my songs. My old stuff was super new age and weird lyrics!'

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:

So I wrote my own.

Cheers for those, calmed a somewhat otherwise hectic afternoon :)

It’s lovely stuff, they’re both on my regular playlist when I’m painting.

Not sure whether it’s the spiritual connection thing again, but her voice, Kate Bush, Nick Harper and a few others seem to improve my painting output. Another cosmic connection maybe.

I don't know if anyone here has listened to or read any Joseph Campbell but he was a mythology professor who compared all the myths (not in a fictional sense but in a sense of cultural origin stories) and found some amazing similarities. He's secular but regardless of your person experience I think you could benefit from checking him out.

He's written a few books (the Hero's Journey, and the Hero With a Thousand Faces are both great) that you can check out or just youtube some of his lectures.

Side note: i think music and art are my religion. Keeps me centered and gives me something to focus on even tho I'm secular at this point

Shadow Culture : Psychology and Spirituality in America
    by Eugene Taylor

This is a cool read you may like.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Buddhist here, and my faith especially the concepts of the Bodhisattva and the utter necessity of universal compassion as a human ideal, all influence my lyrical content.

Honestly the Buddha dharma has been one of the best things to happen to my songs. My old stuff was super new age and weird lyrics!'

Your old stuff is the Buddha influenced or you mean the old was that and now it is Buddha influenced?

Any examples of this lyrical content you could share with us?

• @High5denied said:
    Nearly 2 full pages, of what could be a very "Hot", divisive topic.....and, what I've read has been great! Learning what, or how others may incorporate God/faith/spirituality....or the like into their music creation. Or, even the humorous reply has been fun to read.

Ironically, the tolerance exhibited thus far is a definite spiritual as well as social principle.

• Everything I do is always in service to the great and powerful Cthulhu. ;)

• @skiphunt said:
    Everything I do is always in service to the great and powerful Cthulhu. ;)

Is that Flying Spaghetti Monster's papa?

I don't know if anyone here has listened to or read any Joseph Campbell but he was a mythology professor who compared all the myths (not in a fictional sense but in a sense of cultural origin stories) and found some amazing similarities. He's secular but regardless of your person experience I think you could benefit from checking him out.

I have read quite a bit from Carl Jung(which has changed my views and attitudes drastically). Campbells ideas follow Jungs more or less, and they also had same sources for their theories(alchemy, tibetan book of the dead etc etc). From what i know about those two books you mentioned, they basically tell the jungian theory. But the idea of heroes journey is ancient, archetypal one that is even on tarot cards.

In case someone is interested, Hero's journey is basically the journey of becoming a whole and conscious human being, conquering your inner demons, biases etc. and thus learning to see things from wider perspective. Basically the same thing that enlightenment is in buddhism. Also its referred as turning lead to gold in alchemy and loads of other things over the centuries by different people.

From what little i read about the Hero With a Thousand Faces, its riding on the jungian idea of growth in the latter part of life. The struggles of having those hidden/shadow sides growing up and getting stronger at trying to surface onto consciousness to make you whole. You know people as they get older start to be for example less like "im 100% about logic, F the feelings"(or pretty much any similar opposites inside psyche). This growth might be too much for some people ego's to handle, so there will be more or less of a struggle usually. This is when the hard headed guy grows heart, or perhaps gets even worse if his ego will resist and end up being the angry annoying old fart who seems half mental.

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

@skiphunt said:

• @RUST( i )K said:

@High5denied said:
    Nearly 2 full pages, of what could be a very "Hot", divisive topic.....and, what I've read has been great! Learning what, or how others may incorporate God/faith/spirituality....or the like into their music creation. Or, even the humorous reply has been fun to read.

Ironically, the tolerance exhibited thus far is a definite spiritual as well as social principle.

I think that’s a credit to your opening post - we’re not debating religion/spirituality/whatever, just discussing the effect it might have on our music. Anything that aids creativity is a good thing in my book, regardless of where it originates.

• @CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

Is that Flying Spaghetti Monster's papa?

It's Bob Dobbs baby