Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

audio mixer with controller mapping

I've been having MIDI timing issues when AUM is loaded, so I wanted to see what other apps can do the same thing as AUM - namely act as a virtual mixer for my hardware. It must support the Behringer UMC 1820 audio interface and have FULL MIDI control of all parameters so I can use it with the Novation Launch Control XL. I can't find one single app that meets this criteria. AUM might be the only one. Can anyone suggest anything else?

Gadget - can't figure out how to arm more than one Zurich audio track
BM3 - can't map all mixer controls
Cubasis - can't map ANY controls :(
Auria Pro - can't map ANY controls (supposed to work with Launch Control XL in Mackie HUI mode, but it doesn't)
Modstep - can't figure out how to monitor audio tracks from the UMC 1820 (is it possible?)

Thanks,
chisel316

Comments

• edited October 2017

Have you tried enabling ableton link in aum and using one of the link to midi apps to sync the midi stuff that way?

I have been using this method to get samplr to stay in time and it works well here.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Have you tried enabling ableton link in aum and using one of the link to midi apps to sync the midi stuff that way?

I have been using this method to get samplr to stay in time and it works well here.

Yes. I have a hardware sequencer that serves as my master clock and I use MIDI Link Sync to convert the clock to Ableton Link. It works beautifully. No issues there. The issues start when I send MIDI notes from any external device into the iPad. I get hung notes, skipped notes, notes stop sending for a few seconds and then start again. All sorts of glitches. I honestly don't even know if it's AUM anymore. I feel it's more an underlying iOS issue. I have another thread with a video example of this issue. I just wanted to start this thread to see if there are any alternatives to AUM just in case that ends up being the root cause. Thanks.

• edited October 2017

There is always MiMiX which I used briefly before switching to AUM, it's a lot less feature rich but if you just need a mixer with midi control it should do the job. You could always try it out and get a refund if the issues remain, that might help figure out if the issue is with AUM or if something else is going wrong. Hope you get it sorted out!

MiMiX - Mixer for Audiobus by TTrGames
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/mimix-mixer-for-audiobus/id931404307?mt=8

• @BlueGreenSpiral Thanks for the recommendation. It's much appreciated.

• For reference, here's the other thread: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/20710/ios-10-3-3-midi-real-time-recording-issue#latest

And I'm 99% sure this is not issue with AUM :)

• Keep in mind MiMix adds (very small) latency ....

• On phone didn't see Jonathan above posting.

Sorry for redundancy of posts.

Whip me later.

• AUM is the best at what it does. No doubt. Nothing else comes close. I'll probably continue to use it even with the MIDI issues I've been experiencing. As Jonaton says, it's most likely not caused by AUM.

I did discover something incredible in my quest for an alternative to AUM. The BCF2000 works with Auria Pro in Mackie HUI mode! I got it working last night bidirectional controlling the entire mixer with mechanical faders and all! That was a great find!

• Cool :) I've been meaning to add Mackie HUI mode to AUM as well, just need to find me a BCF2000... if anyone has a spare one they want to give away for free, let me know ;)

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Cool :) I've been meaning to add Mackie HUI mode to AUM as well, just need to find me a BCF2000... if anyone has a spare one they want to give away for free, let me know ;)

This would be fantastic. I could finally put my Zoom r8 to some use.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Cool :) I've been meaning to add Mackie HUI mode to AUM as well, just need to find me a BCF2000... if anyone has a spare one they want to give away for free, let me know ;)

You can borrow my BCR2000 if you want to add it in :)

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Cool :) I've been meaning to add Mackie HUI mode to AUM as well, just need to find me a BCF2000...

Too cool!!

• Midi pro designer 2 - design yor own - brilliant

• @j_liljedahl said:

I know this is a very old thread now, but is implementing HUI mode for AUM still on your radar? It would be so incredibly useful!

• also, the ability to sync via external midi clock would be absolutely killer.
    I use workarounds (link with midi link sync running in the background.. but it causes some issues)

• @mahko said:

@j_liljedahl said:

I know this is a very old thread now, but is implementing HUI mode for AUM still on your radar? It would be so incredibly useful!

It's still on the radar, but not very prioritized. I still don't own any Mackie/HUI control surface, but that might change in the future :)

• @palms said:
    also, the ability to sync via external midi clock would be absolutely killer.
    I use workarounds (link with midi link sync running in the background.. but it causes some issues)

I'm hoping to add this as well, but I doubt it would be any different from using MIDI Link Sync or using Audiobus3 as a MIDI clock to Link bridge. What kind of issues are you seeing?

• edited January 2020

@j_liljedahl well, it's been a while since I tried AB3 as a clock with AUM, but the problem I had was that it was rock solid while AB3 was open but as soon as AUM was in the foreground, the clock would drift all over the place when scrolling around or opening up windows. I'll try it again, as i think there have been a couple of updates since that last attempt.

Link works alright for the most part, the main issue is with transport. there's a hiccup that happens when I hit play on my Pyramid sequencer, and the tempo jumps to a very fast tempo for a split second before it jumps into sync. not usually a big issue unless there are clocked delays and such that it sends into hyperspeed for a moment creating weird audio spikes and glitches.

also, on the subject of transport, the Pyramid start and stop buttons don't work well with AUM's transport. It's been a while since I tried it, but I think the problem was with the stop button. AUM has no stop command, only toggle play, so when I hit the stop button on the the hardware (which outputs a unique cc), AUM keeps right on going.

• FWIW there are mcu apps and lemur templates you could possibly use ;-)

@j_liljedahl said:

• @palms said:
    @j_liljedahl well, it's been a while since I tried AB3 as a clock with AUM, but the problem I had was that it was rock solid while AB3 was open but as soon as AUM was in the foreground, the clock would drift all over the place when scrolling around or opening up windows. I'll try it again, as i think there have been a couple of updates since that last attempt.

Link works alright for the most part, the main issue is with transport. there's a hiccup that happens when I hit play on my Pyramid sequencer, and the tempo jumps to a very fast tempo for a split second before it jumps into sync. not usually a big issue unless there are clocked delays and such that it sends into hyperspeed for a moment creating weird audio spikes and glitches.

So was this with the MIDI to Link sync app?

also, on the subject of transport, the Pyramid start and stop buttons don't work well with AUM's transport. It's been a while since I tried it, but I think the problem was with the stop button. AUM has no stop command, only toggle play, so when I hit the stop button on the the hardware (which outputs a unique cc), AUM keeps right on going.

I see. AUM supports standard MMC remote control, but I can easily add two extra MIDI actions for play/stop instead of just toggle play.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@palms said:

So was this with the MIDI to Link sync app?

Yes, I tried midi to link sync, but since it causes that weird hiccup thing with AUM's clock, I tried AB3 sync out to AUM, but it doesn't work at all unless AB3's in the foreground.

I see. AUM supports standard MMC remote control, but I can easily add two extra MIDI actions for play/stop instead of just toggle play.

That would be a great help, and would actually solve this for me, Thank you!

• @mistercharlie said:

@j_liljedahl said:

This would be fantastic. I could finally put my Zoom r8 to some use.

@mistercharlie : bear of small brain here, enthusiastic owner of AUM and a currently underused R8. Could you explain how adding this Mackie mode to AUM would work with the R8/what it would enable that can’t be done at present? Thanks!

• @Svetlovska I sold my R8 a while go, but iirc it can work as a midi controller in Mackie HUI mode.

• @mistercharlie : I did not know that, thanks. :)

• @mistercharlie said:
    @Svetlovska I sold my R8 a while go, but iirc it can work as a midi controller in Mackie HUI mode.

My understanding is that HUI mode enables parameter feedback to the controller device. So for instance my Behringer BCF2000 controller could show the current send level on a LED ring, and the motorized faders would move to the proper position reflecting levels in AUM. Then you wouldn’t have jumps in parameters when adjusting AUM controls from the device.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    It's still on the radar, but not very prioritized. I still don't own any Mackie/HUI control surface, but that might change in the future :)

Fantastic. Here’s hoping it magically climbs higher in the priority list 🙏🏼 I would happily buy the app all over, for this feature.