Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Discussing differences between a bench power supply and a non-bench power supply

Before asking my question I would like to briefly clarify what I understand by a bench power supply opeartion:

Let's have a bench power supply which is set to 10V 1A CC. As far as I understand, this means upto a 1A current the power supply can supply 10V CV accross the load. So if I hook up a 10 Ohm resistor as a load to the terminals of this power supply I will measure 10V accross it and V/R = 1A current through it.(I'm assuming a special resistor which can handle enough power for the sake of this example) But let's say if I hook up a 5 Ohm resistor instead. In this case the current will not increase to 2A since it is set to 1A CC. The current regulator inside the power supply will not let the load to sink more than 1A current. Which means the current will remain the same as 1A. But this time since V = I*R, the power supply's voltage will accrdingly drop to 5V. This is what understand in case of bench power supplies. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Question:

Most of the power supplies (SMPS or linear such as 9V adapters ect.) in the market have two ratings always mentioned on them: Rated voltage output and max current. Are they operate the same way as the bench power supplies? Let me ask the question by an example. If we have a power supply such as the following adapter: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/10v-1a-power-supply-adapter-10w_60310531013.html?s=p

12V and 1A ratings written on it. If it were a bench supply with CC, I would say connecting a 6 Ohm load would sink only 1A and would drop supply's output voltage to 6V. But is that also what happens with most of the power supplies(not bench ones) in the market? I mean the same scneario happens as in bench supplies? Or it depends? How can we know it without trying?

Here are two examples of non-bench power supplies(typical ones used most commonly): https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/10v-1a-power-supply-adapter-10w_60310531013.html?s=p

http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf8798/PIP3103-T.pdf

Basically I'm asking what happens when we lower the load for a typical non-bench power supply and try to exceed its max current? Would there be a current and voltage regulation as in bench power supllies where CC activates or what would happen?

Comments

• Switching power supplies have overload protection, but they just turn off the output if it exceeds the rating, to protect the power supply. The usual scenario for exceeding the rated current is that there is a short. They don't bother controlling the current to the load. When they shut off, they usually do a cycle, where they turn on the power for an instant, and check the output voltage. If it's too low, it assumes the short is still happening, and turns off the output, and waits for a moment, then tries again.

Linear power supplies, usually are less smart about it. Less expensive, consumer ones just have a fuse that blows. It's the end of the power supply, but at least it didn't start a fire. Nicer ones, like the Boss pedal power supplies, may have overload protection that can reset after a short.

You don't really want power supplies to do current control, when the rating is exceeded, like a bench power supply. If the the rating is exceeded, it means something is wrong, and it's best to turn off the power until the problem goes away.