Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Processing With Fabfilter Plug-ins In AUM...

2»

Comments

• @_ki said:
    @Carnbot Very cool setup routing multiple AUX to Auria, thanks for the Auria template and AUM project files !

Some additional remarks to your AUM Auria.zip on IOS 11:

-- Open the zip link in safari and use export to AudioShare to download it into AudioShare
    -- In AudioShare uncompress the zip to get the two contained files
    -- Open the Files.App
    ---- move the 'Auria AUM mix bus template.aumproj' found in 'AudioShare Files' into 'On My iPad/AUM'
    ---- move the 'AUM Multi FilterAB Forum.tpl' found in 'AudioShare Files' into 'On My iPad/AuriaPro/Project Templates'

( BTW i would have exchanged the names of both files as, the 'AUM Multi FilterAB Forum' is indeed a project template for Auria and the 'Auria AUM mix bus template' is an AUM project connecting to Auria )

While you were writing and publishing your extensive and cool setup i also was preparing illustraded instructions on how to use Auria FX as AUX in AUM - but your posting was a lot more advanced, so i decided to just drop mine.

I also found out that instead of using the IAA ports to directly connect AUM/Auria, one can use AudioBus ports instead. The AB state saving also recalls the correct AUM setup and in Auria one just needs to load the correct project to get everything running.

No problem, and good point :) I might set up an Audiobus version too next time around.

• @Carnbot said:
    There's a lot of ways you could set this up depending what you wanted to do.

Thanks for that. Now, if it’s so
    Auria centric, why involve aum?

• @vpich said:

@Carnbot said:
    There's a lot of ways you could set this up depending what you wanted to do.

Thanks for that. Now, if it’s so
    Auria centric, why involve aum?

I much prefer using AB3 midi and AUM over Auria, but here you can use the great Fabfilter effects, so best of both worlds etc

• @Carnbot said:
    There's a lot of ways you could set this up depending what you wanted to do. I've not felt the need to do it much since now we have lots of great AU effects. But the Fabs are pretty special.

Here's one way:
    I've got different AUM channels for different Fab filter effects which I'm sending instruments in AUM to (ignore Quantum in the pic, just hosting that there for convenience).

I also have a dry channel in Auria I'm sending to. Each of the hosted AUM ports in Auria are being sent to individual AUX sends in Auria which have the relevant Fab effect applied. Then everything is routed back to AUM as a master (with Pro L on the master bus). I've also got the individual channels routed back to AUM if needed (but bypassed). So in Auria you can choose to route the different tracks out to different subs.

So I can mix the effects in AUM for the master output

Master and different outputs if required

Auria AUX effects, change if needed.

AUM and Auria files included. Hopefully should work for you. The only issue is loading it all up again with the AUM ports. Should open Auria template first after a restart. Then AUM.

Thank you for the info and templates. I’ve got a couple questions if you don’t mind. In AUM I’ve yet to be able to assign an IAA port to a channel. It always results in the red error lines as seen below.

Also, is there a way to open your Auria template without involving a computer / iTunes? I’ve tried Dropbox but it doesn’t show up in Auria’s browser when I choose to load a project via Dropbox.

Any thoughts on where I’m going wrong would be much appreciated.

• edited October 2017

This is so cool @Carnbot et al, I’m learnig a lot, but honest question: at this point why not do it all inside auria, what does AUM bring to the table? I love the FF plugins, but I want to automate them and write midi. Maybe I’ve been doing this all wrong

• @pedro said:
    This is so cool @Carnbot et al, I’m learnig a lot, but honest question: at this point why not do it all inside auria, what does AUM bring to the table? I love the FF plugins, but I want to automate them and write midi. Maybe I’ve been doing this all wrong

Now, this is a way to use the AP filters in AudioBus or AUM without doing other things in Auria Pro.

I don't like AP and do not currently use it at all, but such a sleek way of using the filter for other Apps and Synths is simply great!!!
    A little bit like having those filters as IAA or AU to be used by other Apps.

More clear to you?

• edited October 2017

@pedro said:

If you are happy in AP and also want to write midi then this isn't worth doing for you. You may as welll just use AP. This is basically just a fun way of using AP as an effects mixbus. AUM has a better and more immediate way of jamming and mixing apps for touch screens and this lets you use the Fabfilter effects since they are so good. AUM is also better for AUv3. You can midi learn the mixer etc Auria has great ability but is not so fun to use because of the interface for many people.

• edited October 2017

@brice said:

This happens to me sometimes. Need to reboot and start Auria pro template first. Then AUM template should work. Check the post after my one with the files, this shows another way without a computer :)

edit (copied from the post) for iOS11 :

-- Open the zip link in safari and use export to AudioShare to download it into AudioShare
    -- In AudioShare uncompress the zip to get the two contained files
    -- Open the Files.App
    ---- move the 'Auria AUM mix bus template.aumproj' found in 'AudioShare Files' into 'On My iPad/AUM'
    ---- move the 'AUM Multi FilterAB Forum.tpl' found in 'AudioShare Files' into 'On My iPad/AuriaPro/Project Templates'

• edited October 2017

@pedro I hear you :) But you can ...

Open Auria Pro, create a new project.

Open Audiobus3, go to the midi page, add Aum as midi destination.

Go to the audio page and add Auria Pro (in column w/ Aum) as audio destination. A track from audiobus has been created in Auria. Define its output as Sub 1.

Tap [fx] and select a FFplugin on that track. Add a midi track, set instrument to off, arm. Direct the midi out to 'Audiobus - FF plugin'.

Add a midi sender app in ab3 midi page. In Aum, Midi Route, connect IAA Port 1 to Auria (virtual).

In ab3 audio page, in a new column select Auria Pro (Sub 1) as input, output will be the speaker.

In ab3 midi page, in the current column, add an app above the Aum icon (+).
    Likewise in the audio page, add it next to the Aum icon.

In Auria, create a new audio track, tap [fx], and in the channel strip, add Kymatica Aum (Port 2) (Instr). Set the track's output to Sub 2.
    In Aum, create a new channel, with an app in the input, and for output select IAA / Audiobus Output: Auria Sub 2.

Add another midi-track in Auria, and send the midi out to 'Track - FF plugin'.

Audiobus preset 'TripleA': http://preset.audiob.us/L5TTL8rQ6R7POAf

• @Carnbot said:

@brice said:

This happens to me sometimes. Need to reboot and start Auria pro template first. Then AUM template should work. Check the post after my one with the files, this shows another way without a computer :)

I have that issue sometimes too. But, I've got another issue I haven't had before. Even when it's working, the IAA Auria icon displays in the output slot as a white icon with crossed thin black lines. I've hard rebooted and deleted/reinstalled AUM. It works, but the Auria icon failure to load correctly bugs the heck out of me. The Auria icon loads correctly in the IAA input slot though.

Ever had that issue? Looks like it's loading correctly for you in your screenshots. I'm on iOS11.0.3 and iPad 10.5. You?

• You guys rock!! This is truly awesome!
    I knew there had to be a way and this awesome AB forum has the most helpful musicians ever.

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@brice said:

I have that issue sometimes too. But, I've got another issue I haven't had before. Even when it's working, the IAA Auria icon displays in the output slot as a white icon with crossed thin black lines. I've hard rebooted and deleted/reinstalled AUM. It works, but the Auria icon failure to load correctly bugs the heck out of me. The Auria icon loads correctly in the IAA input slot though.

Ever had that issue? Looks like it's loading correctly for you in your screenshots. I'm on iOS11.0.3 and iPad 10.5. You?

Not had that issue yet. I'm on Air 2 and still on 10.3.2 though.

• Auria shows tap to launch in AB3 but in AUM it’s active. Wonder what’s up.
    I launched Auria first loaded triple A template then AUM and last AB3 is this right?

@ccs2 said:

Go to the audio page and add Auria Pro (in column w/ Aum) as audio destination. A track from audiobus has been created in Auria. Define its output as Sub 1.

Tap [fx] and select a FFplugin on that track. Add a midi track, set instrument to off, arm. Direct the midi out to 'Audiobus - FF plugin'.

Add a midi sender app in ab3 midi page. In Aum, Midi Route, connect IAA Port 1 to Auria (virtual).

In ab3 audio page, in a new column select Auria Pro (Sub 1) as input, output will be the speaker.

In Auria, create a new audio track, tap [fx], and in the channel strip, add Kymatica Aum (Port 2) (Instr). Set the track's output to Sub 2.
    In Aum, create a new channel, with an app in the input, and for output select IAA / Audiobus Output: Auria Sub 2.

• Wow finally got it working and sending Quantum to Poison-202 that’s going to Auria Pro and getting effected by Fabfilter Timeless 2! Amazing!

@ccs2 said:

• Guys if I’m using the Tripple A AudioBus Preset how do I set up AUM? I don’t get any signal into it from Auria.

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@brice said:

Not had that issue yet. I'm on Air 2 and still on 10.3.2 though.

Was also having a problem using AUX on tracks routed through Auria to AUM. So, I bit the bullet and deleted the whole Auria Pro install, and then went through the process of downloading everything again fresh, updating to Pro and restoring all of my purchased.

That seemed to take care of the AUX issue, and everything works like expected now. Only it didn't fix that Auria icon issue in the IAA port slots. Looks like a white icon with a thin black lined cross-grid. A nuisance, but everything else works. If I had to guess, it likely has to do with the last Auria update that was supposed to take care of 10.5 formatting issues.

I'm not going to bother with it anymore at this point. I wanted to do a fresh install of Auria anyway, since I've only been doing the easy updates for the last few rounds.

• I’m just trying to wrap my head around the signal flow. I’m amazed at how low the cpu usage is with AB3, AUM, Auria Pro all running at the same time on an iPad Air 1. Could it be that Auria Pro, disables internal processes when in this type of mode?

• @ccs2 said:

It tries to open Auria, not Auria Pro.
    Can I later change this, or will I loose something when exchanging?

I even tried to edit the preset files and change Auria to Auria Pro, but on iOS I find no way to edit those files.
    :(

• edited October 2017

Maybe by loading your version, and then disengaging the current icon and bringing in your's.
    @skiphunt yeah, saw this too.
    @MusicMan4Christ did you get it to run?

• Guys finally got to make a short video of the presets at work with IOS screen recording able to record Auria now, had to make some Auria settings adjustments and it worked.

• Sorry about low quality but had to upload it in cellular data.

• @pedro said:

You can automate all of fabfilter plugins in AuriaPro using midi CC . Simply create a midi track, record arm it, set the instrument to none. Select the output to go to the Fabfilter plugin, tap midi learn on the plugin and move your midi controler knob and you will now control your plugin. All CC data is stored on that single midi track and is completely editable. Auria also allows for draw automation of all AU units in the editor lanes. AuriaPro is the only iOS daw that can get you a pro mix and it’s plugins are not toys for sound but rather the real tools desktop users have. As Richard stated Auria has always been the leader in iOS daw recording long before other iOS daws. Although AUM allows for midi control of its mixer, no pro studio would ever use standard midi for a control surface to c0ntrol their daw. 0nly HUI and Mackie Control has the bit depth nessessary for proper volume control. Rim knew this from the start so thats why he coded it into Auria. Cheers.