Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning MIDI input?

Question for you Patterning gurus: does Patterning listen to MIDI input for triggering sounds? If so, does it have a default key mapping?

Comments

• Patterning only has clock in MIDI, no note triggering, unless its hidden from me. But then why would you want it? The whole joy of Patterning is its tactile interface. If it had a synth engine rather than sample triggering then maybe I'd understand.

I've temporarily abandoned Patterning however because when I tried using it as a MIDI drum sequencer for ElasticDrums, I couldn't work out how to get ED to respond to Patterning velocity.

• @Calverhall said:
    But then why would you want it?

Let's just say I have a sudden interest in triggering all sorts of drum machines using external sequencers and I wouldn't want to leave out Patterning.

B)

• Sounds great

• @brambos said:

@Calverhall said:

Let's just say I have a sudden interest in triggering all sorts of drum machines using external sequencers and I wouldn't want to leave out Patterning.

B)

A collective cheer goes up.

• Sweet. Well before your awesome euclidean sequencers I would have wanted to sequence the Ruismakers with Patterning.

If anyone does work out how to velocity send from Patterning, I'd be back on that horse.

• @Calverhall said:
    Sweet. Well before your awesome euclidean sequencers I would have wanted to sequence the Ruismakers with Patterning.

If anyone does work out how to velocity send from Patterning, I'd be back on that horse.

I just tested Patterning MIDI out to Oriental Strings and it sent velocity. To send to Ruismaker have you mapped the notes in the Patterning MIDI configuration? It works for me.

• Yes, Patterning Midi Out works perfectly to all destinations. Just wondering if it also does input (my MIDI mappings page is empty and perhaps something needs to be added there to enable MIDI in)?

• @brambos said:
    Yes, Patterning Midi Out works perfectly to all destinations. Just wondering if it also does input (my MIDI mappings page is empty and perhaps something needs to be added there to enable MIDI in)?

This is like overhearing two pilots who have left the PA on debating over what the knobs in the cockpit do. It’s a little disconcerting.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@brambos said:
    Yes, Patterning Midi Out works perfectly to all destinations. Just wondering if it also does input (my MIDI mappings page is empty and perhaps something needs to be added there to enable MIDI in)?

This is like overhearing two pilots who have left the PA on debating over what the knobs in the cockpit do. It’s a little disconcerting.

:D

• Pilot: Do we have enough battery to make it across the Atlantic?
    • Co: I think so, but we just upgraded to iOS11, so it may drain a little faster than before
    • Pilot: Ah heck, let's go anyway - how bad can it be?
  • @brambos said:

I've tried setting up midi mappings for midi in and never got it working.

• Cool beans, i'll try it again with ElasticDrums when I next get the chance.

• edited October 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:

@brambos said:

If you press the MIDI learn button in Patterning in the menu on the right side, a plus sign will appear on all of the controls for that page of Patterning that can be controlled via MIDI. Select one of the plus signs and it will start blinking. Send the note or MIDI CC from your controller to have Patterning learn it. You can also remove MIDI learn assignments too. I did not see any way to trigger pads in Patterning via MIDI learn. For those who want to have this functionality, it might be good to request the feature from the developer.

You can assign MIDI to MUTE each of the eight pads in Patterning via the mixer page so you could achieve a sort of pseudo note on/off via MUTE on/off.

• @InfoCheck said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@brambos said:

If you press the MIDI learn button in Patterning in the menu on the right side, a plus sign will appear on all of the controls for that page of Patterning that can be controlled via MIDI. Select one of the plus signs and it will start blinking. Send the note or MIDI CC from your controller to have Patterning learn it. You can also remove MIDI learn assignments too. I did not see any way to trigger pads in Patterning via MIDI learn. For those who want to have this functionality, it might be good to request the feature from the developer.

You can assign MIDI to MUTE each of the eight pads in Patterning via the mixer page so you could achieve a sort of pseudo note on/off via MUTE on/off.

You have reminded me that playable pads in patterning is a dream we all dream. It is also a tremendous phrase if you imagine Sylvester the Cat saying it.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@InfoCheck said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@brambos said:

You have reminded me that playable pads in patterning is a dream we all dream. It is also a tremendous phrase if you imagine Sylvester the Cat saying it.

Sufferin' succotash!

• @InfoCheck said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@brambos said:

Ah yes I assumed Brambos was talking about triggering the notes, rather than MiDI learn.

• @Calverhall said:

@InfoCheck said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@brambos said:

Ah yes I assumed Brambos was talking about triggering the notes, rather than MiDI learn.

Indeed, triggering the sounds using another sequencer.

• I've never found a way. Would love to be able to play in beats and then use the spiral to tweak.

• @brambos said:

@Calverhall said:

B)

Are you by chance planning to ship with note map presets for common iOS drum machines? :) If so and you'd like help, happy to catalog a few!

• @syrupcore said:

@brambos said:

@Calverhall said:

B)

Are you by chance planning to ship with note map presets for common iOS drum machines? :) If so and you'd like help, happy to catalog a few!

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing (and a few hardware boxes too, because AUM also lets you easily route the MIDI out to external gear) B)

I think I already have the most common iOS drum machines covered. But I may be missing some of the 'virtual drummers' (e.g. all the Luis Martinez drum apps, if they respond to midi at all, etc.). And possibly some drum machines built into various groovebox type apps (I have Gadget).

• @ExAsperis99 said:

You are in fine form today my friend! :D

• @wim said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

You are in fine form today my friend! :D

It's rare that I can contribute anything on the site, so if I can keep you sonic engineers entertained, I have done my daily duty.

• @brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

@brambos said:

@Calverhall said:

B)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing (and a few hardware boxes too, because AUM also lets you easily route the MIDI out to external gear) B)

I think I already have the most common iOS drum machines covered. But I may be missing some of the 'virtual drummers' (e.g. all the Luis Martinez drum apps, if they respond to midi at all, etc.). And possibly some drum machines built into various groovebox type apps (I have Gadget).

SAHWEEEET! Thank you! Damn, you're gonna make me upgrade. Is the Volca Sample in your hardware list by chance?

Related(ish) idea: the ability to set one of those Euclidean drum sequencers to various scales will make for amazing tonal patterns. Add external transpose and zomg.

• edited March 2018

Let's sow some chaos.... How about adding this ability to Patterning:

Different MIDI out settings for each PATTERN in a song

I can think of some usefulness... Let's say you want some different sounds for Pattern B. If your midi pads were routed (just for Pattern B ) to a different MIDI channel, you could have some amazing transitions.

Any comments?

• @motmeister said:
    Let's sow some chaos.... How about adding this ability to Patterning:

Different MIDI out settings for each PATTERN in a song

I can think of some usefulness... Let's say you want some different sounds for Pattern B. If your midi pads were routed (just for Pattern B ) to a different MIDI channel, you could have some amazing transitions.

Any comments?

You have 8 channels of drum sequencing in patterning, you can send the drum channels midi note output to different MIDI channels.

I would love to be able to change sounds for different parts of the songs, but I can't imagine how they do that without ruining the simplicity and playability of the app. There are so many inscrutable iOS apps that had streamlining someone's much too specific way of making music in mind, that leave everyone else going "huh?"

You might be able to do your idea with what's there, by running patterning's sequencer out to another drum machine that accepts midi note input, so both are going, at the same time, and then mute the output of one or the other, in a mixer, like AUM. I was thinking about trying to slave Elastic Drums, to patterning, for a wider sonic palette. You could mute them live, or record them into something like Blocs Wave or launchpad, or a DAW, with a little screwing around.

For getting loops of the internal sounds in Patterning, to DJ together in another app, Patterning has some nice, streamlined export options under File>Export
    Set the file type to Audio (.aiff)
    Output can be the song or pattern.
    Set a length for the rendered loop.
    Under Render Options, Render As Loop is probably what you want, I believe that keeps the tails from the last beat, wrapped around to fade over the first beat, so there isn't a glitch in the loop.
    Last, you can open it in Audioshare.

• @Processaurus said:
    I would love to be able to change sounds for different parts of the songs, but I can't imagine how they do that without ruining the simplicity and playability of the app. ...

you might duplicate the kit a couple of times and exchange some sounds in each one.
    Switching kits on the fly while the sequencer is playing is one if my favourite features of this app - it never ever glitched a single time.

• @Telefunky said:

@Processaurus said:
    I would love to be able to change sounds for different parts of the songs, but I can't imagine how they do that without ruining the simplicity and playability of the app. ...

you might duplicate the kit a couple of times and exchange some sounds in each one.
    Switching kits on the fly while the sequencer is playing is one if my favourite features of this app - it never ever glitched a single time.

Good tip! B)

• @Telefunky said:

@Processaurus said:

Is there any way of changing kits via MIDI CCs? Doesn't seem like this is possible except by routing the MIDI notes to other apps and messing with channel routings.

• "Patterning only has clock in MIDI, no note triggering"

So glad you asked this @brambos . Now I know I can use patterning in my AUM or AB3 set up with out fear of having it trigger other synths or vise versa. Apps with omni only have been an absolute pain in the ass for me for live performance.

I think if an app developer does not care to take the time to support midi channels, they can at least make their app have only clock in MIDI, no note triggering. (I'm looking at you Korg Electribe Wave).

But at the same time it would be nice to use the new synth app I got from Reactive called Snap on Patterning 2.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@SMKArtist said:
    "Patterning only has clock in MIDI, no note triggering"

So glad you asked this @brambos . Now I know I can use patterning in my AUM or AB3 set up with out fear of having it trigger other synths or vise versa. Apps with omni only have been an absolute pain in the ass for me for live performance.

I think if an app developer does not care to take the time to support midi channels, they can at least make their app have only clock in MIDI, no note triggering. (I'm looking at you Korg Electribe Wave).

But at the same time it would be nice to use the new synth app I got from Reactive called Snap on Patterning 2.

I’m not sure I read this post correctly, so please excuse if I’m stating something irrelevant. Patterning has no midi notes in, only clock in and midi notes and cc’s out.

Patterning 2 has midi note and cc in and out. It’s fully configurable and not a problem like some of the Korg apps.

• @wim said:

@SMKArtist said:
    "Patterning only has clock in MIDI, no note triggering"

I’m not sure I read this post correctly, so please excuse if I’m stating something irrelevant. Patterning has no midi notes in, only clock in and midi notes and cc’s out.

Patterning 2 has midi note and cc in and out. It’s fully configurable and not a problem like some of the Korg apps.

Oh Patterning 2 can take in midi notes. Well alright how the hell did I get away from my controller not accidentally triggering it while in AUM? Got to look into Patterning 2 more then. Damn it!