Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SeekBeats vs. Elastic Drums

Hi everybody!

Would any of you like to weigh in on a comparison of these two apps? I have SeekBeats and really like it, but was wondering about Elastic Drums and would like to hear from some people who maybe use both, or have a strong affinity towards one or the other.

Comments

• I like Seekbeats better because the app flow is more streamlined when it comes to selecting individual drum hits and then editing them. That’s all it comes down to really; I don’t use Elastic Drums because I think it is too clunky, the pattern sequencer included.

I also think Seekbeats generally has a cleaner, sleeker sound, but I am someone who usually prefers classic analog samples to drum synths. Seekbeats is a true gem, as I’ve rediscovered.

• Elasticdrums bombs out without fail for me in AUM, and they seem to have no intention of fixing it, so if you use AUM I’d forget that one.

SeekBeats is more stable, though lacks the better UI of ED.

Depends what you’re looking for, but to be honest I’d go for either Patterning or the Ruismakers, than the two you’ve mentioned.

• Both great. I prefer SB sounds, envelope editor and randomizer, but ED workflow and filter automation is great. Fortunately, you can sample SB hits into ED and have the best of both worlds. I like to mix the two and throw in an acoustic hit sample as well. Makes the beat more interesting and helps cover your tracks.

• The randomise function in Seekbeats is really top-notch!
    ElasticDrums has some IAPs options that allow import of user-samples and new synthesis methods which is a nice touch.

I've always found Seekbeets to have a more 'punchy' sound while ElasticDrums sounds more laid-back and sometimes even a bit 'mushy'.

• No experiece with ED, but Seekbeats sounds better than any other drum machine I have in iOS, and that includes the ones in Gadget.

• the sample option in ED is quite flexible, you can set startpoint, envelope and loop within the app (no need to preprocess with precise cuts etc)

• They're both great. Very!

Agree that SB's sounds tend to punch more. You can get a greater variety of sounds out of ED though. ED also has great automation and per part length and clock dividers. I haven't tried the new effects in SB but ED has good effects out of the box.

If you like drum synthesizers, you'll be stoked to have both.

• Both top tier iOS drum machines. Can't pick between them.

• I agree that they're both great, but it took me a bit longer to come around to ED. It's a lot of fun once you start using the velocity mapping and experimenting with automation. I think the sample import IAP is a must. Can be really fun to work out a tune on ED alone, but I would agree with @Samu that it can sound "mushy" when you start using it for production with other elements.

Seek Beats is in a league of its own in my opinion. It doesn't even bother me that i can't import my own sounds because the sounds you can make with it sound so damn good. I've done straight pop sounds/house sounds/urban sounds with this thing. And if you want instant tweaking, the randomizer is in its own class; nothing touches it.

But would still get them both if you can afford it. :)

• @DCJ said:
    I agree that they're both great, but it took me a bit longer to come around to ED. It's a lot of fun once you start using the velocity mapping and experimenting with automation. I think the sample import IAP is a must. Can be really fun to work out a tune on ED alone, but I would agree with @Samu that it can sound "mushy" when you start using it for production with other elements.

Seek Beats is in a league of its own in my opinion. It doesn't even bother me that i can't import my own sounds because the sounds you can make with it sound so damn good. I've done straight pop sounds/house sounds/urban sounds with this thing. And if you want instant tweaking, the randomizer is in its own class; nothing touches it.

But would still get them both if you can afford it. :)

This are words right out of my mouth. But do not underestimate how awesome the velocity mapping and automation experimentation is. It's built-in sounds are oddly terrible — or maybe they just come from a very narrow aesthetic. But once you start importing your own samples, it gets really interesting. Seems to be about as close as iOS gets to the Elektron Digitakt.

But yeah, SeekBeats is fantastic.

It's like asking, Which is better, pizza or ice cream?
    Why on earth would you choose?

• Stealing from another thread, maybe these two apps should have a baby.

Throw in Patterning if you nasty.

• @aaronpc said:
    Stealing from another thread, maybe these two apps should have a baby.

Throw in Patterning if you nasty.

Can we please all get nasty.

Patterning is a functional necessity for me. I think SB and P are the yin and yang of drum machines. Need both.

• I have elastic and don't like it. Wish I had seekbeats instead. One day

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    iElectribe

This from the guy who owns the real thing. High praise indeed!

• I just got SeekBeats and prefer Elastic Drums for the sound and functions. Elastic just seems more musical to me and easier to program odd time signatures. I haven’t given up on SB though. It does have a somewhat brighter sound if that’s your thing. I think I like things a bit more smeary/bassy. It also doesn’t help that the delay doesn’t seem to work on drum 8 in SB. Will dump and reload.

• Thanks for all the great replies. I think I am going to get ED at some point, already use SB and am happy with it, and trying to finally pick up AUM as it seems immensely useful.

• Seekbeats just dropped in price...

• edited March 2018

Get em all
    (iElectribe included)
    ED is an amazing thing - and for me more of a workstation unto itself, capable of melodic as well as drum programming, automation and p-lock madness. Exports stems....
    Seekbeats works better with others and has multi-audio outs...
    Both offer detailed sound design

• Dang, I didn’t even have AUM when I started this topic! :D
    In the time since, I have fallen in love with both Ruismaker offerings. I still don’t have ED, but I do have EFX and really like it.
    The Ruismaker twins are my go to now. I still use other stuff, but these two are the fastest for me get something great happening.

• Thanks for the heads up on price drop, seekbeats gonna purchase when I get home
    Thanks
    Elastic drums rocks, and so does patterning, been looking at seekbeats on and off for a while, was actually going to buy ruismaker tonight, but seekbeats here I come

• edited March 2018

@Nicebutfun said:
    Thanks for the heads up on price drop, seekbeats gonna purchase when I get home
    Thanks
    Elastic drums rocks, and so does patterning, been looking at seekbeats on and off for a while, was actually going to buy ruismaker tonight, but seekbeats here I come

Depends what you're looking for but my vote goes to the Ruismaker's. SeekBeat's is fun, but a bit too whacky for some tastes, even mine. If you have Rozeta, then the Ruismaker's will fit nicely into that setup, and Ruismaker FM can do whacky if you want too.

• If the Ruismaker are in the running, I’d have to admit that Ruismaker FM gets the most use of all, especially given its an AUv3, and AUM, and Rozeta...

• @MonzoPro said:

@Nicebutfun said:
    Thanks

Depends what you're looking for but my vote goes to the Ruismaker's. SeekBeat's is fun, but a bit too whacky for some tastes, even mine. If you have Rozeta, then the Ruismaker's will fit nicely into that setup, and Ruismaker FM can do whacky if you want too.

And it is very cool to pile on 2 or 3 instances of Ruismaker and or Ruismaker FM running off of a Rozeta XOX and a Rozeta Rhythm.

SeekBeats is cool too, would be awesome as a AU.

• @JudgeDredd said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Nicebutfun said:
    Thanks

And it is very cool to pile on 2 or 3 instances of Ruismaker and or Ruismaker FM running off of a Rozeta XOX and a Rozeta Rhythm.

Yeah that's the thing, you could build up monster kits with more instances, and ridiculously light on CPU so even old timer's like my Air 2 can run it.

• Judging the last few comments
    Think I will have to nab ruismaker and seekbeats then
    Thanks

• Why not. Just skip Starbucks for a day... ;)

• @rthr said:
    Why not. Just skip Starbucks for a day... ;)

Totally. All the Brambos stuff is ridiculously cheap, incredibly fun, and super powerful when you start to use them together in multi AU modular fashion. Everyone should really have them all. I just need Troublemaker then I am a completist. B)

• Seekbeats is my fav drum synth. Elastidums has nice swing, fun to work with samples & resampling.

• edited July 2018

Soooooo.... Both SB and ED are 2 apps along with Patterning that I totally love. Patterning is coming out with a big update soon, I'd love it if SB and ED came out with at least a 'small' update soon as well...

SeekBeats: Please give me midi-control on everything!! And please give me more than 8 patterns per file or session or whatever it is... And please give me sort by date/#ofpatterns or snapshots/tags to file browser, its hella hard to find my songs in there... I love your randomizer, and the crazy amounts of snapshots, and the envelope view, and the wacky modular fx page... I would pay happily for SB2.0 Could be cool to host FX only AU's in there, but needs a lot of work to be a decent full host. Would be a great AU drum machine inside a host as a separate app I'd pay for.

Elastic: Please give individual outs in Aum/Ape/AB! Please update file browser with date/pattern/tags etc... And some cool new samplers would be fun (would need better sample browser). Love this app, nothing else like it for gritty techno awesome. Could be a great host of AU FX too. Would make a great AU drum machine inside a host as separate app that I'd pay for.

WE NEED MORE AU DRUM MACHINES WITH SIMPLE SEQUENCERS LIKE THESE 2 APPS!!

The thing is... I tried both apps out on big ass soundsystems a couple weekends ago, and butt naked they sounded so good, better than a lot of the sample based stuff... Drumsynths are where its at, AFAIC... Would love to see more symple drumsynth AU's with cool ideas for the synth part. Patterning is the jam if samples are your jam, but for AU there isn't a lot of drum machines I connect with.

Hugs and smooches