Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Use Case Scenario, trying to understand Audiobus

I've spent the past few weeks in an experiment into iOS guitar land, mainly because of how convenient the Blueboard looked, and the idea of so few wires and devices being so portable. I thought of it as an academic exercise and then I would go back to my regular gear and computers and such, but, I guess I kind of got hooked. I realize they are different beasts, and that I shouldn't try to get the exact workflow and techniques from the iStuff as the laptop or desktop stuff, but I think the same sort of goes in to comes out can happen and I'm trying to work out how.

Preset switching in the guitar apps seems to take too long to be all that smart live, so I have been using the dual paths offered in tonestack and biasfx and quite happy to switch that way

So as a good starting point, a setup I'd like to have is this:
Condition A: iRig HD2 hardware input goes to a Tonestack preset containing only a Wah pedal, then out of Tonestack BIAS FX with the cabinet simulator turned off, then back to Tonestack for a preset containing the ABY splitter switched to path B for time based fx and a harmonizer then out of Tonestack into Fiddlicator for an IR loader then out to the iRig2 hardware out.

Condition B: iRig HD2 hardware input bypasses the first tonestack instance, bypasses BIAS FX, goes straight to The second tonestack instance, and instead of the ABY B path, goes thru the ABY A path. From the output of tonestack, it bypasses Fiddlicator and goes straight out the iRig2 Hardware out.

Hopefully these could be switched between by either one or two CC switches.

In addition, the CC's to turn on and off the FX in tonestack should still work, and the "state control" for the wah in Tonestack should still work.

In fact, if anyone knows how to make the WAH in BIAS FX turn on and off and be controlled by the same pedal the way it does in Tonestack, I could ditch the first instance of tonestack in this scenario

From http://www.yonac.com/tonestack/tonestack_manual.html#midi

"Continuous ToneStack parameters also provide an optional STATE CONTROL feature. This feature is convenient in situation where you want to be able to control a parameter and toggle the unit on or off using the same CC. With STATE CONTROL turned on, an incoming MIDI value of 0 will turn off the unit. When MIDI value is increased, the unit will automatically turn back on. This is particularly helpful when using expression pedals with units like wahs and pitch mods: when the pedal is in fully heel-down position, the unit will turn off. To turn unit back on, simply depress the pedal slightly. "

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Comments

• Ok, I may be doing something wrong, but it appears I can only run one instance of tonestack inside audiobus, is this true in general for any app?

• @pipelineaudio said:
    Ok, I may be doing something wrong, but it appears I can only run one instance of tonestack inside audiobus, is this true in general for any app?

Yes, only one instance unless it is an AU (Audio Unit) app. As far as your specific query, sorry I can’t help. Over my head.

• @pipelineaudio said:
    Ok, I may be doing something wrong, but it appears I can only run one instance of tonestack inside audiobus, is this true in general for any app?

Yes, but there are two versions of Tonestack so you might be able to use both in AB. Not sure so you might check with Yonac on that before purchasing.