Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

which iDAW has the most advanced audio editor?

looking for the most versatile audio editor for both basic editing AND creative mangling (read automation) of easily imported samples/loops.
i really do not care edit: for workarounds!
tia

Comments

• edited October 2017

i really do not care about workarounds!

Meaning you are OK with workarounds?

• @AudioGus said:

i really do not care about workarounds!

Meaning you are OK with workarounds?

to the contrary!

• tbh the failing of IOS DAWs in the edit domain is a total mystery for me... o:)
    The best wave editing is in TwistedWave, but that's just 1 track, not a DAW.
    ('best' attribute is for speed/precision and for a smart touch interface implementation)
    Auria is quite smart in automation, but a pinch/drag pita imho.

• edited October 2017

MultiTrackStudio, hands down.

• True. This. Like so many other of its features, Caustics audio editor rivals standalone versions. The hitch is that it doesn't have audio tracks as such, which is where half the magic is, assembling the montage

• @Littlewoodg said:

True. This. Like so many other of its features, Caustics audio editor rivals standalone versions. The hitch is that it doesn't have audio tracks as such, which is where half the magic is, assembling the montage

Yep. Same can be said of Nanostudio. Very fluid audio editor but no audio tracks per se. Creating the montage (ala wavelab) is entirely a work around. Audio tracks are coming to NS2 at some point after it's released and I'm hoping the butter from the NS1 editor is carried over to audio track editing. Particularly magical if he manages to pull it off inline within the song view.

I agree with @Telefunky about its shortcomings but Auria is probably yer best bet today.

• What about the multi-track podcast editor from Wooji Juice? I know it's intentionally not a 'music' app but it does seem like it's perhaps closest to Wavelab's Montage view.

• I would say bm3 even if a bit convoluted

• Auria pretty good, zooms in well for fine editing and has variety of curves for fade in/out

• edited October 2017

I think I like MTS because each audio track is in its own workshop/sandbox and the toys are both considerable, and close at hand on a track by track basis. Very easy space to play in: warp, chop and paste, import/export, send bits to sampler pads, and resample. One favorite is baking in fx into audio tracks when re rendering/resampling. Chopping processing and moving bits around withon a track or from track to track feels the most fluid of all the iOS DAWs I have (which is all the ones worth having, and to me they are all worth having. Auria Pro is a monster). On laptop and desktop MTS audio editing is also damned fluid.

• Another nod to BM3 here.

• Auria does it all. Also still have a much higher/finer resolution on the waveforms compared to the other iDAWs I believe.

• @ChrisG said:
    Auria does it all. Also still have a much higher/finer resolution on the waveforms compared to the other iDAWs I believe.

In Auria you can edit down to the individual sample level.

In terms of audio editing it really depends on what the OP is looking for. Auria can cut, paste, fade in and out (with a selection of curves) crossfade, realtime warp, quantize, shift pitch, and stretch. If you also count the insert effects then the possibilities increase, with EQ, compression, filtering, distortion etc...

Not sure if there is a more comprehensive editor on iOS, but again it really depends on what the OP is trying to achieve. For example if it's processing samples then BM3 is probably a better choice (because you can set loop points, do slicing etc). If you're trying to create seamless loops I think Auria would work better.

• If only we had an AU sample/audio editor.

• @ChrisG said:
    Auria does it all. Also still have a much higher/finer resolution on the waveforms compared to the other iDAWs I believe.

MTS has the same resolution (sample accurate) for editing (and automation)

• single sample zoom is a pretty regular feature - the more interesting part is how (!) zoom in and out is handled.
    That makes all the difference as the point of interest moves dramatically with scale, often resulting in pinch-drag-pinch-drag sequences.

• @Tritonman said:
    Another nod to BM3 here.

And a third.

• edited October 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Tritonman said:
    Another nod to BM3 here.

And a third.

I'm down with BM3 as well but I don't know how to play with the audio that's already in the timeline (I know this is user error/oversight)
    Edit: found it.
    What's lacking is direct line to (intua) Pasteboard, and AudioShare, and the all-in-one-page workflow

• @richardyot said:

@ChrisG said:

In terms of audio editing it really depends on what the OP is looking for. Auria can cut, paste, fade in and out (with a selection of curves) crossfade, realtime warp, quantize, shift pitch, and stretch. If you also count the insert effects then the possibilities increase, with EQ, compression, filtering, distortion etc...

Not sure if there is a more comprehensive editor on iOS, but again it really depends on what the OP is trying to achieve. For example if it's processing samples then BM3 is probably a better choice (because you can set loop points, do slicing etc). If you're trying to create seamless loops I think Auria would work better.

Well said! I actually use Audioshare for most of my basic audio editing. Cutting audio into loops (really liking that "nudge" button) and whatnot, basic fading duties etc.

@Littlewoodg said:

@ChrisG said:

Cool, I never did buy that one (I think...hmm), will check it out sometime though, I mean I gotta collect all the iDAWs even if I never end up using them, just like I do with all the other music apps out there:-).

• never needed the nudge button - in fact I cut almost everything that doesn't need ultimate precision with the Trim function's long-hold autozoom. It's really well implemented.

• Does anybody have experiences with n-Track for iOS? Don't know if it has the same automation possibilities the desktop version has.

• Beatmaker 3

• @ChrisG said:

@richardyot said:

@ChrisG said:

Well said! I actually use Audioshare for most of my basic audio editing. Cutting audio into loops (really liking that "nudge" button) and whatnot, basic fading duties etc.

@Littlewoodg said:

@ChrisG said:

Cool, I never did buy that one (I think...hmm), will check it out sometime though, I mean I gotta collect all the iDAWs even if I never end up using them, just like I do with all the other music apps out there:-).

Yep. Both. Need to try MTS one of these days. They never implemented port per midi track so I've held off. I don't want to though!

• @bert said:
    Does anybody have experiences with n-Track for iOS? Don't know if it has the same automation possibilities the desktop version has.

Every time i give it another test drive it turns me off - soo fiddley imo

• edited October 2017

A comment was made. An orginal post was reread. A commented was..

(DELETED)

• Multitrack DAW is very simple and powerful. That's my go to

• A less expensive but very usable option is Audio Evolution Mobile.
    You can do all edits in-track, but still common edit operations like split, trim, vertical/horizontal zoom, normalize, reverse, time stretch, pitch shift, fade in/out, nondestructively change start/end point of a clip - all is possible.

• Multitrack DAW is my favorite recorder app, but unfortunately it's edit options are very humble. Yet it's functional in it's limited domain.

Audio Evolution is (for my application) practically unusuable:
    on split-move-size regions it exposes severe drawing artifacts that change with zoom setting/position. Removed parts of the waveform suddenly reappear.
    No lock to zero-crossing or respective setting option. Finger release gives rather unprecise position results.
    Trying to to zoom while in split-mode may trigger accident splits.
    High zoom levels loose zero line in waveform display (just like Auria).

The developer is a nice chap and extremely responsive, though :+1:
    (since AE is a multiplatform project and not focussed on IOS exclusively I'm not too picky)
    There is quite a lot in the trial version to test iirc. I bought the IAP anyway.

To simply snip out a few sections on a track AE is ok, but on details it fails - just like MTD.