Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Odessa (LIVE - IT FINALLY HAPPENED!)

Comments

• @mschenkel.it said:

This is also the one thing I'm really missing in iOS: a sequencer in the likes of NI's Massive. VirSyn did a pretty good job with their Multi Segment Envelope Generator

Agreed, this is partially why I'm addicted to the step-modulator in BM3...

Why stick with standard boring 'wave-shapes' for LFO's when they are just a bunch of numbers already?

In my 'brain' digital LFO's are just single-cycle waveforms that should be possible 'hand draw/finger paint' if needed.
    They could include 'presets' for some standard waves that could then be modified.

To take things one step further, let an LFO modify the 'shape' of another LFO :)
    Or maybe 'scroll' the LFO 'value table' on X or Y axis to add some animation?

I think Xynthisiser has a 'Life' module that modifies the notes it's playing back on each pass.
    Think of applying similar behaviour to an LFO wave?

• ^ that sounds like a wave table LFO. Amazing. +1 for whatever that is.

• @Samu said:
    Why stick with standard boring 'wave-shapes' for LFO's when they are just a bunch of numbers already?

The general answer to this is that creating this bunch of numbers requires a User Interface and when not designed carefully those tend to make things ridiculously overcomplicated, when a simple, easy-to-use solution suffices in 99% of the cases :D

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

The general answer to this is that creating this bunch of numbers requires a User Interface and when not designed carefully those tend to make things ridiculously overcomplicated, when a simple, easy-to-use solution suffices in 99% of the cases :D

True that, what about 'long tap' on a wave-preset to enter 'draw mode' and draw some(1-256 don't know how long 'cycles' the LFOs needs) 7-bit values into it?

The 'depth' of the modulation would have to be sacrificed to retain the 'accuracy' of the drawn values :)
    (I'm totally bonkers for the Kamata Gadget with 32 4-bit values).

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

A version of the Bassline sequencer that sends a CC value would do it (with smoothing available between the steps as an option )

• A very quick preview at the initial six plugins in the app:

• @AndyPlankton said:

@brambos said:

@Samu said:

A version of the Bassline sequencer that sends a CC value would do it (with smoothing available between the steps as an option )

Great minds think alike as I already suggested that lol

• @brambos your Odessa suite is truly going to be a game changer. Thanks so much for your hard work on this!

• edited November 2017

@Samu said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Whaaaat, so there’s multi apps/sequencer types? I haven’t been keeping up. That LFO sounds wicked.

Yeah, but I do wonder if it's possible to directly assign the 'LFO' using AUParameter names from the 'destination plug-in' or does the routing have to be done using midi-mapping on the host?

https://media.giphy.com/media/1xmB8F61ZowU0/giphy.gif

(It's me! It's not you!) ;)
    Sometimes these feature requests just .....whooooosh way over my head.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Samu said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Whaaaat, so there’s multi apps/sequencer types? I haven’t been keeping up. That LFO sounds wicked.

Yeah, but I do wonder if it's possible to directly assign the 'LFO' using AUParameter names from the 'destination plug-in' or does the routing have to be done using midi-mapping on the host?

(It's me! It's not you!) ;)

Lol

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Samu said:

@oat_phipps said:

Good question.

The nice thing about AU Parameters is that they have nice, meaningful names. E.g. you could have an AU Parameter called "Filter Cutoff Frequency" - as opposed to just an arbitrary number in MIDI CC land.

Since Odessa generates MIDI, and plugins don't know about each other's existence, you can't directly select a destination Parameter in Odessa plugins. However, AUM makes it quite easy to assign outgoing MIDI CC messages to AU Parameters so you don't have to know all the CC mappings of an AU synth.

:)

• screenshots please ! :)

• @brambos said:
    A very quick preview at the initial six plugins in the app:

My God. It's full of stars.

• @Hansson said:
    screenshots please ! :)

I posted some earlier in this thread, but it’s probably better if someone does a video of connections as it’s so easy once you see it done (presuming that is what you were on about lol).

• Oh boy that video is great. Can’t wait

• Yeah I'm buying this.

• @brambos said:

Cool!

Does the arpeggiator have 'note repeat'?(ie. repeat the current step x times).

So for example if the octave is set to 2 and one holds down C-2 with note repeat set to 1 it would be C-2,C-3,C-2,C-3 but with note repeat set to 2 it would be C-2,C-2,C-3,C-3,C-2,C-2,C-3,C-3 etc. (Poison-202's has this in it's arpeggiator as well as iMini but it's not often implemented in other arpeggiators). Another is 'trigger pattern'(or arp step x on/off) and with a combination of note-repeat it would be a pretty nifty melody/bass-line maker :)

For those classic Dum(C-2),rest,Da(C-3),Da(C-3) bass lines ;)

• I wanna see BassLine and Arp more please?

• edited November 2017

Since Odessa generates MIDI, and plugins don't know about each other's existence, you can't directly select a destination Parameter in Odessa plugins. However, AUM makes it quite easy to assign outgoing MIDI CC messages to AU Parameters so you don't have to know all the CC mappings of an AU synth.

@brambos:

What about this workaround... but first, i have 2 assumptions - i'm not sure if it is possible and if it works THIS way, so if my assumptions are wrong, my idea is no-go ..

assumption1: AUv3 plugin is able act as AU host, so you can load other AUv3 plugin from plugin itself.
    assumption2: AU parameters are simply MIDI CC, just taged with nice name

Now, my idea:

• in Odessa will be select "get CC names from plugin parameters"
    • using this select, user chooses AU plugin
    • you load plugin on the background (without need of displaying it's UI), read AU parameters map, then you can upload plugin
    • you use nice names for AU plugin parameters (until users loads different map or reset it to default CC numbers)
  • @brambos said:
    I have room for a few beta testers. Let me know if you'd like to help me squash out the last few bugs.

Odessa requires access to iOS11 and AUM (currently the only host which allows AUv3 MIDI routing).

Please check your inbox! :smiley:

• Was the release timing question answered?

• @brambos said:

So is this a single app that allows all of these functions, or are these six different plugins?

• @Audiojunkie said:

@brambos said:

So is this a single app that allows all of these functions, or are these six different plugins?

Things of Beauty, by the way!! :smiley:

• @Audiojunkie said:

@brambos said:
    I have room for a few beta testers. Let me know if you'd like to help me squash out the last few bugs.

Odessa requires access to iOS11 and AUM (currently the only host which allows AUv3 MIDI routing).

Please check your inbox! :smiley:

Hmmm..... It looks like you may be full.... :neutral:

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Was the release timing question answered?

No, it was not. And I'm locked in a box with a steadily diminishing supply of oxygen so please, Mr. Bos, hurry.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

No, it was not. And I'm locked in a box with a steadily diminishing supply of oxygen so please, Mr. Bos, hurry.

Very soon! Beta is steadily nearing completion :)

• @brambos said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

yup. he just needs to add my feature requests and its good to go! (#peerpressure)

• I haven’t the faintest idea what’s going on here but I like it. I guess this means I’ll have to update my iOS...

• @brambos said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I trust you.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/nEEtACMrompG/giphy.gif