Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Odessa (LIVE - IT FINALLY HAPPENED!)

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Was the release timing question answered?

Lol. Your question had me looking back through this thread trying to find the "release timing question" you had referred to. My mistake was I thought you were talking envelopes, not release dates. I thought I missed some important technical info until your question was answered. :D

• @CracklePot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Was the release timing question answered?

Lol. Your question had me looking back through this thread trying to find the "release timing question" you had referred to. My mistake was I thought you were talking envelopes, not release dates. I thought I missed some important technical info until your question was answered. :D

Ha, I guess I'd have taken an answer to either!

• Wow, these videos of odessa in aum are simply beautiful/ beautifully simple. Music creation as art. Amazing!

• Felt comfortable running 10.3.3. Had no desire to upgrade to iOS11. Watched Odessa video. Am now running 11.1.1.

• @Cliffy said:
    Felt comfortable running 10.3.3. Had no desire to upgrade to iOS11. Watched Odessa video. Am now running 11.1.1.

Enjoy the ride! :)

• Is it ok to upgrade a mini 2 to ios 11? that's the only app that would make me consider it...

• @brambos said:
    Just spent a few hours measuring the exact jitter of Egyptian Lover's TR-808.... Step by step, sample-accurate, so I can optionally inject the same legendary analog slop into your drum patterns B)

What the actual fuck? Marry me.

• Sorry if these have been answered already but I can't recall or find it:

can you set certain sequencers within a given instance to respond to external midi for transposition?

Is it possible to set a given sequencer within an instance as a transpose source for the other sequencers within the same instance without routing it back out and in via the host?

Is it possible to use the LFO module to modulate anything within the sequencers themselves, like amount or range of randomness, pattern length, step velocity ...?

• @syrupcore said:
    can you set certain sequencers within a given instance to respond to external midi for transposition?

The entire instance listens to transpose MIDI messages. But each instance only contains one sequencer and you can have as many instances as you like.

Is it possible to set a given sequencer within an instance as a transpose source for the other sequencers within the same instance without routing it back out and in via the host?

All routing has to go through the host, because plugin(instances) don't know of each other's existence. But (although I haven't tested it) I guess it should be possible to use the output of one sequencer as a transpose source for another.

Is it possible to use the LFO module to modulate anything within the sequencers themselves, like amount or range of randomness, pattern length, step velocity ...?

Not right now.

:)

• @brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

Not right now.

Glad to see I ain’t the only one that wants this :D

• @brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

The entire instance listens to transpose MIDI messages. But each instance only contains one sequencer and you can have as many instances as you like.

All routing has to go through the host, because plugin(instances) don't know of each other's existence. But (although I haven't tested it) I guess it should be possible to use the output of one sequencer as a transpose source for another.

Not right now.

Gracias Señor Bos. The first answer explains the second. I was still AUConfused. If I understand, now, more correctly:

Odessa is an AU MIDI plugin. Any single instance of it can take the form of one of six MIDI generators (so far!). Though we might refer to it as a generator, it can actually both generate and effect incoming midi signals (arpeggiator!). You can have as many instances as you like (or your device supports). Trueish?

Can aum handle multiple instances of Odessa pointed at a single destination? Say, one of the sequencers and an LFO instance pointed at the same destination? If so, on discreet AUM channels or combined? I'm guessing discreet or sequencers could transpose other sequencers by virtue of being 'inline'.

• Almost :)

The Odessa app contains 6 plugins. Each one can be loaded as often as you like (with a memory footprint of <512kb per plugin instance the memory limits of your device are merely theoretical).

Yes, you can have multiple plugins feed MIDI into the same destination. So you can have a bassline pattern driving Zeeon, and also feed an LFO and XY pad controller into it without issues :)

Any combination of MIDI input/output can be set up using AUM’s routing matrix.

• @brambos said:
    Almost :)

The Odessa app contains 6 plugins. Each one can be loaded as often as you like (with a memory footprint of <512kb per plugin instance the memory limits of your device are merely theoretical).

Yes, you can have multiple plugins feed MIDI into the same destination. So you can have a bassline pattern driving Zeeon, and also feed an LFO and XY pad controller into it without issues :)

Any combination of MIDI input/output can be set up using AUM’s routing matrix.

<3

• edited November 2017

@brambos and my idea how to see directly inside odessa plugin names of controlled AU plugin parameters istead of just CC numbers (my post on previous page) - is my proposed workaround at least theoretically possible ? Any chance you adopt in some form one day this idea ? :-)

• @dendy said:
    @brambos and my idea how to see directly inside odessa plugin names of controlled AU plugin parameters istead of just CC (my post on previous page) - is my proposed workaround at least theoretically possible ? Any chance you adopt in some form one day this idea ? :-)

As far as I know plugins can’t host other plugins.

But using AUM’s MIDI Controller it’s really straightforward to connect Odessa’s CC output to AU parameters.

Or if you often use the same CC mapping you can configure the CC numbers directly in Odessa and save the AU preset as a template for later use. Everything is saved inside the AU presets.

• edited November 2017

Here’s one for you Moog fans:

This is 3 instances of the latest update of Model15 running on AUM at 1024, being driven by 3 instances of Odessa Baseline while having their individual Cutoff knobs controlled by 3 instances of Odessa LFOs!

It all works fine as long as I don’t try to do anything else, then it’s crackle city lol

This is on an Air2 iOS 11.1

• Looks great, what are the follow actions mentioned in the video? :)

• Each sequence can have 8 patterns, and using the follow actions you can automatically/randomly jump between them.

• How soon is now?

• @brambos said:
    Out of courtesy to our good friend Matt @nanostudio I'm changing my projectname to Odessa. Although I wasn't aware of it, Matt had chosen the Obsidian name a long time ago already.

I think the proper snarky thing to do would be to call the app:

Nano Maker

or

Kopy Kat

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS APP!

I normally don't pre release gush but I have soiled myself after the demo I just saw.

• Great stuff @brambos

I’ve just skimmed the thread, so sorry if this came up already, but will we be able to colour-code different instances? It might prevent mix-ups.

I’m excited by the LFOs, oddly.

• nice :) are any controls midi mappable in AUM AU parameters?

@brambos said:
    Each sequence can have 8 patterns, and using the follow actions you can automatically/randomly jump between them.

• Yes the LFOs are a great addition, I've been hoping for this in AUM for a long time and even asked JL to include them natively in AUM.

• @brambos said:
    A very quick preview at the initial six plugins in the app:

Will it be a single purchase, with all 6 plugins in the suite, or individual IAP's? And any hints on release date and price?

I'm a fan of the way your sequencers work in your standalone apps, and this looks perfect for how I use the iPad for music. Looks like it'll be the shove I probably need to update to iOS11....

• I have been forced by a hipster wielding an iThing to book an appointment with a "genius" to diagnose my terminally bricked Pro on Monday (earliest appointment available, what is this, a doctor's surgery?).

Can't come quickly enough.

I swear I wouldn't use Apple's gear if it wasn't so ****ing good at the music production thing.

Will, of course, buy this.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Will it be a single purchase, with all 6 plugins in the suite, or individual IAP's?

Single purchase. You'll get them all and any upcoming additions in the near future. I'm not saying there will never be an IAP, but the first few updates will certainly be free.

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Will it be a single purchase, with all 6 plugins in the suite, or individual IAP's?

Single purchase. You'll get them all and any upcoming additions in the near future. I'm not saying there will never be an IAP, but the first few updates will certainly be free.

Lovely. Will it be universal? (apologies if you’ve already answered, but it’s a long thread)

Will the rhythm app have built in sounds, or does it just trigger other apps? If so, what drum apps work with it (aside from your own).

Sorry for all the questions, I realise you’re a bit busy, leave them for someone else to answer if you like.

• @MonzoPro said:

@brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

Lovely. Will it be universal? (apologies if you’ve already answered, but it’s a long thread)

Will the rhythm app have built in sounds, or does it just trigger other apps? If so, what drum apps work with it (aside from your own).

Universal, yes. But not recommended on a 5S/SE as things get pretty small. Works in a pinch, but it's not fun.

There are no sounds in any of the plugins. Any drum app or external hardware drum machine that responds to MIDI should work (oddly Patterning doesn't). I have already included the key mappings for the most used drum apps and hardware boxes so it's pretty easy to set up.