Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Reminder that WE ARE MUSICIANS

Title: Electronic Musicians Are Talentless
From the channel BoyInABand

Comments

• But in the end the cat won't fetch the ball

• @mschenkel.it said:
    But in the end the cat won't fetch the ball

probably because it is stuffed!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @midiSequencer said:

@mschenkel.it said:

... with delusions of fame

• @Milestone_Music said:
    A Reminder that WE ARE MUSICIANS

I’m not.

• I prefer cats and not "Despacito".

• @supadom said:

@midiSequencer said:

@mschenkel.it said:

... with delusions of fame

look mum! I'm on telly - seems to me its famous already - would be more so if it was a real cat though :)

• So easy a chicken can do it!

• I'm an artist, dear boy. Musician? Perish the thought.

• edited October 2017

I could teach my grandma how to use the Launchpad app in half an hour and she could be capable enough to provide music at a party. It would take her years to learn to play anything proficiently on a guitar or piano or other instrument. Let's not kid ourselves too much here. Drawing a four bar sequence in an app and adjusting the filter is not in the same league talentwise/skillwise as playing the guitar proficiently (or even at a basic level) for example.

Does that mean I enjoy electronic music any less? No. But I'm not deluded to think it takes the same thousands of hours of dedicated repetitive practice to get good as on a traditional instrument.

Side note: I understand there's a variety of electronic musicians. Some just play loops while tweaking a knob or two a la most of Boiler Room,
    while some are like mad scientists with a wall of modular equipment. Yes there are the Aphex Twins of the world but to get music going electronically is infinitely easier for the average joe with little to no music background than it is for him to do so on a traditional instrument.

I can turn on the radio. Does that put me in the league as people who can play the violin? Of course not. Although John Cage might disagree.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I'm an artist, dear boy. Musician? Perish the thought.

Excuse me sir ! Don't you mean Arteeest ? :D

• No, we are Devo

• edited October 2017

@ipadthai said:
    I could teach my grandma how to use the Launchpad app in half an hour and she could be capable enough to provide music at a party. It would take her years to learn to play anything proficiently on a guitar or piano or other instrument. Let's not kid ourselves too much here. Drawing a four bar sequence in an app and adjusting the filter is not in the same league talentwise/skillwise as playing the guitar proficiently (or even at a basic level) for example.

Does that mean I enjoy electronic music any less? No. But I'm not deluded to think it takes the same thousands of hours of dedicated repetitive practice to get good as on a traditional instrument.

Side note: I understand there's a variety of electronic musicians. Some just play loops while tweaking a knob or two a la most of Boiler Room,
    while some are like mad scientists with a wall of modular equipment. Yes there are the Aphex Twins of the world but to get music going electronically is infinitely easier for the average joe with little to no music background than it is for him to do so on a traditional instrument.

I can turn on the radio. Does that put me in the league as people who can play the violin? Of course not. Although John Cage might disagree.

To me good electronic music is of course more about creativity than it is any sort of musical, realtime performance (ie. playing. Heh). Generic groovebox/sequencer syndrome sounds less interesting than a novice kid with an electric guitar, an fx pedal with delay and reverb cranked, being played with a metal ruler and passion (to me anyway). But give that same kid just an acoustic and it likely becomes offensive pretty fast.

By that same token someone can be an amazing musician and never compose their own stuff or even have their own style/take on a song, but an electronic musician who only does accurate covers, is just a step up from 'watch me launch someone else's clips'. If electronic music is deemed easier simply because a novice sounds less flawed then that is also a reflection of the criteria of the person judging.

• @AudioGus said:

@ipadthai said:

To me good electronic music is of course more about creativity than it is any sort of musical, realtime performance (ie. playing. Heh). Generic groovebox/sequencer syndrome sounds less interesting than a novice kid with an electric guitar, an fx pedal with delay and reverb cranked, being played with a metal ruler and passion (to me anyway). But give that same kid just an acoustic and it likely becomes offensive pretty fast.

By that same token someone can be an amazing musician and never compose their own stuff or even have their own style/take on a song, but an electronic musician who only does accurate covers, is a just a step up from 'watch me launch someone else's clips'. If electronic music is deemed easier simply because a novice sounds less flawed then that is also a reflection of the criteria of the person judging.

Excellent thread. These 2 posts summarize my feelings perfectly. Coming from a family of piano players, my background was rooted in trombone, which helped me become the fretless bassist I am today. However, I've always lusted after the transcending sounds of synth music, and iOS has allowed me to indulge to a great degree.

• @Thomas said:

@AudioGus said:

@ipadthai said:

By that same token someone can be an amazing musician and never compose their own stuff or even have their own style/take on a song, but an electronic musician who only does accurate covers, is a just a step up from 'watch me launch someone else's clips'. If electronic music is deemed easier simply because a novice sounds less flawed then that is also a reflection of the criteria of the person judging.

Excellent thread. These 2 posts summarize my feelings perfectly. Coming from a family of piano players, my background was rooted in trombone, which helped me become the fretless bassist I am today. However, I've always lusted after the transcending sounds of synth music, and iOS has allowed me to indulge to a great degree.

I love your transformation from trombonist to fretless bass :smile:

• My grandfather ran a boarding house years ago, and guitarplayers presented a whole host of problems. He said that if I grew up and became a guitarplayer, I deserved an ass kicking.
    If he were able to hear me play, I fear that my ass would be safe from harm ;)

• So is a Guitar Hero expert a musician too? It definitely takes skill and practice to become an expert, and music comes out the other end...
    On another note, there was an MPC game on iOS where you had to copy pad pressing patterns after hearing them and then get rated for accuracy. It was pretty hard after just a few levels and made me consider that rhythmic button pressing in complex patterns is a skill that you have to develop, just like a traditional musical skill.

• It's very easy to play simple stuff on the guitar. It can be picked up very quickly. You can be plunking out cowboy chords, and writing tunes, in weeks. Playing well, as stated, is a whole other story. Is that nooby not a musician? If they can make a coherent piece of music, that makes someone feel something (aside from wanting to leave), then yes, they are. That's my opinion.

Any nitwit can string together some loops in iOS and call it music. And much of the very popular stuff is incredibly repetitious, lacking in any chord changes whatsoever, or much of a melody. But if it's good enough to make a listener feel something, it's music. IMNSHO.

• @rickwaugh said:
    But if it's good enough to make a listener feel something, it's music.

I set the bar low, and usually go for nausea, followed by outrage.

• I think there is a difference between playing an instrument and being a musician. I can play keyboards a bit, and my trumpet kept me out of Vietnam (National Guard Band), and I've composed and recorded songs, but I do not consider myself a musician.... yet. I think a musician understands basic music theory and is SKILLED on at least one instrument.

• @MonzoPro said:

@rickwaugh said:
    But if it's good enough to make a listener feel something, it's music.

I set the bar low, and usually go for nausea, followed by outrage.

It worked for Marylin Manson. You're on your way. :D

• edited October 2017

@grizzlegritz said:
    I think there is a difference between playing an instrument and being a musician. I can play keyboards a bit, and my trumpet kept me out of Vietnam (National Guard Band), and I've composed and recorded songs, but I do not consider myself a musician.... yet. I think a musician understands basic music theory and is SKILLED on at least one instrument.

A fair opinion. For me a musician can break your heart or help you hold on to it, set you free (for a moment at least) or send you towards death's perimeter. Might also try and sleep with your sister.

• edited October 2017

@u0421793 said:

Nice drawing

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@grizzlegritz said:
    I think there is a difference between playing an instrument and being a musician. I can play keyboards a bit, and my trumpet kept me out of Vietnam (National Guard Band), and I've composed and recorded songs, but I do not consider myself a musician.... yet. I think a musician understands basic music theory and is SKILLED on at least one instrument.

A fair opinion. For me a musician can break your heart or help you hold on to it, set you free (for a moment at least) or send you towards death's perimeter. Might also try and sleep with your sister.

Full spectrum right there gentlemen

• edited October 2017

I can play keyboards, piano, synths, harmonica and I am practising bass guitar and I compose my own music by ear but I don't call myself a musician yet.

A musician is someone who can read music notation, write music notation as well as play any instrument like a multi instrumentalist. I cannot read music notation yet.

However, a lot of bands and artists cannot read music notation either. I remember having a drink with a British rock band called Ocean Colour Scene and they told me they cannot read music either.

• edited October 2017

Reading music sheet is a help but most as tool for travelling into musical spheres like a map to visit a museum or mountain. You can learn by yourself (nowadays with internet easier than ever) but a good map and sherpa will get you to the top (of your potential) faster and safier. The wrong one will get you stuck in the forest or make you try to climb through the wrong side of the mountain. In the museum same problem. Good guide will show you the things and made you wonder and imagine; bad will make you hate history or archeology stones with lightning connection :sweat_smile:

So the point is music. If you can feel and share the feeling you are an music “artist”. If you can wrote, read and/or package it in someway and make a living with it then you are a musician. If you are i the middle then you are an amateur musician (or hobbist).

Related to electronic music and its more controversial part: sampling/remixing... If you pay the copyrights and make something that people feels (and buys) you are still a musician but it’s like painting vs photography. New technology makes more popular some artistic expressions and bring improvements. It doesn’t rest value to painting skills but makes harder to make a living from paint. Then sampling/remixer is like “music collage” (musique concrete if you prefer academicism) but an artist of music in the end.

All of this suitable to the context (a must) which is Capitalism (or post-Capitalism) in our present. In the wonderful utopia of full population wealthy this kind of discussion is irrelevant since without first world problems (competence for the money) envy will be just a mental dissease like greed meanwhile music the best therapy for those broken souls.

Meanwhile oneself could just do music for its own soul care and enjoy the travel.

• I once knew a guy who had had a couple of hits and so was always being asked to "give us a tune". But he couldn't play a note and had entered everything note by note on an early version of Cubase. I can play, but no-one asks me. Go figure!

• Do you necessarily have to have talent, or even any skill to be a musician? Is making a noise with something, and recording it and presenting it as a musical piece enough? After all, who is to judge what is, and isn't music?

I listen to a lot of weird, noise type stuff - and I get as much enjoyment from that as I do listening to The Beatles. In 500 years from now when they uncover the tapes, will the noise makers be hailed as the true musicians and bands like The Beatles consigned as amusing pub band novelties? Who are we to judge from our very limited viewpoints?

Does a visual artist need to have any talent or skill whatsoever? A brief hike around the Tate will confirm they don't. A thing is considered 'art', because it's created by an 'artist'. And ouroboros - like they're deemed an 'artist' because they make 'art'.

Maybe the same considerations should be applied to music: I'm a 'musician' because I create 'music', and it's deemed 'music' as it's been created by a 'musician'.

Or some shit like that.