Midi Program Change in midi streams

Wondered what peoples experience of this was. Had a user of Quantum (Pierre Cortial) that wanted to send a program change on step 1 of a sequence - that step also had a midi note.

Of course, in midi timestamp order- Midi note on goes first, then CCs, then midi note off.

The effect of this was to cut short the note - because it seems generally that a program change does an implicit note-off. This sort of makes sense, but just wondered if anyone had experience of this?

I could of course do PChg then Midi note on then Midi note off - but I feel every synth handles Pchg fairly slowly (understandably of course).

Comments

  • edited October 12

    I don't know enough about this but would it be possible to send the PC from a sequencer that was Step Values only since notes are not sent from those type of sequences? Doing it this way means having to use up one of the six sequencers to send the PC and I don't know if doing it that way would still cut off the note.

  • It has been a while since I used pc for anything other than selecting an initial patch mainly due to the fact that using PC’s is always problematic timing wise, sending on step 1 of a sequence is not generally a good idea due to time for synth to change as you say, these usually need to be sent ahead of when you want the note on. This gives another problem in that you cannot send too far ahead of time in case the synth tries to switch while still playing a note or fx tail ( if the fx are part of the synth patch), usually the midi sender has no knowledge of the sound being played so cannot ‘guess’ the best time to send a pc......you usually end up manually fine tuning the timing of the pc in a timeline.
    Perhaps if you enable sending a pc from a step sequencer you could have some sort of predelay you can set to pull the pc forward of the step itself ?

  • Curious - possible to have PC as a follow action?

  • Put the PC on the last step of the previous bar/ have a count in bar?

    Can't be that easy I guess.

  • @midiSequencer said:
    Wondered what peoples experience of this was. Had a user of Quantum (Pierre Cortial) that wanted to send a program change on step 1 of a sequence - that step also had a midi note.

    I wonder how other sequencers handle this. If Pierre just wants to ensure that a PC is sent so that when s/he recalls a project, the correct program is selected that seems like a decent place for a forced delay of some sort (send the PC, wait Nms, play sequence).

    If s/he wants to send a PC at the top of each sequence so that as the sequence changes a new patch is selected on the target instrument, I don't see how Quantum can possibly account for the completely variable lag across different synths. Sending the PC before the step's note on seems the most friendly way to do it but is likely still problematic in practice.

  • Here is a Quantum example bank to try using dedicated steps (with a really fast play speed) to affect a program change twice in a sequence.

    As you say @AndyPlankton it requires adjustment for particular synths, but it does give interesting results.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu0dkexy0e86t5n/PchgSeq.qrk?dl=0

  • @SpookyZoo said:
    Put the PC on the last step of the previous bar/ have a count in bar?

    Can't be that easy I guess.

    In a timeline you can do this, and if you are playing your sequences sequentially in the same order all the time you can do it in a step sequencer....but when you do not know which sequence will be played immediately before you want the PC you do not know which pattern to put the PC on...

  • @AndyPlankton said:

    @SpookyZoo said:
    Put the PC on the last step of the previous bar/ have a count in bar?

    Can't be that easy I guess.

    In a timeline you can do this, and if you are playing your sequences sequentially in the same order all the time you can do it in a step sequencer....but when you do not know which sequence will be played immediately before you want the PC you do not know which pattern to put the PC on...

    Good example. Knew it wouldn't be that simple! :)

    @midiSequencer Just in case this is helpful I posted this on another thread. Haven't had too much time to test it further. Was checking this at 02:45 am. :tired_face:

    @SpookyZoo said:

    @nw1 said:
    does anyone know of a way to send program changes from a sequencer type app, or must this be done from a DAW or manually with a controller?

    @syrupcore said:

    Cool. Think I just read it wrong, sorry. Sounds incredibly similar to the problem Tony just posted re: Quantum and PCs. :)

    Just remembered that I had seen this functionality in B-Step Pro...

    Does produce some 'clicking' though.

  • @SpookyZoo said:

    @AndyPlankton said:

    @SpookyZoo said:
    Put the PC on the last step of the previous bar/ have a count in bar?

    Can't be that easy I guess.

    In a timeline you can do this, and if you are playing your sequences sequentially in the same order all the time you can do it in a step sequencer....but when you do not know which sequence will be played immediately before you want the PC you do not know which pattern to put the PC on...

    Good example. Knew it wouldn't be that simple! :)

    @midiSequencer Just in case this is helpful I posted this on another thread. Haven't had too much time to test it further. Was checking this at 02:45 am. :tired_face:

    @SpookyZoo said:

    @nw1 said:
    does anyone know of a way to send program changes from a sequencer type app, or must this be done from a DAW or manually with a controller?

    @syrupcore said:

    Cool. Think I just read it wrong, sorry. Sounds incredibly similar to the problem Tony just posted re: Quantum and PCs. :)

    Just remembered that I had seen this functionality in B-Step Pro...

    Does produce some 'clicking' though.

    clicking is unavoidable it seems

Sign In or Register to comment.