Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auxy Future Plans.

124»

Comments

• If this was $5 month for just access to the sound library, it would be brilliant. Hiding features behind this monthly fee though means my favorite app keeps getting further and further away from what I liked about it in th fist place. :(

• @Tarekith said:
    If this was $5 month for just access to the sound library, it would be brilliant. Hiding features behind this monthly fee though means my favorite app keeps getting further and further away from what I liked about it in th fist place. :(

>

Well said. I was really hoping Auxy would develop in an exciting and accessible way. I’d have been happy to buy IAP’s. But renting software, no thanks.

• edited January 2018

Ungh, this is so annoying.

They took away some of the best drum kits, now you have to build them one sample a time. There’s no way to save the kits then, so you have to do it over and over or copy it from another project. You can’t try out different drum kits on a pattern anymore, you need to copy the pattern, rebuild another drum kit, then try it. Repeat. There’s less controls for the drums now too.

Now instead of restoring previous purchases to get my packs back, I have to manually download each and every sound from all of them one at a time. I think I’m still bitter they removed the transitions functionality awhile back, which was one of THE most brilliant features in any music making app as far as I was concerned.

Thank god for Groovebox.

• @Tarekith said:

They took away some of the best drum kits, now you have to build them one sample a time. There’s no way to save the kits then, so you have to do it over and over or copy it from another project. You can’t try out different drum kits on a pattern anymore, you need to copy the pattern, rebuild another drum kit, then try it. Repeat. There’s less controls for the drums now too.

Now instead of restoring previous purchases to get my packs back, I have to manually download each and every sound from all of them one at a time. I think I’m still bitter they removed the transitions functionality awhile back, which was one of THE most brilliant features in any music making app as far as I was concerned.

Thank god for Groovebox.

That’s been the problem with Auxy since day one: they add a new thing, but take two away.

• @MonzoPro said:
    That’s been the problem with Auxy since day one: they add a new thing, but take two away.

>

And inspired perhaps by Apple, try to get more cash for less.

• I only keep Auxy on my devices to follow the shenanigans now. It's like a social engineering experiment at this point. Got to hand it to them, though— they have a dogged determination to find the model that fits their compensatory expectations.

• @Tarekith said:

Thank god for Groovebox.

Have to be honest and say I was waiting to get your feedback as a 'pro' (in both senses) Auxy user....I was optimistic about developments. Should have known better perhaps...

• Auxy is no longer installed on my iPad and the way It's heading it'll likely never be re-installed ever again...

• I don't think it's a bad app, clearly a lot of people on their forums are very happy with it. It's just going in a direction that doesn't suit my own workflow I guess. Oh well, not really a big deal for me.

• Yeah the update makes the app feel fiddly and bloated, the exact opposite of what it aims for. And what @Tarekith mentioned regarding the tedium of editing Drums now is by far the worst

• @Tarekith said:
    Oh well, not really a big deal for me.

>

This is a good point, which the Auxy two have failed to recognise.

When an app is ‘improved’ in ways that make it less fun, less able and more expensive, it is doomed to be dropped by anyone with a more than passing interest in music making.

Such a pity, when the basis of greatness was there.

• @Samu said:
    Auxy is no longer installed on my iPad and the way It's heading it'll likely never be re-installed ever again...

It’ll be off mine again very shortly.

• edited January 2018

What’s also astounding is that after all the bullshit about “expanding the sound library”, the two new instrument packs (not the drums) are all synths and half of them sound like they just tweaked sounds from previous packs a little bit, got some DJ to put his name on it and called it a day. There’s literally one good one, it’s called Tonsil and it’s one of the coolest vocal type synths I’ve ever heard. But that’s small potatoes. So you get 20 half assed recycled sounding synths and THREE THOUSAND DRUM SAMPLES. it’s really just kind of a weird move when you think about it.

• @db909 said:
    What’s also astounding is that after all the bullshit about “expanding the sound library”, the two new instrument packs (not the drums) are all synths and half of them sound like they just tweaked sounds from previous packs a little bit, got some DJ to put his name on it and called it a day. There’s literally one good one, it’s called Tonsil and it’s one of the coolest vocal type synths I’ve ever heard. But that’s small potatoes. So you get 20 half assed recycled sounding synths and THREE THOUSAND DRUM SAMPLES. it’s really just kind of a weird move when you think about it.

OK. Have to bite. Where/what pack is this 'Tonsil' in?

• edited January 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear I think it’s in “Destiny” one of the two new premium packs which you should have if you did the free trial.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Tarekith said:

Thank god for Groovebox.

This!

• @db909 said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear I think it’s in “Destiny” one of the two new premium packs which you should have if you did the free trial.

Thanks skipper.

• edited January 2018

So I’m trying this free trial, and what I like is how everything syncs perfectly. My first test project synced up to iCloud, and I could access it instantly on my iPhone. Even my custom sample, once loaded into iCloud, syncs up on all devices. Does it suck that Auxy is hiding custom sample import behind the subscription paywall? Well duh! However, the subscription also includes a cloud preloaded with a ton of content (including drums from Black Octopus!), and a lack of subscription doesn’t prevent me from saving projects. It’s not entirely draconian mind, and it simply means one less latte at Starbucks per month. Not a big loss.

Anyways, I wrote Auxy a nice, polite email to let them know they need to allow user sample import in melody tracks too. A simple sampler like Beathawk’s would make a huge world of difference. Once I hear back from them, the next email will be suggestions of places to license more samples from.

I mean, I’m usually an opponent of subscription software/apps, but Auxy seems to be approaching this the right way (mostly). If they want my $4.99/month starting next week, they better respond quickly and promise me custom sample import for melody tracks. ;) I’ll be paying part of their salary per month after all, right?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    So I’m trying this free trial, and what I like is how everything syncs perfectly. My first test project synced up to iCloud, and I could access it instantly on my iPhone. Even my custom sample, once loaded into iCloud, syncs up on all devices. Does it suck that Auxy is hiding custom sample import behind the subscription paywall? Well duh! However, the subscription also includes a cloud preloaded with a ton of content (including drums from Black Octopus!), and a lack of subscription doesn’t prevent me from saving projects. It’s not entirely draconian mind, and it simply means one less latte at Starbucks per month. Not a big loss.

Anyways, I wrote Auxy a nice, polite email to let them know they need to allow user sample import in melody tracks too. A simple sampler like Beathawk’s would make a huge world of difference. Once I hear back from them, the next email will be suggestions of places to license more samples from.

I mean, I’m usually an opponent of subscription software/apps, but Auxy seems to be approaching this the right way (mostly). If they want my $4.99/month starting next week, they better respond quickly and promise me custom sample import for melody tracks. ;) I’ll be paying part of their salary per month after all, right?

For all of the, at times, incendiary chatter, I admire them for trying to figure out a way to make things work (for them). I think concurrent with The Plan it will be interesting if they modify the 'service/deliverables/user experience' (whatever the hell we call it). I can see that if there are new things (samples and functions) rolled out on a pretty steady basis then folks (both inside and outside The Plan) will get/see a feeling about it. If it seems to be exactly the same as buying it one off and then no difference, then they will have missed their chance. I can see wanting to be in the Club, but there has to be a sense of value once you're in it. Hopefully this is an approach or criteria they will have already thrashed out. And will deliver. We'll see.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

For all of the, at times, incendiary chatter, I admire them for trying to figure out a way to make things work (for them). I think concurrent with The Plan it will be interesting if they modify the 'service/deliverables/user experience' (whatever the hell we call it). I can see that if there are new things (samples and functions) rolled out on a pretty steady basis then folks (both inside and outside The Plan) will get/see a feeling about it. If it seems to be exactly the same as buying it one off and then no difference, then they will have missed their chance. I can see wanting to be in the Club, but there has to be a sense of value once you're in it. Hopefully this is an approach or criteria they will have already thrashed out. And will deliver. We'll see.

Exactly! Rolling out new content on the steady will keep me subscribed far longer. Not much new content (like one pack every six months), then Auxy and I would have some issues plain and simple.

So far I’m loving it. Goes nicely with my EDM side.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mfi80gldexqjo7/This is what Auxy can do.m4a

Just need more timbres including “real” instruments, and then we’re talkin! :sunglasses:

• @jwmmakerofmusic I think I saw Lenberg mention on the Auxy forums that they did indeed want to add melodic samples, just not quite there yet.

• @db909 said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic I think I saw Lenberg mention on the Auxy forums that they did indeed want to add melodic samples, just not quite there yet.

Sweet! :smiley: Thanks for the heads-up mate.

• edited January 2018

Okay, so I read the Auxy 5 announcement article. New sounds will be added monthly, making the subscription already worth it in my book. Auxy have always been on top of their game with near instant bug fixes if their version history is anything to go by. They’ve already been providing the level of service without payment that most other subscription app companies promise to deliver but never do.

I also saw that any pack you purchased prior to the subscription pricing will be grandfathered in (no need for a subscription to access what you’ already purchased) as well as the trial period being extended based on how many packs you purchased prior to the subscription. Seems like Auxy cares well enough for their loyal users. As I said, this is a subscription handled correctly.

• The grandfathering is hit or miss right now, which is one of my issues with it. You need to recreate a lot of drum kits from scatch everytime you want them, and there's a lot less control over the sound and automation of the kit now too.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    As I said, this is a subscription handled correctly.

>

But it is still subscription. The principle doesn’t work for me with software.

It ruined Photoshop and MS Office. If we support subscription on IOS, then one day we’ll be ‘renting’ everything. I’d much rather pay a fair one-off price, own that copy and buy additional features via IAP.

The only subscription model I’ve seen that appeals, is Readly for digital magazines. Saves me going to the shops, let’s me get a lot more for my money, and at no point do I find I no longer have access to my own stuff! *

• Something that can, potentially, happen with music made through Intermorphics remaining product. Let’s remember, that was a company who sold us barely different versions at full price, then abandoned them.
  • My Future Plan With Auxy: Deleted!

• On the other hand, I do appreciate the opportunity to check out all of the sample packs. It has let me know that Auxy is really not for me. However, it does seem pretty great for making EDM (not that there's anything wrong with that)

• edited January 2018

I’m just gonna grab all the Auxy samples I can during my free trial and throw them into Grooverider where making music is fun.

Speaking of which: here are the synth instruments from the new Destiny pack, sampled at a C note in reasonable octaves, sustained for 7 bars, no reverb or filtering so you can do that yourself, and normalized.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1id5peeppl18vu/Destiny.zip?dl=0