I WAS WRONG! │ KLEVGR Brusfri Noise Reduction AUv3 for iPad and iPhone - haQ attaQ 248

edited October 12 in General

EDIT AND CORRECTION 171012 - IMPORTANT - The video I published yesterday featuring Brusfri by KLEVGR contained footage of me using this audio unit extension Noise Reduction plugin incorrectly. I have corrected my mistake here's a re-edited version of that video including new footage and information. I HAVE NOW SWAPPED OUT THE OLD VIDEO WITH THE NEW ONE IN THIS POST

The guys from Klevgränd Produktion have done it again! Brusfri is a Noise Reduction Audio Unit Extension plugin for iPhone and iPad and will not run in stand alone mode. The plug will load into any host that supports AUv3 like Cubasis, AUM, MODSTEP and Audiobus 3. By the way, Brusfri is Swedish and literally means "Noise Free". Operating Brusfri Noise Reducer is as straight forward as it can get. check out this Review and Demo to find out more!

haQattaQ

https://youtu.be/ZlcXtZLGSxo

Comments

  • Quality review ,

  • @jakoB_haQ said:
    The guys from Klevgränd Produktion have done it again! Brusfri is a Noise Reduction Audio Unit Extension plugin for iPhone and iPad and will not run in stand alone mode. The plug will load into any host that supports AUv3 like Cubasis, AUM, MODSTEP and Audiobus 3. By the way, Brusfri is Swedish and literally means "Noise Free". Operating Brusfri Noise Reducer is as straight forward as it can get. check out this Review and Demo to find out more!

    haQattaQ

    https://youtu.be/v49idFL0Wwk

    Great demo, I knew you’d love this one

  • Good review. I've been using the universal app Denoise, which I like but it isn't AUv3. And, I've noticed wind noise hitting the mic is a big challenge.

    I think most of the time there's not much you can do for wind noise hitting the mic. Have you tried to remove this kind of noise or at least reduce it? Denoise works well for background noise too, but BRUSFRI appears to have a bit finer control.

  • @Jumpercollins said:
    Quality review ,

    Thank you! :)

  • @thesoundtestroom said:

    @jakoB_haQ said:
    The guys from Klevgränd Produktion have done it again! Brusfri is a Noise Reduction Audio Unit Extension plugin for iPhone and iPad and will not run in stand alone mode. The plug will load into any host that supports AUv3 like Cubasis, AUM, MODSTEP and Audiobus 3. By the way, Brusfri is Swedish and literally means "Noise Free". Operating Brusfri Noise Reducer is as straight forward as it can get. check out this Review and Demo to find out more!

    haQattaQ

    https://youtu.be/v49idFL0Wwk

    Great demo, I knew you’d love this one

    Thanks Doug! Ditto on your vid! Think our videos complement each other quite well.

  • edited October 11

    @skiphunt said:
    Good review. I've been using the universal app Denoise, which I like but it isn't AUv3. And, I've noticed wind noise hitting the mic is a big challenge.

    I think most of the time there's not much you can do for wind noise hitting the mic. Have you tried to remove this kind of noise or at least reduce it? Denoise works well for background noise too, but BRUSFRI appears to have a bit finer control.

    I saw an interview with a reporter many years ago where he received a similar question about wind noise. He replied something like "don't stand in the wind, and if you have to, just talk really loud". :lol:

    Jokes aside, I usually try to shield myself from the wind as much as I can and whenever I've done field recordings with regular mics, I've made sure to carry a few extra wool socks with me.

    I've used quite a few de-noiseing applications over the years and it's hard to remove wind noises. Sure it's easy enough to filter of the lower frequencies around up to 100hz, but after that the vocals start sounding really flat.

    Either way I think Brusfri does a great job. In this video there is one spot where the wind noise kills it totally, like a bass burst. After editing this video I went back to the project and turn the HPF filter all the way up and experimentedwith the threshold and attack a bit. It did remove a lot of that bass burst without flattening my vocals completely.

    KLEVGR sure did a great job on it. They explain the inner workings like this:

    Unlike many other noise reducers on the market, Brusfri doesn’t mess with audio phasing to suppress noise (a technique that often comes with audible side effects). Instead, multiple fine-tuned gates are used to silence unwanted noise. -KLEVRG

  • Brusfri is just what I needed. My ears are super sensitive to un-intentional noise such as that coming from the iRig Mic HD at 'full gain', it just gets rid of it :)

  • IMPORTANT - The video I published yesterday featuring Brusfri by KLEVGR contained footage of me using this audio unit extension Noise Reduction plugin incorrectly. I have corrected my mistake here's a re-edited version of that video including new footage and information.

    **The original post has been updated with the new video too!
    **

    haQattaQ

    https://youtu.be/ZlcXtZLGSxo

  • Good on ya (Aussie version of me) for re-shooting for clarity.

    Similar tech to some noise cancelling stuff I was working on back in the day (20+ years ago) but now in a one button "sample it and use it" effect. Impressively useful.

  • Looks very helpful for removing background subway train hum. But $7.99 — at a half-off introductory price! Is it really that magical?

  • @ExAsperis99 said:
    Looks very helpful for removing background subway train hum. But $7.99 — at a half-off introductory price! Is it really that magical?

    My reasoning was “What else am I going to use that will kill any unwanted noise on iOS as effectively?”, I came up with the answer of nothing.

    I got it for current and future utility, I think this is great for cleaning up field recordings and the various bits of sampled material.

    Don’t get me wrong, I initially baulked at the cost but I think it will be an essential part of my “tool box”.

  • @TheVimFuego said:

    @ExAsperis99 said:
    Looks very helpful for removing background subway train hum. But $7.99 — at a half-off introductory price! Is it really that magical?

    My reasoning was “What else am I going to use that will kill any unwanted noise on iOS as effectively?”, I came up with the answer of nothing.

    Well, you can certainly do this in a quality EQ, like Fabfilter Pro Q, or even on the lighter side ZMors EQ, which is an AU. You could find the offending frequency and dial in a notch filter. But yeah, that's time-consuming and requires a certain degree of skill and patience. And isn't always ideal.

    I would MUCH rather just put my finger on a button and be done with it!

    I have a couple of questions, though. This kind of noise reduction is a little like cancer treatment. You're killing the noise cancer, but are you using the highly precise radiotherapy that zaps out the exact spot? Or is there collateral damage? I grew up in the 70s, and there was nothing more fun-killing than a cassette that accidentally had the Dolby on....

    Also! Can the app be automated? If it only works while you're pushing the button, I'd assume it would.

  • I would rather have it where I’d push the ear button and it will analyze the whole track, then one can preview it. But then again I guess analysis of a section is kind of less time consuming.

  • @ExAsperis99 said:
    This kind of noise reduction is a little like cancer treatment.

    >

    I feel sure you meant no offence, but as someone who nursed both parents through terminal cancer, the casual use of this analogy is something I can do without.

  • @TheVimFuego said:

    @ExAsperis99 said:
    Looks very helpful for removing background subway train hum. But $7.99 — at a half-off introductory price! Is it really that magical?

    My reasoning was “What else am I going to use that will kill any unwanted noise on iOS as effectively?”, I came up with the answer of nothing.

    I got it for current and future utility, I think this is great for cleaning up field recordings and the various bits of sampled material.

    Don’t get me wrong, I initially baulked at the cost but I think it will be an essential part of my “tool box”.

    We are of one mind. I know, I feel unclean now as well....

Sign In or Register to comment.