Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is IOS capable of professional producer projects yet? What's the State of iOS Music Production?

Comments

• @brambos said:
    As richardyot also said, if you intend to keep the exact same workflow on iOS that you also have on Windows you'll be frustrated and disappointed. However, iOS is the perfect platform if you are fed up with your current way of working and want to rethink your music making habits from scratch. The tools are there, but they'll force you to think different(tm).

This. People have made professional tracks on iOS for years. Professional as in having albums on iTunes etc, rather then SoundCloud.

• I only listen to music if I approve of the computer specs, DAW, and workflow used to make it. The actual musical content doesn't matter. (But bonus points for another dubstep track. If anyone has a link to how to make a wobble bass please post it, I'm desperate to learn!)

I do know that no self respecting professional world dare produce a song that used less than 50 tracks and they MUST be compressed. It's especially important to compress sampled kick drums, I mean after searching an 8tb library of kick samples it stands to reason that none would be suitable. Make sure you do parallel compression if you REALLY want to be pro though.

• @AudioGus said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    But Sgt Pepper was done on 4 track machines, doesn't seem to have stopped it piling up the money over the years.

Can't argue that logic. Here I have been wasting my time with the latest apps and VSTs when what I really need are piano lessons and a time machine.

Good songs, George Martin and Abbey Road engineers help too. ;)

• Is IOS capable of professional producer projects yet? What's the State of iOS Music Production?

Of course.

@Aoseifuku said:
    I run FL Studio and Cubase.
    PC Specs, i7 4790, 16GB RAM, SSD.
    My projects get to 90% CPU and use up all my RAM about.
    I usually run a project something like this:
    Cubase 100 disabled tracks (uses no CPU / RAM untill Enabled)
    40 tracks Enabled, 20x Kontakt samples, 10 Synthesizers, 10 Sample Synthesizers
    Routed to
    50 mixer tracks
    on all 50 mixer tracks, I have, EQ,Compress,
    then I route them to a Reverb/Delay bus,
    I have 4 ampsim instances of Bias usually running or more. I mix with this setup then create a new project for mastering.

Now my question is the iPad Pro powerful enough yet to create projects like this?

No.

• The OP's question indicates a lack of insight into the computational processing power of the desktop system that's maxed out versus what an iPad Pro can do. No you can't reproduce that workflow on an iPad Pro.

Personally, the idea of working with 50-100 tracks seems way too much like some sort of corporate accountant job description to ever appeal to me.

• I do audio production and engineering for a living using mostly the iPad Pro (Auria Pro plus a few essential apps), so yes, @Aoseifuku, iOS can be used in professional workflows. But-ut-ut... You seem to have very specific needs, and to address those you need a powerful computer (which the iPad Pro is since its first gen, since it roughly compares to 2011's top end MacBook Pro) and also a flexible OS, which iOS is definitely not. For now, keep PC-centric, but I advise you to start experiencing with iOS devices as integrated peripherals to your workflow.

• I would imagine that very few pieces of music out there really ever need more than 24 tracks, maybe the arrangement would be a better place to look at if you find yourself in that situation often. Obviously a full orchestra recording or very intricate sound design with many layers can stack up the track count but you probably won't want to be using an iOS device for these purposes just yet

• edited October 2017

@mrufino1 said:
    I do know that no self respecting professional world dare produce a song that used less than 50 tracks and they MUST be compressed.

>

This is a great example of something that is so wrong with the ‘professional’ side of music today.

Firstly, if we look at what The Beatles produced with 8 tracks, someone really good with access to all the tech and 50+ tracks today should, theoretically, have the potential to make music much better than The Beatles. But this is not the case. Very little produced as you describe above can hold a candle to what George Martin achieved at Abbey Road.

Most modern music is, IMHO, unimaginative entirely formulaic trash. Compression, when used sparingly, can be good, but as we all know that is not what happens. Compression is used by ‘professionals’ in the Loudness Wars. Result; no natural light and shade within the song, just relentless, usually very boring noise. Nothing songs aimed at the media brainwashed morons who think the degenerate, overly sexualised excuse for songcraft is music.

For example, Hip Hop began as social commentary riding on great rhythms, people who really had something to say, and were highlighting issues while still being positive about life. Today, it’s mostly people who can’t sing spitting venom about their bitches, drug taking, money, promiscuous sex, and extreme violence. Anti-life. Similarly, while pop and rock music always made use of how attractive a singer or band was, it was in a classy way. Think Elvis, Ronnie Spector or Donna Summer. Today, with few exceptions, we have something entirely different. A ‘norm’ in which truly graphic lyrics are being foisted upon the very young by crude people who show all the hallmarks of mental illness. This, apparently, is the acceptable face of ‘professional’ music.

• edited October 2017

@mrufino1 said:
    I only listen to music if I approve of the computer specs, DAW, and workflow used to make it. The actual musical content doesn't matter. (But bonus points for another dubstep track. If anyone has a link to how to make a wobble bass please post it, I'm desperate to learn!)

I do know that no self respecting professional world dare produce a song that used less than 50 tracks and they MUST be compressed. It's especially important to compress sampled kick drums, I mean after searching an 8tb library of kick samples it stands to reason that none would be suitable. Make sure you do parallel compression if you REALLY want to be pro though.

You just won the thread

• @jn2002dk said:

@mrufino1 said:
    I only listen to music if I approve of the computer specs, DAW, and workflow used to make it. The actual musical content doesn't matter. (But bonus points for another dubstep track. If anyone has a link to how to make a wobble bass please post it, I'm desperate to learn!)

You just won the thread

Indeed. All hail.

• edited October 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:
    I do know that no self respecting professional world dare produce a song that used less than 50 tracks and they MUST be compressed.

>

This is a great example of something that is so wrong with the ‘professional’ side of music today.

Firstly, if we look at what The Beatles produced with 8 tracks, someone really good with access to all the tech and 50+ tracks today should, theoretically, have the potential to make music much better than The Beatles. But this is not the case. Very little produced as you describe above can hold a candle to what George Martin achieved at Abbey Road.

Most modern music is, IMHO, unimaginative entirely formulaic trash. Compression, when used sparingly, can be good, but as we all know that is not what happens. Compression is used by ‘professionals’ in the Loudness Wars. Result; no natural light and shade within the song, just relentless, usually very boring noise. Nothing songs aimed at the media brainwashed morons who think the degenerate, overly sexualised excuse for songcraft is music.

For example, Hip Hop began as social commentary riding on great rhythms, people who really had something to say, and were highlighting issues while still being positive about life. Today, it’s mostly people who can’t sing spitting venom about their bitches, drug taking, money, promiscuous sex, and extreme violence. Anti-life. Similarly, while pop and rock music always made use of how attractive a singer or band was, it was in a classy way. Think Elvis, Ronnie Spector or Donna Summer. Today, with few exceptions, we have something entirely different. A ‘norm’ in which truly graphic lyrics are being foisted upon the very young by crude people who show all the hallmarks of mental illness. This, apparently, is the acceptable face of ‘professional’ music.

You do realize I was being sarcastic, right?

Kind of funny that you bring up Elvis and Donna Summer as classy as that is most definitely was not being said about them when they first hit. Ever heard "I Feel Love?" You know, the one where she has an orgasm during the song? ;)

• edited October 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:

>

>

I can only imagine what the kids of today will think of the new crap crap in fifty years.

My inlaws actually hate the Beatles, calling it noise and yelling.

• Depends upon the producer.
    Depends upon the project.

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Depends upon the producer.
    Depends upon the project.

Yah. But it is much more fun when people simply project their subjective opinions in black and white. :smiley:

• @mrufino1 said:

@Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:

>

Kind of funny that you bring up Elvis and Donna Summer as classy as that is most definitely was not being said about them when they first hit. Ever heard "I Feel Love?" You know, the one where she has an orgasm during the song? ;)

Hehe, Elvis was so vulgar they initially had to shoot him from the waist up. Now they shake booty, whatever, looks hawt.

• edited October 2017

@mrufino1 said:

>

Sure, but your meaning also served to illustrate a point. There are those who insist using every bell and whistle is the way to go, and they are failing.

As for ‘I Feel Love’ yes, I was a young man at the time. The song was sexual, but Summer was always classy. If we compare her to the equivalent today; Rhianna, Minaj, etc, there is a world of difference between acting the part to promote a song, and actually being someone who promotes low life.

• @AudioGus said
    Hehe, Elvis was so vulgar they initially had to shoot him from the waist up. Now they shake booty, whatever, looks hawt.

>

Compare the pelvis wiggling of Elvis to Michael Jackson continually grabbing his balls, or umpteen rap acts treating women as less than human.

• edited October 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@AudioGus said

>

Compare the pelvis wiggling of Elvis to Michael Jackson continually grabbing his balls, or umpteen rap acts treating women as less than human.

I don't see rappers grinding women into sausage. Err...

• @Zen210507 said:

@AudioGus said

>

Compare the pelvis wiggling of Elvis to Michael Jackson continually grabbing his balls,

Isn't that just an evolution of the same thing?

• @Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:

>

Sure, but your meaning also served to illustrate a point. There are those who insist using every bell and whistle is the way to go, and they are failing.

As for ‘I Feel Love’ yes, I was a young man at the time. The song was sexual, but Summer was always classy. If we compare her to the equivalent today; Rhianna, Minaj, etc, there is a world of difference between acting the part to promote a song, and actually being someone who promotes low life.

Well, except for her whole homophobia and AIDS as divine retribution for wickedness notions, of course...

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Well, except for her whole homophobia and AIDS as divine retribution for wickedness notions, of course...

>

Let’s not confuse her strange belief, informed by fundamentalism, with how she conducted herself as a recording artist at her peak.

• @AudioGus said:

No, sir. I believe it to be degeneration. A pelvis wiggle, as Elvis did it, is merely suggestive.

• @AudioGus said:
    I don't see rappers grinding women into sausage. Err...

>

Oh, you know what I mean.

• I don't know if the OP was just trolling as we haven't heard back yet, but this was an interesting discussion. I would love to see it get back on topic.

• @Zen210507 said:

@JeffChasteen said:

>

Let’s not confuse her strange belief, informed by fundamentalism, with how she conducted herself as a recording artist at her peak.

Very true. She never wore metallic accessories during the daytime nor white after Labor Day while simulating orgasm.
    :)

• edited October 2017

I do have too many options on PC, that's why I want to go to IOS actually, I was just curious how limited it is here. I like my setup, but I get bored sometimes, but I'm not sure IOS is for me either (yet) it sure does look like the coolest device I've seen here.

@gusgranite It cost me 900$ to build, including monitor etc 3 years ago

Cubase 500$, Kontakt 500$, VST's probably somewhere around 900$ (omnisphere etc) Plugins waves value packs, reverbs delays spent probably 400$ total.

@AudioGus

Actually, the new "underpowered processor" that is used in current Surface Pro's, just got updated to 4 cores / 8 hyperthreading (the same as HQ processors), and is being released in 14" tablets, It has 20% less CPU performance than my current setup, but a much lower clock speed, so it may bottleneck or throttle, I'm waiting for reviews, but ios seems much funner then a tablet laptop lol

sorry I only read the first page so far, didn't expect so many replys.

• @Zen210507 said:

@AudioGus said:

No, sir. I believe it to be degeneration. A pelvis wiggle, as Elvis did it, is merely suggestive.

Was the wiggle merely suggestive back then ? I think this is really down to general de-sensitisation....the same 'degeneration' in morals can be seen almost everywhere...

• @Aoseifuku said:
    I do have too many options on PC, that's why I want to go to IOS actually, I was just curious how limited it is here. I like my setup, but I get bored sometimes, but I'm not sure IOS is for me either (yet) it sure does look like the coolest device I've seen here.

@gusgranite It cost me 900$ to build, including monitor etc 3 years ago

Cubase 500$, Kontakt 500$, VST's probably somewhere around 900$ (omnisphere etc) Plugins waves value packs, reverbs delays spent probably 400$ total.

@AudioGus

Actually, the new "underpowered processor" that is used in current Surface Pro's, just got updated to 4 cores / 8 hyperthreading (the same as HQ processors), and is being released in 14" tablets, It has 20% less CPU performance than my current setup, but a much lower clock speed, so it may bottleneck or throttle, I'm waiting for reviews, but ios seems much funner then a tablet laptop lol

sorry I only read the first page so far, didn't expect so many replys.

If you have an iPhone already.....get the freemium Groovebox and blocs wave apps from Ampify (there are many apps you could choose, I suggest these as they are free (with IAPS available to expand them) and run on iPhone as well as iPad, and you can do an awful lot with them as a tryout)..run them together using ableton link and get a small flavour for how well things can and do work on iOS......
    You will not get the same 'plugged in and ready to go' setup you are used to, but once you start seeing what is possible...you may just leave that alone for fresh ideas coming from fresh tools...to be later produced using your existing rig.

• About the 50 project count, and 100 project count.

Horns
    >

Strings
    >
    1. 1st Violins
    2. 2nd Violins
    3. Viola
    4. Cello
    5. Synth strings Lo
    6. Synth Strings Hi
    7.String Bus (all strings routed here)
    8. Reverb (string bus routed here)
    9. Delay (string bus routed here)

that's about 10 tracks already, it's not each instrument playing their own thing, you EQ and combine the synth strings with the other strings to create your own pad sound

Same with Bass
    1. Bass
    2. Bass lo
    3. Bass HI
    4. Bass bus
    4 tracks to create bass, unless you just use a preset (which nothing is wrong with) but I usually combine patches, or synthesizers, with FX, to create my own sounds in the song.

I truly believe though that tablet device is the next thing though. Desktop sales have been down forever, Laptops are okayish, but windows is full of tablet/laptops now. Ios is still the best experince compared to windows from what I've seen, apple has doubled the CPU power or something with the last A11 update, I have no idea how they compare to intel, but being that intels new i8 underpowered processor, which will be in the next surface pro is just about as powerful as my desktop processor, I thought IOS would be pretty close as well here.