Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is IOS capable of professional producer projects yet? What's the State of iOS Music Production?

Comments

• edited October 2017

But Sgt Pepper was done on 4 track machines, doesn't seem to have stopped it piling up the money over the years

• edited October 2017

@BiancaNeve said:
    But Sgt Pepper was done on 4 track machines, doesn't seem to have stopped it piling up the money over the years.

Can't argue that logic. Here I have been wasting my time with the latest apps and VSTs when what I really need are piano lessons and a time machine.

• All I'm saying is you can bounce down the sounds of all those great apps and vsts and a patient and talented producer doesn't need 100s of tracks to work their magic.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    All I'm saying is you can bounce down the sounds of all those great apps and vsts and a patient and talented producer doesn't need 100s of tracks to work their magic.

Some still dabble in the ways of the 'ancients'.

• My perspective is probably upside down because my very first experience with digital music making, composition and playing instruments, was on iPad 1, which led me to PC resources, as well as other mobile but downgraded/deprecated platforms like Palm and Windows CE...

What I found in that process is that apps in iOS only just passed up stuff available on Palm and Windows CE, and that workstations and instruments do way way more than any available in mobile. And so I use both for what they do best

• edited October 2017

@BiancaNeve said:
    All I'm saying is you can bounce down the sounds of all those great apps and vsts and a patient and talented producer doesn't need 100s of tracks to work their magic.

Absolutely. I think the thing with these kinds of conversations though is that people simply don't define the term professional. To me professional simply means commercially competitive. If I went into a studio and was paying good money for a producer to do his job and he was wasting my money being patient and bouncing everything down to a four track I certainly wouldn't be going back to that studio. If however I had just stepped through Austin Powers time machine to the 1960s then yes I would be a little more understanding of course.

• You can do a project like you describe but you would have to bounce tracks down to save CPU. The appeal of iPad vs desktop is in the multiple cheap apps. Workflow may not be as smooth but tools you have to make music will be different, and portability of course

• How many albums have you sold OP?

• @jn2002dk said:
    How many albums have you sold OP?

yes OP, lower your expectations like the rest of us.

• @AudioGus said:

@jn2002dk said:

Yea, that's exactly what i said...

• @jn2002dk said:

@AudioGus said:

@jn2002dk said:

Best to just give up all together.

• edited October 2017

@AudioGus said:

@jn2002dk said:

@AudioGus said:

@jn2002dk said:

Or i'll just ignore your weak attempt at trolling. Let's go with that

• If you just look at the proc speed and memory differences, while considering how taxed your desktop is by your current workflow, I think you would have your answer.

• @jn2002dk said:

@AudioGus said:

@jn2002dk said:

@AudioGus said:

@jn2002dk said:

Or i'll just ignore your weak attempt at trolling. Let's go with that

I concede that your initial troll of the OP was much stronger. :) Btw, i know several people who have made a sucessful living as composer/producers for the past 20+ years and never sold an album.

• @AudioGus said:

Resistance is futile.

• Making music on an ios device is different from making music on a desktop, just like how making music on a desktop is different from a workstation keyboard.

Professionalism has nothing to do with a platform.

• Making music on an ios device is different from making music on a desktop, just like how making music on a desktop is different from a workstation keyboard.

Professionalism has nothing to do with a platform.

• edited October 2017

Look Ma, I'm in NASCAR...

• Perfect!

• https://soundcloud.com/bristolmanor

Such things are professional enough for me.

• Not reading the whole thread... (it might be great...I don’t know but it’s been discussed to dead since the iPad came out in 2010... I’m so tired of this...

There’s like actually famous (maybe even important?) musicians/ producers that have use only iOS devices (or almost or a lot of them or even a just a few) to produce great albums.

...And you guys are still debating this?... OMG!

• What @Hex047 said....

• Of course

iOS has pro tools

In the hands of people who understand what it takes to create fully mastered songs, ios is just a tool

It had been pro level for years

It’s a hobby for most, but pro for some

• @AudioGus said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Absolutely. I think the thing with these kinds of conversations though is that people simply don't define the term professional. To me professional simply means commercially competitive. If I went into a studio and was paying good money for a producer to do his job and he was wasting my money being patient and bouncing everything down to a four track I certainly wouldn't be going back to that studio. If however I had just stepped through Austin Powers time machine to the 1960s then yes I would be a little more understanding of course.

I like to think the iPad will enable me to create something professional when I am using it for my own creations, and it is not the iPad stopping me from achieving this but my own lack of professionalism.

But still I gotta agree with @AudioGus. If I hired some producer, and upon arriving at their grand recording space found that all they had were some iPads, I would be all WTF?!?!

• @Zen210507 said:

IOS music making is where the innovation and imagination are alive and thriving. The music industry ignores that, because it’s run by accountants who will not take a chance on anything new, unless forced to by declining sales. The industry is all about selling copies of regurgitated, often degenerate, blandness; the musical equivalent to fast food!

True. I only have an Ipad because that's where the cool developers are working. Apple sucks; I'd prefer not to have to buy their stuff at all. I just had to pay them $33 for a cable just so I could plug in a usb device--something that is standard on all other computers. If it weren't for the developers working in this space I would bail so fast.

• iOS is kind of like hardware minus all the cables, tons of fun and experimenting, but you have to think more like the good old days of patching and rendering to 'tape' as compared to a capable desktop system, or use both, then you get the best of, worst of, both worlds.

• Cables and accessories is where they make the real profit ;) >:)

• edited October 2017

Professional means time efficient - get a job done.
    Arrangement is the iPad's weakest point - I've tried each and every candidate and failed.
    But I've delegated the whole recording process to IOS, which is so much more convenient.
    As is pre-producing ideas on the iPad - quick, versatile and creative.
    Just the final arrangement is done on desktop - in a much streamlined workflow thanks to the tablet.

• So a PROfesser fuku, has dropped in today to ask a few questions about where we're are re: music quality on this platform. Great thanks! nite.

• @brambos said:
    As richardyot also said, if you intend to keep the exact same workflow on iOS that you also have on Windows you'll be frustrated and disappointed. However, iOS is the perfect platform if you are fed up with your current way of working and want to rethink your music making habits from scratch. The tools are there, but they'll force you to think different(tm).

damn well said

Quotable even (Snagglepuss voice)