Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Please talk me out of buying a Squarp Pyramid!

Comments

• @midiSequencer - that is great news about the plans for Quantam, I think it is a great app already, and it seems you are committed to it expanding in a big way.
    I'll be following the app with great enthusiasm going forward !
    I'm also keen to see it interact with a Squarp. ;)

• @Mayo said:
    @midiSequencer - that is great news about the plans for Quantam, I think it is a great app already, and it seems you are committed to it expanding in a big way.
    I'll be following the app with great enthusiasm going forward !
    I'm also keen to see it interact with a Squarp. ;)

thx - the last sentence there caught my intention. I'm in the process (well was until I decided to launch) of having a dedicated midi controller panel just for moog m15 app. Looking at the squarp pyramid midi looks like there is room for that too - 64 tracks , mute/unmute etc.
    I couldn't find anything like NRPN though. If you can think of any controls that would be good to automate from my app might be worth throwing a panel up for it?

• edited October 2017

With all the sequencers on iOS, I'm not feeling this. Yeah it does things apps don't do (and apps do things it doesn't do) but nonetheless I'm not feeling the tingle.

• edited October 2017

@dreamrobe : First generation Squarp isn’t the same as 2.0 though. Is the new version downloadable ?

• @echoopera : Who’d want that? A rack version? No thanks..

• @Telstar5 said:
    @echoopera : Who’d want that? A rack version? No thanks..

Hahaha. Just poking you

• edited October 2017

@midiSequencer : Well then, we have our eye on YOU keeping your eye on the Euclidean MATHS algorithms, etc. It’s gonna be really interesting to watch as this develops and you begin to incorporate these generative capabilities into your app. NOW you’ve REALLY sold me! A developer with his ear totally to the ground....Keep on keepin’ on!!!

• @Telstar5 said:
    @midiSequencer : Well then, we have our eye on YOU keeping your eye on the Euclidean MATHS algorithms, etc. It’s gonna be really interesting to watch as this develops and you begin to incorporate these generative capabilities into your app. NOW you’ve REALLY sold me! A developer with his ear totally to the ground....Keep on keepin’ on!!!

:) I'm trying hard not to buy a Squarp myself (and a Schrittmacher/Cirklon/MidiBox Seq/etc) - I created Quantum because they are so expensive and I don't gig. If I did perform on stage they of course make sense (and iPad is just a big phone really!).

I created Brownian (play a step then 50% chance of going forward, 25% chance of going back, 25% chance of staying) & Eitherway (50/50 of forward or back) based on the Cirklon. All easy to add.

I've been a huge fan of east coast sequencing (moog 960 etc) for so long, but only now discovering west-coast buchla generative - so yes expect to see many functions from modulars carried over.

ps. I'd still like to buy a squarp pyramid though..... can't be without shiny toys!

• edited October 2017

I had a Cirklon, Pyramid and other sequencers.
    The cirklon is good for modulating sequences by other sequences.
    The Pyramid is awesome for its midi fx, like rm1x or rs7000, and to be able to use it for black midi.
    The Zaquencer is great because it has no display.

But imho Thesys feels most like an instrument because it allows to play with the sequences in realtime in so many fun ways. I tried to convince Colin to implement more realtime functions into the cirklon but it´s a one man show and the users pretty much have already found their way on how to use it.

Once i am more familiar with the Quatum i hope to be able to contribute some ideas on how to improve the playfulness with a midicontroller.

And sorry to say that i already sold the Pyramid now. Otherwise i would have offered it to you.

• @midiSequencer : I don’t play live as of now, except for drum gigs so thank you.. Yiuve just saved me $700.00 usd and just talked me out of buying a Squarp. I just looked two years into the future, imagined where Quantum would be then , and thought better of it . Hat tip to you, sir. My gratitude knows no bounds. And I mean that in a Euclidean sort of way!

• edited October 2017

@midiSequencer : Of course I can’t tell you how to spend your money,but a great excuse for you to buy it would be ... well.. don’t you wanna ...ehm... know exactly how it works? (Euclidian patterns, Midi fx, Midi harmonizer, polyrhythms etc.).

• edited October 2017

@dreamrobe said:
    The cirklon is good for modulating sequences by other sequences.

that last bit - coming soon to Quantum - at the moment its just using notes, but I want to be able to use a lot more of a sequence parameters to override or modulate another sequence parameter (e.g. longer sequence of velocity steps overriding a shorter note/velocity sequence will create variations in step velocity).

Once i am more familiar with the Quatum i hope to be able to contribute some ideas on how to improve the playfulness with a midicontroller.

I'm opening up Quantum to as much automation as possible - so it already has 35 NRPN commands to modify things like start/end points, looping types etc.

• edited October 2017

@Telstar5 said:
    @midiSequencer : I don’t play live as of now, except for drum gigs so thank you.. Yiuve just saved me $700.00 usd and just talked me out of buying a Squarp. I just looked two years into the future, imagined where Quantum would be then , and thought better of it . Hat tip to you, sir. My gratitude knows no bounds. And I mean that in a Euclidean sort of way!

feel sorta bad now though - I might be denying you some great fun!

• @Telstar5 said:
    @midiSequencer : Of course I can’t tell you how to spend your money,but a great excuse for you to buy it would be ... well.. don’t you wanna ...ehm... know exactly how it works? (Euclidian patterns, Midi fx, Midi harmonizer, polyrhythms etc.).

already doing midifx (although I always just use echo) - but harmonising would be good - especially on the fly with each of my sequences being 4 parts.... polyrhythms are catered for too - sequences change tempo to fill the same timeframe. There is even a timewarp navigator button to do this on one sequence (borrowed from David Vorhaus's MANIAC - as is the split sequence into parts idea).

• @midiSequencer ; It’s ok, I’m in no hurry: Just from the owner’s manual and your responses here I see a logical mind at work. I don’t need the knobs really.. I’ll just learn Quantum and bide my time.. I predict this thing to be all but unrecognizable in two years from its current awesome state.. This is gonna be an app to contend with, even more so than it already is. It may eventually even pass Pyramid, who knows? And thanks for your participation here.

• @midiSequencer : One thing for sure.. You keep exploring these generative concepts and Quantum will surely be the standard bearer for iOS sequencing if it isn’t already.. Just one last thing though. How about a free play- non step mode like on BM3 a d Squarp Pyramid? Or would the app have to be rewritten in that case?

• @Telstar5 said:
    @midiSequencer ; It’s ok, I’m in no hurry: Just from the owner’s manual and your responses here I see a logical mind at work. I don’t need the knobs really.. I’ll just learn Quantum and bide my time.. I predict this thing to be all but unrecognizable in two years from its current awesome state.. This is gonna be an app to contend with, even more so than it already is. It may eventually even pass Pyramid, who knows? And thanks for your participation here.

With Link and MIDI clock, don't forget you can run Quantum along with other sequencers. It's pretty great with midiSteps, step poly arp, xynthesizer... I haven't tried it yet with one of euclidian apps.

• @syrupcore , yeah I’m gonna get step poly arp for sure.. What are your thoughts on the new Xequence ?

• @midiSequencer : I wonder if iat some point there could be arose for guitar .. Something I miss from the Yamaha motif series .

• @Telstar5 said:
    @syrupcore , yeah I’m gonna get step poly arp for sure.. What are your thoughts on the new Xequence ?

Haven't tried it yet.

@Telstar5 said:
    @midiSequencer : I wonder if iat some point there could be arose for guitar .. Something I miss from the Yamaha motif series .

arose for guitar?

• edited October 2017

@Telstar5 said:
    @midiSequencer : One thing for sure.. You keep exploring these generative concepts and Quantum will surely be the standard bearer for iOS sequencing if it isn’t already.. Just one last thing though. How about a free play- non step mode like on BM3 a d Squarp Pyramid? Or would the app have to be rewritten in that case?

free-running as in midi files? It's planned when I add the clip touchpad screen to allow you to import/export/edit/record midi files too - so its only natural I put these on a timeline ;)

I rewrote Quantum engine to work on ppqn just so it could handle DAW type sequencing & midi files - so what you have now is quantized play on a free-running clock.

• @midiSequencer : Sorry, I wasn’t clear . By freerunning I meant as in not in a grid.. not step sequencing.. More like just pressing “record” a d playing in real time .

• @Telstar5 said:
    @midiSequencer : Sorry, I wasn’t clear . By freerunning I meant as in not in a grid.. not step sequencing.. More like just pressing “record” a d playing in real time .

Why not have both! The record midi & save as midi files bit would suit you then. You'd just quantise that to transform into step-sequencing.

• @midiSequencer : Lol, I’mSTILL being unclear . I meant both and thanks for that tip!

• Record Midi:: that’s it!

• @Telstar5 said:
    Record Midi:: that’s it!

no worries.

so what would you buy if you didn't buy the Pyramid - and wanted hardware?

• First thought is I'd prefer Quantum continue on it's path of being the best at what it is: a step sequencer. There are other non-quantized linear sequencers out there that are good at what they do that will sync with Quantum.

Having a regular old linear timeline sequencer in Quantum would be really fun though. Even if it consumed a rack or part. And even if it didn't have a piano-roll or any sort of step editing. First thought here was kind of mundane but would still be handy: record the Q output to linear midi file whilst fiddling within the app. But yeah, just having a black-box set of linear/non quantized tracks that always played synced to the app's song time line would open.

Or maybe a MIDI looper with the ability to turn quantize off is a reasonably scoped intermediate step? Thinking something that has most of the rack controls (transpose, clock division, ...) of the current sequencer but no step editing. Like Loopy. Honestly, piano roll editing sounds like a completely reasonable IAP.

• edited October 2017

@midiSequencer

Nothing.. I need a polyphonic sequencr so if not Pyramid then Quantum..
    If I had my druthers tough, it would be a stand alone version of the Yamaha Motif Xs or Xf series .. Literally over 10,000 arps , some synth type, many were input by musicians in real time on their respective instruments, and they were semi chord intelligent .

• @Telstar5 said:

@midiSequencer

Nothing.. I need a polyphonic sequencr so if not Pyramid then Quantum..
    If I had my druthers tough, it would be a stand alone version of the Yamaha Motif Xs or Xf series .. Literally over 10,000 arps , some synth type, many were input by musicians in real time on their respective instruments, and they were semi chord intelligent .

Yamaha knew their sequencers and packed them with features!