Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you think the App Store should have a refund period?

Steam allows this with games. With computer plugins, most companies give a free demo. But since no demo with apps, what do you think of a refund window?

Comments

• Makes perfect sense, isn't there a refund period available in the European app stores?

• Apps are getting expensive enough now that I agree.

• Should only be one time though of course... I can see abuse of mastering apps otherwise.

• edited October 2017

I still think it just should have a demo option. Mostly i don´t find the stuff i want to know and/or hear in you-tube videos and even if, it´s hard to say if it will fit my workflow or taste.
    So i ended up to not buy many apps these days and prefer much more expensive plug-ins when i can demo them.
    It might sound not good but i really find the app store is a big mess, especially the new one, doh´.
    I mean there is a reason i bought 1-2 apps a week in the past and now it might be 1 in 2-3 months or so.
    No Animoji will change that :)

• How about selling on apps ? :D
    Half the apps I have is hsppily sell on even at half what I payed

• As a developer myself, I have to agree fully with the OP. Many developers currently "abuse" IAPs in order to offer a "demo version in disguise" (not looking in the mirror here... :D ) because they want to offer people a sincere and risk-free look at an app before "seriously" buying into it. I can only imagine that Apple doesn't do this because it would make bookkeeping significantly more complicated ("When can we send off the money to developers? Oh wait, people might still return the app"), etc...

• DCJDCJ
    edited October 2017

I've gotten a refund on several apps. There's a 90 day window. reportaproblem.apple.com

Unless something has changed?

• @dougdi said:
    Makes perfect sense, isn't there a refund period available in the European app stores?

Yup

I've gotten refunds lots of times

• @dougdi said:
    Makes perfect sense, isn't there a refund period available in the European app stores?

>

Yes. I’ve used it a few times, when an app is not as claimed and the problem isn’t a bug.

• edited October 2017

would be very gracious for them to offer up demos, which i think is a better and hassle-less option. disable it, no preset saving, time-outs, whatever. i don't have tons of money and feel embarrassed about asking for a tenner back because the env amount isn't bi-polar!

• edited October 2017

@ipadthai said:
    Steam allows this with games. With computer plugins, most companies give a free demo. But since no demo with apps, what do you think of a refund window?

Yes... but how will that work? After you have the app on your device, how will 'they' take it back?

I think videos should be mandatory for all apps... :'(

• I've had 3 refunds in 2 years, all of which have been within 24 hours of purchasing something, and now I am on some sort of blacklist so whenever I buy an app I have to click an extra button that says that I waive my right to a refund. Seems illegal to me and grossly offensive given how much money I spend in the app store.

• @lnikj said:
    Seems illegal to me and grossly offensive given how much money I spend in the app store.

Music app users of the world, UNITE!

(but first, just one more app)

• @ipadthai said:

@lnikj said:
    Seems illegal to me and grossly offensive given how much money I spend in the app store.

Music app users of the world, UNITE!

(but first, just one more app)

Shout as loud as you like. Apple is deaf god. :*

• @lnikj said:
    I've had 3 refunds in 2 years, all of which have been within 24 hours of purchasing something, and now I am on some sort of blacklist so whenever I buy an app I have to click an extra button that says that I waive my right to a refund. Seems illegal to me and grossly offensive given how much money I spend in the app store.

I get that too, doesn’t work or affect your rights.

• I get a few refunds every year. Never had a problem or put on any list. I simply explain to them the reasons the app won't meet my needs and that I have already deleted it

• Had lots of refunds on synths that on paper seemed great, and when dowloaded - massive dissapointment or not work as hoped, just click the ‘report a problem’ when apple email you the invoice. Apple have always been brilliant

• @lnikj said:
    I've had 3 refunds in 2 years, all of which have been within 24 hours of purchasing something, and now I am on some sort of blacklist so whenever I buy an app I have to click an extra button that says that I waive my right to a refund. Seems illegal to me and grossly offensive given how much money I spend in the app store.

you can still get refunds though, just not the no-questions-asked refunds that are supposed to be your right in the EU

• @ipadthai said:

there are some apps now doing demos, so not sure if Apple changed their policy or they just did it anyway

• @lnikj said:

That's interesting, I've only had my 'request refund' option taken away after the first two. I've still had no problem getting one by choosing 'other' and writing a quick response why (usually buggy; no dev response;) in the reply box. The support emailer always takes care of it for me.

I've gotten 6 refunds over a 3+ year period of almost-manic app buying, so I think that's fair. I admit to abusing it once cause the app just plain sucked, but it was within a half hour of purchase and I definitely deleted it.

• Apple does provide a framework for a demo period... My app uses it... You can use the full version for 2 weeks before paying anything.

• edited October 2017

The AppStore should have trials and paid updates, no need for a refund period.

@lucas said:
    Apple does provide a framework for a demo period... My app uses it... You can use the full version for 2 weeks before paying anything.

why there’s not a lot of apps that use it?

• A 30 day trial like Reason's Rack Extensions would be useful.

• edited October 2017

I don't see how refunds would work with software. You have it; you can keep using it. What prevents people from abusing that system?

Considering such a large number of paid apps are so inexpensive, with many games and little utilities, I can see how Apple doesn't want to encourage buyers to expect refunds. It would be like them saying that every app has a kind of trial period, so go ahead and see how you like it. More people would download without doing their homework, and Apple then has to manage the whole thing. As it is, refunds are possible, but Apple isn't going to allow someone to make that a buying strategy.

It hasn't been a problem for me. If an app is very inexpensive, after a bit of research to see if it might be worth my time, I'm more likely to pay the little bit to try it out. That's fine. It's an entertainment cost. If it's more expensive, I do more homework before buying. A free trial period could be helpful. I guess Apple must not want to deal with that complication either. It possibly helps keep prices lower overall.

• There seems to be some confusion here regarding the EU laws and "buying" apps, you have never "bought" an app on IOS ever, this is so they are not governed by any purchasing laws and consumers purchasing rights, you "rent" on IOS and Android, mostly one time payment in perpetuity, but yes neither are purchases or they could be sold on as the "owner" sees fit in the EU, which they can't.
    Apple are the masters at wordplay, you own non of the apps you use.

• @Samplemunch said:
    There seems to be some confusion here regarding the EU laws and "buying" apps, you have never "bought" an app on IOS ever, this is so they are not governed by any purchasing laws and consumers purchasing rights, you "rent" on IOS and Android, mostly one time payment in perpetuity, but yes neither are purchases or they could be sold on as the "owner" sees fit in the EU, which they can't.

I'm no lawyer, but isn't this how non-subscription software has to work. You license the use of it, and because of the nature of any product that can't actually be returned, it must be forever. Consumer rights regarding physical products that can be returned, and are also limited in distribution, have to be different?

• @lnikj said:

I had only 1 refund and still I got put on a blacklist where I had to agree to waive my right for a refund. However, I sorted it out by contacting Apple and got the blacklist removed.

• Not at all, check the EU rights on software sales/purchasing, just because it is not physical does not mean it is not purchased or that you just purchase a "right" to use.
    This is non discussable anymore, it is law in the EU and has been upheld, it changed a lot of companies policies in the desktop software world.

Apple and Google spent a lot of money on legal services to make sure that following the case they had their user agreements reworded accordingly (to which you agreed to by the way) so that you can never and will never buy software for an IOS device.
    There is a legal grey area with the word "buy" where currently you can use it in advertising because you are "buying the right of use under condition" ie "Rental in perpetuity" not ownership.

Can you tell i am about to release some stuff and have spent a little too much time with lawyers haha

• @lovadamusic said:

@Samplemunch said:
    There seems to be some confusion here regarding the EU laws and "buying" apps, you have never "bought" an app on IOS ever, this is so they are not governed by any purchasing laws and consumers purchasing rights, you "rent" on IOS and Android, mostly one time payment in perpetuity, but yes neither are purchases or they could be sold on as the "owner" sees fit in the EU, which they can't.

I'm no lawyer, but isn't this how non-subscription software has to work. You license the use of it, and because of the nature of any product that can't actually be returned, it must be forever. Consumer rights regarding physical products that can be returned, and are also limited in distribution, have to be different?

Indeed, it has always been like this. That is not an evil Apple invention, that’s simply how software works, in a legal sense.

• @lucas said:
    Apple does provide a framework for a demo period... My app uses it... You can use the full version for 2 weeks before paying anything.

Interesting! Could you elaborate on that or give a pointer to the API documentation?