Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the Absolute best app on iOS for Extracting the Midi from Drumloops?

with hopefully good export options as well.

Comments

• That’s a interesting question. Is there one? I would love that just for practicing purposes - record a cool drum part from a song and rip the MIDI to make a backing track.

• I'm not sure what all of the options are on iOS, but I would have to guess Auria...

"Included with Auria Pro is a real-time audio warping engine using élastique Pro v3, and utilizes transient detection to create warp markers that can easily be moved in time to change the rhythmic feel of audio recordings.

Automatically quantize audio using either warping or transient slicing, or extract the feel of an audio part and apply it to either audio or MIDI tracks by combining all of the above with groove quantizing! And Auria Pro's Audio to MIDI conversion turns audio drum parts directly into MIDI tracks."

Another one that came to mind is MIDImorphosis, but it's 32-bit and hasn't been updated in a few years.

http://audiob.us/get/292/MIDImorphosis

• Auria Pro added the feature of converting drum transients to midi that can then be pasted to a midi track. I do have Auria Pro, but I haven't tried the drum track to midi track conversion yet.

Just for the sake of being annoying I'll say that I convert a lot of drum tracks to midi, but I've done it with Melodyne or Ableton. Now I'm doing it with Superior Drummer 3 since they added their Tracker feature. Tracker is really, really good at it, but then SD3 is $400, which of course is the most annoying part of what I'm saying. Melodyne and Ableton ain't cheap either.

Someone, or many people, should be able to tell you how well Auria Pro does it, and if it has a good process for exporting.

• wow I didn't know auria did this.... my only reference point for audio to midi is ableton live, I wonder how good Auria is at this... ?

• edited October 2017

MTS also does audio to midi.

• edited October 2017

@Janie - Thanks! I'm pretty ignorant of how audio drums-to-MIDI conversion works, and had not idea Auria Pro did that. (I do have that app, but have barely used it).

@Littlewoodg said:
    MTS also also does audio to midi.

MTS does (monophonic?) audio to MIDI, and I remember testing it out with a simple guitar or synth recording and it was fairly accurate. Accurate enough, at least to go back in and touch it up with editing.

But is that the same as recognizing the individual instruments (kick, snare, hat, etc.) in a drum part and extracting those as different MIDI "notes". Can either Auria or MTS do that reliably? Forgive my skepticism.

• @StormJH1 said:
    But is that the same as recognizing the individual instruments (kick, snare, hat, etc.) in a drum part and extracting those as different MIDI "notes". Can either Auria or MTS do that reliably? Forgive my skepticism.

No, not in Auria AFAIK. It does basic beat detection, but that's it.

• edited October 2017

@richardyot said:

@StormJH1 said:

No, not in Auria AFAIK. It does basic beat detection, but that's it.

Same in MTS

• Huh. Probably not, but I totally forgot about Voxkit. From the looks of it, so did Secret Base Design (last update August 2014). I want to say I got that app for pretty cheap (looks like it used to be $1 to $4, mostly), and it was just kind of a sketch thing you could beatbox into or table drum to record patterns. Designer had some cool app ideas to record MIDI data in non-traditional ways (Double Decker and another app before it turned a standard QWERTY keyboard into a MIDI keyboard!).

• edited October 2017

I do this depending on if it's audio or I can get midi.
    If you have a beat similar to popular song it's easy.
    Midi (multi track) I throw into Auria pro, it automatically assigns the best fit instruments and then I can export or copy out the midi drum tracks. This only works for me for popular songs. Rare songs I find no midi.

Audio wise to midi MIDImorphosis and midi guitar are ok, but if you can time it and hear out the sounds you may be either get something close enough with a pattern program like Luis Martinez or DPP with benefit of human like fills. I find I need lot of editing of extra notes if I use audio to midi. Infinite looper has an improved audio to midi

• thanks for the tips and clarifications everyone.