Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Where's The Love For The iPod Touch

Just curious, how many of you still use your iPod Touch, with so much attention on iPhone 's and iPads, it seems the iPod Touch is quickly fading into oblivion.

Comments

• iPod touch hasn't had a refresh since iPhone 6

• I use an iPod Touch 6G as a test device. All my universal apps get their iPhone UI tested first on the iPod (it has the same screen as the iPhone SE). It’s not even a bad little gadget in terms of price:performance. Nice and sleek.. And it has a headphone jack... :D

• Weighs almost nothing and runs almost anything (including Gadget, BeatHawk, LayR, DRC, Model 15, Synthmaster Player, Poison, SynthScaper, Mood, Mitosynth, SampleTank…). I picked up my first one since 2009 this summer, mainly as a lightweight soundsource for Artiphon, and was amazed to find it still came with a jailbreakable system (10.1.1). Battery life is an issue, but it charges in no time, and has dropped further in price since I got it. Bless Apple for keeping it, and its headphone jack, around.

• I use mine every day. Replaced a tired 5G with a 6G a few weeks back, and fear the day when it is eventually discontinued.

• I still use mine daily, it’s a really early one and got me into iOS music making via ThumbJam.

• I recently washed my ipod touch and instantly bought a new one, use it everyday. They're underrated... especially if you don't have an iPhone like me :)

• The iPod touch it’s dead.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    I still use mine daily, it’s a really early one and got me into iOS music making via ThumbJam.

Me too! I still have my ancient one on iOS 4.1 (which talks to MacOSX 10.4 on PPC). Had to run MIDI through MIDI Mobilizer, but it still has NanoStudio, Beatmakers 1 & 2, Sunrizer XS, bs-16i, Music Studio, MorphWiz, and a whole archive of happy memories like iHolophone and JR Hexatone. And PianoFly! God, I <3 that little FM synth – and then it came back this year and it's still brilliant…

• @Masanga said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    I still use mine daily, it’s a really early one and got me into iOS music making via ThumbJam.

Me too! I still have my ancient one on iOS 4.1 (which talks to MacOSX 10.4 on PPC). Had to run MIDI through MIDI Mobilizer, but it still has NanoStudio, Beatmakers 1 & 2, Sunrizer XS, bs-16i, Music Studio, MorphWiz, and a whole archive of happy memories like iHolophone and JR Hexatone. And PianoFly! God, I <3 that little FM synth – and then it came back this year and it's still brilliant…

Yeh, mine’s about the same vintage. I was going to list the music apps that are still on it (apart from TJ) but it’s not to hand. It’s a pretty similar list to yours but with added weirdness like RjDj which I thought was totally revolutionary at the time.

I’d be lying if I said I’d used it for music making recently but it’s handy to have around as I don’t have an iOS phone.

• No one wants to lug one of those to a show

• @oat_phipps said:
    No one wants to lug one of those to a show

Tell me about it I'm too embarrassed to lug around my nano for fear I won't look cool

• Havent touched mine in weeks, tried replacing it with an Android device but that didnt work. It's a cool device for none iPhone users.

• I bought a 128G model for using just as a music player recently.

• I often use a Touch 6; it makes a great mini effects unit for my electrics.

• @rcf said:
    I often use a Touch 6; it makes a great mini effects unit for my electrics.

It's amazing how well it runs heavy-duty stuff like Model 15 on such a tiny, thin little machine (if you can live with the screen size) :)

• Does it have BTLE?

• edited October 2017

Thanks- useful chart.

Next silly question- how many ithings can I transmit BT midi to simultaneously.....

• The screen size can be a little awkward for live use, especially in some of my AUM multipatches, which often use iPulsaret, alongside many other apps. For live tweaking of a few parameters, I sometimes use an equally mini Audiofront ME midi controller. The Audio Damage apps (love 'em) are particulary hard to tweak on my iPod Touch 6 screen. Battery life is poor, but as Masanga said, it charges very quickly.

• Have been using one in my live setup for some time. Have used alongside a couple of ipads as either an additional synth module (Nanostudio) or as my main guitar modeler (Tonestack). All my presets are triggered via midi, and all synth sounds triggered by midi controllers, so no need to look at it during the show.

• @rad3d said:
    Have been using one in my live setup for some time. Have used alongside a couple of ipads as either an additional synth module (Nanostudio) or as my main guitar modeler (Tonestack). All my presets are triggered via midi, and all synth sounds triggered by midi controllers, so no need to look at it during the show.

/\
    Same here. It's a nice little processor for me. I think that some people probably use their ios device as their controller and play the screen, so it's probably confusing to them why someone wouldn't want that extra screen real estate. As someone who prefers physical instruments, the ios device is just a invisible processor to me in a live setup.

• @oat_phipps said:

Lol. Oh let it go already :)

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:

@oat_phipps said:

Lol. Oh let it go already :)

:wink:

• edited October 2017

Wanted: iphone roadie. Must be able to "lug" 5 oz and keep sarcasm to a minimum.

Hehehe. I concede that was a poor choice of a verb tho. I'm really just on a universal app crusade because I'm I want to play bias fx/pedal thru my phone and I'm bitter because I'm stuck with jamup pro

• I use an iPod 6G to run Korg Module and a few other things. The performance is pretty good. A little bummed that some music apps like the Korg iM1 require an iPad though.

• I would use an iPod Touch if they had a new version just to run stuff like TB Midi Stuff and other customizable surfaces. Like cheap and 4 GB or something, but with modern bluetooth or something. Lemme call ted cook

• @anomieholiday said:
    I would use an iPod Touch if they had a new version just to run stuff like TB Midi Stuff and other customizable surfaces. Like cheap and 4 GB or something, but with modern bluetooth or something. Lemme call ted cook

TB Midi runs fine on the iPod Touch. I have used TB Midi, Lemur and TouchOSC templates on it.

• edited October 2017

My wife loves her iPod Touch. I tell her that it's days are numbered. But then I remember that I'm still using an old iPod Nano for my travels that's still working fine. And, I still have an old iPod with the click wheel that's still working as well as it was when it was new.

This makes me wonder... why is it that modern smart phone batteries swell up, explode, and die within a couple years or so.. but my old iPod with the click wheel is still going strong with it's 10year+ battery?

• Can you fire off bluetooth midi with no lag from the last generations of ipod touch?

• @anomieholiday said:
    Can you fire off bluetooth midi with no lag from the last generations of ipod touch?

I frequently use it for testing BTLE Midi connections, and I don't notice latency. They're pretty much an iPhone 6 in disguise.