Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Out for Troublemaker, Ripplemaker, Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM

Comments

• If anyone tests Master Clock with external gear, please let me know how stable it's working on your end (and what gear you're using). We've been getting a solid sync on all setups we've tested but I realize there is an infinite number of MIDI chain variations out there.

• @brambos said:
    They’re live already? Good! Have fun!

:)

Brilliant, thank you.

• Just tested Ripplemaker triggering Addictive Pro - worked perfectly. Brilliant update, as I love the Brambos sequencer.

• @ Brambos
    I'd like to use your sequencer with a Volca beats. Can we use midi out of Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM and send notes to volca beats? Do we need midiflow to transpose midi notes of your app to those configured inside Volca Beats ?
    Have you tried also On volca Sample with rk 002 retrokits cable ?
    Thank you for these great updates.

Cheers !
    Johnba

• @ Brambos
    I'd like to use your sequencer with a Volca beats. Can we use midi out of Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM and send notes to volca beats? Do we need midiflow to transpose midi notes of your app to those configured inside Volca Beats ?
    Have you tried also On volca Sample with rk 002 retrokits cable ?
    Thank you for these great updates.

Cheers !
    Johnba

• This is just fantastic @brambos. I can use TroubleMaker as TB 303 sequencer to all core midi instruments. Brilliant stuff mate!....... Thank you for your hard work.

• That was fun - I had Troublemaker on ch1 triggering Korg iM1 drums, Ripplemaker on ch2 triggering Animoog, with the 'maker sounds going too.

@brambos - you've created a very special thing, thank you.

• Files.app integration under iOS11is a nice ’bonus’ ;)

• @brambos It would be really nice, with the Ruismakers, to be able to point them straight at Gadget’s drums (or other apps) that use sequential chromatic notes (I think note values 36, 37, 38 etc... or it might start from 48 - I forget).

As with FutureDrummer, would it be possible to be able to custom set the note numbers each drum sends from within Ruismaker?

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    @brambos It would be really nice, with the Ruismakers, to be able to point them straight at Gadget’s drums (or other apps) that use sequential chromatic notes (I think note values 36, 37, 38 etc... or it might start from 48 - I forget).

Interesting thought! They're not GM Drum mapped then?

• @brambos said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    @brambos It would be really nice, with the Ruismakers, to be able to point them straight at Gadget’s drums (or other apps) that use sequential chromatic notes (I think note values 36, 37, 38 etc... or it might start from 48 - I forget).

+1 this....
    It is the same for circuit...

• @Samu said:
    Files.app integration under iOS11is a nice ’bonus’ ;)

Yeah.. I'm not sure how useful that is, though. You only get access to the files in the "standalone" app, which could be used for backing up stuff I guess. However, the files app does not let you access files inside an Extension (as far as I can tell) so I'd still need to build a synchronization system if I want to be able to exchange files between the AU and the Container App... :#

• I forgot that Ripplemaker has a sequencer in the standalone version. Does it do higher notes than the Troublemaker one? I assume so...

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    I forgot that Ripplemaker has a sequencer in the standalone version. Does it do higher notes than the Troublemaker one? I assume so...

They both seem to go from c1 to c4;
    Linked up here on two devices, sending start/stop, cascading notes at slooow speed, midi clock out to beatstep ext sync, thru a flanged delay in an exotic flowing way, and that's w/out the ruismakers @brambos :]

• @AndyPlankton said:

@brambos said:

+1 this....
    It is the same for circuit...

And lots of drum apps. I think Funkbox and Beat Machine use GM mapping but most others are sequential note numbers.

• I feel like the guy who wanders up on a crowd gathered on the sidewalk and looking up at the building he lives in. Um...guys? What exactly happened here?
    What is different?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I feel like the guy who wanders up on a crowd gathered on the sidewalk and looking up at the building he lives in. Um...guys? What exactly happened here?
    What is different?

You can use MIDI out from Brambos apps to trigger other synths, which is a good thing for me as I love the way their sequencers work.

• edited October 2017

What am I doing wrong with the MIDI? I am trying to send MIDI out to my hardware synth. I set the correct channel out on Troublemaker and then nothing. I'm using iConnectivity Mio from my lighting to USB to the iPad (5th gen). MIDI out works for my other apps but not Troublemaker. I guess it is a troublemaker after all ;)

I generally feel like a person with above average intelligence . . . until I start messing with connecting iOS music apps. Then I feel like the village idiot.

• wimwim
    edited October 2017

As with FutureDrummer, would it be possible to be able to custom set the note numbers each drum sends from within Ruismaker?

IMO this would be a lost cause. There are no end to the mappings on all the different drum apps out there. Even the sequential ones sometimes start on different octaves. Go look at the iElectribe mapping some time. ;) Plus, even with GM, often tricky mappings are needed when there are more than eight (or six) target notes.

The right way to do this is with a MIDI filter. I have MidiFlow transforms set up for my various drum apps, but I would very much prefer to use an AB3 MidiFlow filter. @JohannesD has said there's one in the works, but it's been a long time coming and no indication when it might be.

Imagine though ... set up a filter once, state save in AB3, done.

• @ipadthai said:
    What am I doing wrong with the MIDI? I am trying to send MIDI out to my hardware synth. I set the correct channel out on Troublemaker and then nothing.

Troublemaker doesn't know where to send the MIDI, because there are possibly a dozen possible apps/devices that could be receiving it. So you'll need to route the MIDI to your iConnectivity. You could use something like AUM or MIDIfire for this...

• @brambos said:

@ipadthai said:
    What am I doing wrong with the MIDI? I am trying to send MIDI out to my hardware synth. I set the correct channel out on Troublemaker and then nothing.

Troublemaker doesn't know where to send the MIDI, because there are possibly a dozen possible apps/devices that could be receiving it. So you'll need to route the MIDI to your iConnectivity. You could use something like AUM or MIDIfire for this...

Thanks. Works fine via AB3's MIDI section. I should have tried that first.

• @wim said:

IMO this would be a lost cause. There are no end to the mappings on all the different drum apps out there. Even the sequential ones sometimes start on different octaves. Go look at the iElectribe mapping some time. ;) Plus, even with GM, often tricky mappings are needed when there are more than eight (or six) target notes.

The right way to do this is with a MIDI filter. I have MidiFlow transforms set up for my various drum apps, but I would very much prefer to use an AB3 MidiFlow filter. @JohannesD has said there's one in the works, but it's been a long time coming and no indication when it might be.

Imagine though ... set up a filter once, state save in AB3, done.

Yep, saving an AB chain with Ruis -> Filter/remapper -> target app would be delightful.

It's a good point that most of the sequential note target apps start at different notes but that's a simple MF Transpose away if it had sequential notes mode.

• edited October 2017

Developers need to learn from Brams on how to build efficiently... These apps are so 'lite' on resources...

_Ripplemaker
    Version: 1.2
    Size: 6.6 MB
    Language: English
    Seller: Bram Bos
    _
    Ok... Now, can we have scale lock/snap on Troublemaker? :)

• is the sequencer in troublemaker and ripplemaker behave the same? or do they give out unique sequencer variations not found from the other?

• @Suboidua said:
    is the sequencer in troublemaker and ripplemaker behave the same? or do they give out unique sequencer variations not found from the other?

Troublemaker lets you "tie" notes together - which really means only that they overlap each other slightly. The Troublemaker synth interprets overlapping notes as a slide.

Ripplemaker doesn't have this tie / overlap functionality.

• Out of all of these 3 apps, which would be the more versatile for sending out MIDI info to drive hardware & DAW Samplers etc?
    Is there any difference?

• edited October 2017

@Mayo said:
    Out of all of these 3 apps, which would be the more versatile for sending out MIDI info to drive hardware & DAW Samplers etc?
    Is there any difference?

Not sure any are particularly 'versatile'. They're more 'delightfully focused'. There are basically two variations:

1. Ruismaker (+fm) are 8 note Euclidean style sequencers (one per drum voice). Notes are fixed . You can set the length of each individually. You don't program specific steps. Instead you tell it how many beats/hits each track should have and it evenly spaces that number out across whatever length you've set for that track. Makes for wonderful variations in timing and polymetric joy. You can also set the number of accents separately. You enter that for every N steps. So a setting of 3 will accent the 1st, 4th and 7th hit—regardless of where those hits are placed. Hard to describe. Delightful to use. And there's 'Mutation' which will add some randomness to the steps.
    2. Trouble/Ripple: Monophonic sequencers. Can enter any notes you like.

So, one uses fixed notes and don't offer a way to do something like insert 4 16th notes only at the end of a pattern and the other is monophonic. So yeah, maybe not versatile per se, but they are absurdly fun and very musical.

• Thanks for that @syrupcore - I'll try Ruismaker and see how I go.
    The fixed note can be worked around with many options.

• wimwim
    edited October 2017

@syrupcore said:

@Mayo said:
    Out of all of these 3 apps, which would be the more versatile for sending out MIDI info to drive hardware & DAW Samplers etc?
    Is there any difference?

Not sure any are particularly 'versatile'. They're more 'delightfully focused'. There are basically two variations:

1. Ruismaker (+fm) are 8 note Euclidean style sequencers (one per drum voice). Notes are fixed . You can set the length of each individually. You don't program specific steps. Instead you tell it how many beats/hits each track should have and it evenly spaces that number out across whatever length you've set for that track. Makes for wonderful variations in timing and polymetric joy. You can also set the number of accents separately. You enter that for every N steps. So a setting of 3 will accent the 1st, 4th and 7th hit—regardless of where those hits are placed. Hard to describe. Delightful to use. And there's 'Mutation' which will add some randomness to the steps.
    2. Trouble/Ripple: Monophonic sequencers. Can enter any notes you like.

So, one uses fixed notes and don't offer a way to do something like insert 4 16th notes only at the end of a pattern and the other is monophonic. So yeah, maybe not versatile per se, but they are absurdly fun and very musical.

For Trouble/Ripple, this means you can dial in a percentage of randomness for Note Order, Accents, and Step Skipping, to add evolving variation to your patterns. Troublemaker also has a mutation for step-ties.

For Ruismaker (+FM) it means you can alter the probability of each step in the sequence doing the opposite of what it's programmed to do.

• edited October 2017

That is interesting.
    I'm thinking maybe running Troublemaker and Ruismaker locked together, each spitting out MIDI to hardware/DAW could be an amazing combo....