Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Out for Troublemaker, Ripplemaker, Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM

Comments

• @syrupcore said:
    These sequencers are really fun. Would definitely plunk down cash for a stand alone BramBos MIDI sequencer app with multiple sequencer tracks.

Yep, the built in sequencers are my favourite bit, but transposing multiple apps at once would be a dream feature for me.

• @MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:
    These sequencers are really fun. Would definitely plunk down cash for a stand alone BramBos MIDI sequencer app with multiple sequencer tracks.

Yep, the built in sequencers are my favourite bit, but transposing multiple apps at once would be a dream feature for me.

Very very super duper very this. Every time I get a little something going with multiple BramBos apps, I want to transpose them all. That could be part of the magic of the integrated BramQuencer App (SeqMaker? PhraseMaker?). Point the sequencers at your favorite apps (or AB/AUM channels) and that app could support sequence transposition internally instead of trying to set N stand alone XMaker apps to all listen to the same transpose input port/channel. Bonus: we could use it with multiple XMaker AU instances. :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:

You can do this now with the MF Transposer app in Audiobus 3 or a similar setup with other apps.

• edited October 2017

@syrupcore said:

@MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:

Very very super duper very this. Every time I get a little something going with multiple BramBos apps, I want to transpose them all. That could be part of the magic of the integrated BramQuencer App (SeqMaker? PhraseMaker?). Point the sequencers at your favorite apps (or AB/AUM channels) and that app could support sequence transposition internally instead of trying to set N stand alone XMaker apps to all listen to the same transpose input port/channel. Bonus: we could use it with multiple XMaker AU instances. :)

It’s a shame Link doesn’t pick up this, like it does with tempo changes. When I move a sequence up a few notches in Troublemaker for example, it’d be great if the change was picked up by Ripplemaker - instead of my quick hop fuss and itch to do it manually. Maybe that could be a unique feature for Brambos apps - that they talk to each other when running together?

But yeah a sequencer would be great, so we could control 7 Ripplemakers and a couple of Troublemakers:)

• @InfoCheck said:

@MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:

You can do this now with the MF Transposer app in Audiobus 3 or a similar setup with other apps.

Now? With the stand alone Bram app sequencers?

• @syrupcore said:

@InfoCheck said:

@MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:

Works great when using the makers as AB3 midi generators.

• @DCJ said:
    :o :o :o

Is there any other synth/drum app with internal link to midi conversion?

I'm swooning

Yes, Funkbox

• edited October 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:

@syrupcore said:

@InfoCheck said:

@MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:

Works great when using the makers as AB3 midi generators.

How would I make this happen? I haven't slept enough the last two nights so apologies if this is a daft question.

1. Troublemaker running with a sequence in C
    2. RippleMaker running with a sequence in C
    3. Use MF Transposer to transpose both sequences up 5 steps to F?

I get that this is possible:

1. Troublemaker standalone with internal voice muted -> AB3 MIDI In -> MF Transposer -> TroubleMaker AU
    2. (Same for RippleMaker)
    3. Adjust MF transposer as needed

This does work (just tried it) but it feels like overkill. And the MF Transposer really seems like it's design to set and forget. It's clunky for real time "Berlin School" style sequence transposition where you want to pick exact values on beat. You can enter them via numeric keypad but... Particularly clunky in this set up where you need to be able to transpose more than one AB lane. You have to do them one at a time so having them both modulate up 5 steps on the beat is pretty much impossible.

I'm thinking of something like midiSteps where you have a single keyboard that can transpose 1-4 sequences. Or midiSequencer's simple +/- 24 buttons. Or Xynthesizer's key/octave/scalar based transpose...

• If you want more of a playable experience, perhaps an app like Cream would be a consideration?

• @enc said:

Yes, Funkbox

Ah another winning classic.

• edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sorry if this is already been made obvious.... but does this mean Troublemaker can receive MIDI clock from an external source (in my case Cubase running on a PC) then redistribute this as Ableton Link sync to other Apps?

• @iamspoon said:
    Sorry if this is already been made obvious.... but does this mean Troublemaker can receive MIDI clock from an external source (in my case Cubase running on a PC) then redistribute this as Ableton Link sync to other Apps?

Unfortunately that is currently not allowed per the Link specs. But the other way around does work; the sequencers receive Link and send out Midi clock.

• @brambos Thanks for the info. That's a bit of a shame then but fair enough.

This functionality remains a bit of a holy grail for me to incorporate Link enabled apps into my Studio setup.

'MIDI Link Sync' by Coding Cod is capable of doing this, but I don't find it that reliable and it's a bit of a hassle to setup each time, especially since it doesn't save the settings.

If any developers fancy creating a robust solution for this, I think there would be quite a lot of interest from the computer DAW/MIDI hardware crowd : )

• @iamspoon said:
    @brambos Thanks for the info. That's a bit of a shame then but fair enough.

This functionality remains a bit of a holy grail for me to incorporate Link enabled apps into my Studio setup.

'MIDI Link Sync' by Coding Cod is capable of doing this, but I don't find it that reliable and it's a bit of a hassle to setup each time, especially since it doesn't save the settings.

If any developers fancy creating a robust solution for this, I think there would be quite a lot of interest from the computer DAW/MIDI hardware crowd : )

Yes, I can totally see the appeal of this. The official Ableton guidelines state that apps must not mix different syncing protocols. Since Link is always implicitly "both ways" you can't have Link enabled and MIDI Clock Slaving enabled at the same time. The other way should be allowed (my interpretation) because MIDI Clock separates master and slave explicitly. So my apps can follow the intended Link behavior and at the same time output MIDI clock for external devices or apps that don't do Link.

The problem with Clock->Link is that there is no logical behavior for cases where another Link app changes the tempo. Which tempo should your app follow? The one it gets from MIDI Clock (which means getting out of sync with all other other Linked apps)? Or the official Link tempo (which means getting out of sync with the MIDI Clock master)?

:)

• edited October 2017

:p Yeah that is quite a conundrum, thanks for the explanation.

(Obviously, in my opinion, MIDI clock should always take priority and Link should clearly show respect to its elders and duly switch to global slave mode when MIDI Clock joins the party...)

• @iamspoon said:
    :p Yeah that is quite a conundrum, thanks for the explanation.

(Obviously, in my opinion, MIDI clock should always take priority and Link should clearly show respect to its elders and duly switch to global slave mode when MIDI Clock joins the party...)

Tongue-in-cheekness aside, that's not even possible, because Link behaves as a hive-mind, and one app can not decide to change the behavior of the pack. So as soon as an app decides to ignore Links imposed tempo and phase, there is no guarantee that other apps will follow (either immediately or at all).

Link is almost literally a black-box library and developers have no influence on nor any insights into its inner workings. For all we know Ableton have built a hidden kill-switch into it that will turn us all into will-less Zombies if we don't obey teh Link. >:)

• That sounds about right to me...
    Ableton are clearly an evil soulless entity hell bent on enslaving the entire human race.

• My finger is very tired and my screen very dirty......all these app store refreshes :)

• @AndyPlankton said:
    My finger is very tired and my screen very dirty......all these app store refreshes :)

Ha!
    I know what you mean.

• Updates are live! For those on iOS 11 who are seeing several day delays with the App Store showing updates, you can stick your finger up in tHe middle of the update page, drag down, then let go and it will force a refresh.

• @brambos - this is amazing. Thank you!

• A W E S O M E !

Diligent development. Constant work and new ideas to gain perfection.
    This why brambos is the JSB of developers.

• Soooo awesome. Thanks a lot @brambos
    Great great great

• Nice. This is a sign. I have the house to myself next week, and this might just get me to pull what few synths I still have out of the nooks and crags for a jam.

• Thanks Brambos!

Question: how difficult would it be to add a little pin to lock open the “Load” screen? I really wanna but Troublemaker to drive iFretless but would love to create presets and load them in realtime as my song plays. This would be huge for me since I’m working on my One Man Band Setup to record a song in one single pass. Please?

@brambos said:

• edited October 2017

Quick question while I’m away from my iPad: can the Ruismaker sequencer now send GM or is it still locked to the black keys?

Edit: I forgot that Ruismaker is only 6 mb so I just downloaded it to my phone. The sequencer now works when you activate the GM Keymap button, so I think we’re all set.

Amazing! Absolutely amazing!

• They’re live already? Good! Have fun!

:)

• Awesome update...Massive!