Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: iCloud Photos question: SOLVED

schsch
edited September 2017 in Other

I made the mistake of trying to enable iCloud in my (Mac) Photos app and my iPad, and I now have over 7000 images in the iPad's Camera Roll (taking up over 15GB of space). What I really want is to go back to just syncing a few Smart Albums to the iPad. The issue is that even though I've turn off iCloud for both the Mac and iPad, the photos remain on the iPad.

When I selected a large number of them to delete them, it showed that they would be deleted within a number of albums. I'm scared to go ahead with the deletion in case when I re-sync with the Mac, it also deletes the images from the Mac Photos albums. Has anyone had any experience with this???

iCloud is certainly a dog's breakfast as far as I can see. I don't mind using it for backups for iPad/iPhone because my Mac's boot drive is a 256GB SSD and, of course, trying to do a backup of the 128GB idevices just ain't gonna happen, and dear old Apple allows no way to specify a mobile backup path other than the boot drive. What a crock!

Any advice would be gratefully received. :)

Comments

• @sch said:
    I made the mistake of trying to enable iCloud in my (Mac) Photos app and my iPad, and I now have over 7000 images in the iPad's Camera Roll (taking up over 15GB of space). What I really want is to go back to just syncing a few Smart Albums to the iPad. The issue is that even though I've turn off iCloud for both the Mac and iPad, the photos remain on the iPad.

I’ve got over 20,000 photos and dozens of videos in iCloud. Over 47.8GB. With the ‘optimise storage’ option, it hovers around 2.5GB used on iPad, but will reduce this if space gets low. No need to sync all photos.

When I selected a large number of them to delete them, it showed that they would be deleted within a number of albums. I'm scared to go ahead with the deletion in case when I re-sync with the Mac, it also deletes the images from the Mac Photos albums. Has anyone had any experience with this???

It will delete them from iCloud. It wI’ll delete them from iCloud Photo Library on your Mac. I think you should copy them from Photos to somewhere else, turn off iCloud Photo Library, then copy them back. Just to be safe.

iCloud is certainly a dog's breakfast as far as I can see. I don't mind using it for backups for iPad/iPhone because my Mac's boot drive is a 256GB SSD and, of course, trying to do a backup of the 128GB idevices just ain't gonna happen, and dear old Apple allows no way to specify a mobile backup path other than the boot drive. What a crock!

I have no issues backing up a 128GB iPad, 16GB iPad mini, 64GB iPhone and 32GB iPod touch to iCloud, plus a huge amount of stuff dumped in iCloud Drive, and my internet peak speed is only 4 megabits. And no problems restoring to new devices either. That’s my kind of dog’s breakfast. ;)

• edited September 2017

Don't delete them, just go to Settings and turn off Photos iCloud sync - as far as I understand, it will delete every photo from your iPad but not from iCloud

UPD: Oops, you already tried that :) Sorry

• Yup, I figured that should have worked, but no deal.

• Don't trust iCloud for your photos. The majority of my photos I uploaded more than a year and a half ago or more are corrupted. iCloud sux.

• @TheMediocritist said:
    I have no issues backing up a 128GB iPad, 16GB iPad mini, 64GB iPhone and 32GB iPod touch to iCloud, plus a huge amount of stuff dumped in iCloud Drive, and my internet peak speed is only 4 megabits. And no problems restoring to new devices either. That’s my kind of dog’s breakfast. ;)

ICloud does NOT do a full backup of the iPad/iPhone in the way that doing it through iTunes to the Mac does. That’s why I run out of disk space whenever iTunes attempts to do a backup. I have about 70GB of free space on my SSD, and fucking Apple has no way to direct backups to another drive... it’s insane!

I use Photoshop for PP-in my images and have multiple redundant backup drives, so there’s no critical issue with them being deleted from Mac Photos, but I do use the program to interface with my iPad so I can copy specific subsets of them (created with Smart Albums) to have available for showing clients etc. And, of course, Apple, once again, fails miserably because using iCloud doesn’t allow the use of smart albums! Instead of a smart album with around 1,000 images, I now have over 7,000 clogging up my iPad.

All was usable before I tried the iCloud option. It just royally pisses me off that the great Apple, a company that has had a reputation for serving the graphics industry, has their head so far up their ass when it comes to their own graphics software, both on the OS X and iOS.

• Solved it:

• Unchecked Photos entirely in iTunes for the iPad, then synced.
    • Manually deleted about 80 empty albums on the iPad
    • Manually deleted all (7000+) photos in the Camera Roll
    • Resynced to iTunes and selected only the smart albums I needed which then copied just over 1000 images back to the iPad.
    • Checked OS X Photos app and all photos are still there
    • Breath sigh of relief! :p