Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cakewalk - Momentum? Something new for iOS

Comments

• Looks like their answer to Alihoopla....

• edited September 2017

Anyone else here have their 3.5" diskettes from Twelve Tone still? Those were the days. This seems somewhat different...

• edited September 2017

Looks like a build on their Scratchpad HD app: http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/ScratchPad

• I'm hoping they show some love to Z3TA too.

• According to the e-mail it's

Introducing Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX

• @Angie said:
    Looks like a build on their Scratchpad HD app: http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/ScratchPad

Except scratchpad is dead on ios11

• @Martygras said:
    Anyone else here have their 3.5" diskettes from Twelve Tone still? Those were the days. This seems somewhat different...

I do!

• It’s hard to get excited about any new Cakewalk release until the Z3ta iOS app gets the love it deserves. Until that app gets updated I would just be afraid that I just bought some more abandonware again. There apps are not cheap so I expect at least some regular maintainance and some regular updates. And no I am not high maintainance. I think those are reasonable requests to expect for my buck.

• Cakewalk or not, it doesn’t look like much to get excited about, but I could be wrong.

In my opinion, iOS doesn’t need another music “ideas sketch pad” gizmo for jotting down ideas only to transfer them into a DAW on a “serious” laptop or whatever later on. It’s as if an iPad is incapable of being used to actually make music with.

I would rather see a company like Cakewalk pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved with an iPad. Korg, Steinberg, Moog and soon (hopefully) Propellerhead are big hitters who seem to be aware that an iPad can be a powerful tool for music creation, not just an expensive sketch pad. A company like Cakewalk should be driving innovation, not just replicating the same old crap that was released a few years ago when ios was in its infancy.

• edited September 2017

This...

@ElektrikDiva said:
    It’s hard to get excited about any new Cakewalk release until the Z3ta iOS app gets the love it deserves. Until that app gets updated I would just be afraid that I just bought some more abandonware again. There apps are not cheap so I expect at least some regular maintainance and some regular updates. And no I am not high maintainance. I think those are reasonable requests to expect for my buck.

And multitouch would be nice in the year 2017.

• It's out...

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1258325760

Please let them know how much you love subscriptions! :smiley:

Also, see above posts about the seemingly abandoned Z3TA+ on iPad.

• edited October 2017

Fuck that.
    $36 a year.

EDIT: HA.
    $36 is for the "basic" plan. For the "pro" plan it's $120 a year.

EDIT: I have been too hasty. A year commitment gets you a discount: Basic is $29.99, and Pro is $99.99. For a fucking four track recorder that will "allow" you to drag and drop into your DAW of choice (presumably not on iOS DAW).

Seriously, this is the worst and its failure must be LEGEND. Do your part iOSketeers.

• Whattttttttt?

Don't think that this work out positive for the company :D :D ;) :s :p :#

• They just wanna generate subscriptions income; understandable but not my cup of tea.

• Great, it is another “music ideas sketch pad”.

This is bad business on Cakewalk’s part. They clearly don’t have a clue about music on iOS. They want to charge $99 a year for something that you can already do with existing apps that cost a few $s one off payment or are perhaps even gratis.

If nothing else, it’s frustrating to see a big hitter like Cakewalk wasting their time with this crap when they could’ve produced something useful and innovative.

• "If you have ever tried moving an idea you captured in your IOS environment to a PC or mac or even another device you might be aware of how horribly slow and convoluted that experience is :)

We hope that once you try it you will agree that there is nothing out there that has this level of simplicity to capture and access ideas anywhere on any device. Creativity is all about immediacy and being able to capture or access musical ideas without getting bogged down with sharing services and other time consuming cross platform constraints."

That's what I grabbed from their forum. I have no problem moving stuff from iOS to Mac, but then maybe Cakewalk people aren't using the same apps?

Has anyone actually used Momentum? Looks like a cloud kind of service you'd be paying for, but I'd think the main value must be in how great the sketchpad functionality is, and for musicians who record audio ideas on the go with the mic. Mobile devices make good sketch pads. How many synth apps are there on iOS? Nothing says a company can't put out yet another one.

I don't think I have much use for Momentum. For those looking for a sketch pad, can you give it a meaningful review?

• I'm not interested enough to try it, but here's what a staffer said on their forum...

@Cakewalk said:
    1) Record on your phone/tablet like you would usually.
    * Use your phone mic or an interface/mic combo.
    * You have up to 4 tracks to work with and can bounce to 1 track.

2) Get home from your rehearsal studio/live function/remote podcast/interview.

3) Load your DAW. Insert Momentum as FX. Drag Momentum clips into project.

4) Have a great rough mix for overdubs? Bounce a track or record back into momentum.

5) Record on your phone/tablet like you would usually.

It's super efficient if you do remote stuff.

• @ElektrikDiva said:
    It’s hard to get excited about any new Cakewalk release until the Z3ta iOS app gets the love it deserves.

+1

• edited October 2017

@telecharge said:
    I'm not interested enough to try it, but here's what a staffer said on their forum...

@Cakewalk said:
    1) Record on your phone/tablet like you would usually.
    * Use your phone mic or an interface/mic combo.
    * You have up to 4 tracks to work with and can bounce to 1 track.

2) Get home from your rehearsal studio/live function/remote podcast/interview.

3) Load your DAW. Insert Momentum as FX. Drag Momentum clips into project.

4) Have a great rough mix for overdubs? Bounce a track or record back into momentum.

5) Record on your phone/tablet like you would usually.

It's super efficient if you do remote stuff.

I haven't looked at the app yet, but going only by this info I can't see a reason for anyone paying a subscription fee for moving recordings between devices/DAWs? I have a regular cheap MyCloud/MyBook NAS hooked up to my router. Every single file management app (like GoodReader etc) can upload audio files to that. Even from outside your home network. So when I sit down in front of my DAW on the PC I just grab the files, if they sucketh too much and need iOS spit n polish, I just grab them back on the iPad. I'm gonna have a look at the app now, I must've missed something...

• Ok I looked. I'm still not getting it. Just buy Loopy or any random iOS DAW that can export audio and, you're set.

• Ummmm no thanks ...this is like 6 years too late! It's a shitty 4 track, for subscription...

• Bm3 can stem just fine!

• Multitrack Daw. Looperverse. And a bunch of free apps that nobody on the site here rates. I’m just really incensed that the only innovation here is in the pricing model, not the product.

• @ChrisG said:
    Ok I looked. I'm still not getting it. Just buy Loopy or any random iOS DAW that can export audio and, you're set.

AudioShare with its wifi server is the workhorse for me. Fieldscaper if I'm feeling more creative (just got updated, too!).

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Multitrack Daw. Looperverse. And a bunch of free apps that nobody on the site here rates. I’m just really incensed that the only innovation here is in the pricing model, not the product.

Give 'em credit for figuring out a way to monetize mp3 technology now that the patent has expired and they don't have to pay a licencing fee. o:)

• @telecharge said:

@ChrisG said:
    Ok I looked. I'm still not getting it. Just buy Loopy or any random iOS DAW that can export audio and, you're set.

AudioShare with its wifi server is the workhorse for me. Fieldscaper if I'm feeling more creative (just got updated, too!).

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Multitrack Daw. Looperverse. And a bunch of free apps that nobody on the site here rates. I’m just really incensed that the only innovation here is in the pricing model, not the product.

Give 'em credit for figuring out a way to monetize mp3 technology now that the patent has expired and they don't have to pay a licencing fee. o:)

AudioShare is centerpiece for audio (storage & moving) here as well. I don't use wifi connection/sharing in any app that has it, I'm just way too lazy. I move any audio I want to make available for all other devices around here (incl the PC, other tablets, phones, gear, even my tv lol) over to GoodReader and upload to the NAS.

• @Beathoven said:
    Cakewalk or not, it doesn’t look like much to get excited about, but I could be wrong.

Page says Plans start from $2.99 a month. Subscription. :'(

• edited October 2017

Subscription or not, we already have Music Memos, which is free, fully integrated with Garageband and Logic (which is superior to Sonar, don't hate me for saying that) and seems to already have nicer composing tools than CW's sketchpad (drummer AI, for instance) despite being single track. Nah. Bring Sonar to iOS, or follow Steinberg's approach and bring "Sonaris", lol. Then we'll start talking.

• Hey cakewalk, how about updating Z3ta instead of attempting to sell us a product we don't want or need in any way shape or form? In fact, how about fixing your broken apps first prior to selling us anything at any price?!! Freaking jerks!**^~#***

• edited October 2017

what shit is this ? pure crap.. can’t believe that somebody sane can pay for this toy, there is sooo much better and more powerfull options for recording.. even old Multitrack DAW is miles away better

• This is fast becoming a favourite thread.

This discussion has been closed.