Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

App alternative to Roland SP 303/404

I sold mine some time ago. I really liked the simple direct workflow, and it seems like something that has to be replicated in an app somewhere. What I'm looking for is a sampler with really quick resampling and lots of interesting effect options. Super fast sample trimming would also be a plus. Any thing like this out there?

Comments

• Probably Blocs wave? Or Samplr

• @mireko_2 said:
    Probably Blocs wave? Or Samplr

I would say Samplr for basic, BM3 for complex.

• BM3 for the win I would have to say. Consensus seems to place its sampler as the best in the land of iOS. I'd say that's correct.

• SP 404 by Kerron
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sp-404/id454604523?mt=8

Well it has the name at least, if not much more.

• edited September 2017

yeah, that's a tough approach - hopefully Roland/Boss doesn't detect it ;)
    (and in fact not much SP stuff in there)
    We've had that Chinese/German chick recently in a thread who used a SP404 as core of her live setup (brilliant performer).
    None of the apps mentioned so far would be able to replace a real 404.
    For studio work that's different, though.
    I'd suspect Michael's recent Samplebot might be capable, but haven't tried it yet (still on IOS 9).

• @mireko_2 said:

This..
    Both can replicate the resampling workflow, only disadvantage is the lack of SP like effects.

• Blocswave for creating, launchpad with launch controllers for gigging.
    ReSlice for chopping/pitching (near to sp606/Mc909/808/VariOS).
    Bh2 for a bit of all...
    BM3 for the full experience but far from fast workflow IMHO.

• Used nearly all SP models over the years and I'm afraid that there's nothing like it in iOS land, at least nothing that could give you a similar workflow.
    I'm still in love with SampleWiz, at least it has similar immediacy.

• @Hex047 said:

@mireko_2 said:

This..
    Both can replicate the resampling workflow, only disadvantage is the lack of SP like effects.

Exactly. Those SP fx are awesome. Why I still have a SP404 on my desk :)

• Sp-606 :tongue:

ReSlice is the fastest sampler slicer . The AU version does not support ( currently) sampling .
    A nice trick is to launch ReSlice as IAA FX inside AUM and go nuts with sampling . After sampling and creating a preset you like , you can launch multiple instances of Reslice as AU that will play the presets you made when sampling on the fly .
    Drive those into Samplr thru effects and enjoy!

BM3 seems all around solution, but currently there is no auto slice, plus you need some time to learn the workflow (which is fast IMO . )

• Thanks for all the ideas, guys. I've had most of the apps mentioned for some time, but haven't dived into some of them that I was initially put off by.

I'm thinking that Turnado IAA could probably work as an effects suite with similar diversity (I'm not looking for any effects in particular, just a lot of choice with simple controls). I'll check the rest out.

I guess a lot of people aren't into making tracks purely by resampling (which makes sense in this day and age), but that's how I used the 404 and I found it a really refreshing way to get away from the precision of sequencers and "undo." Someone who wants to rip that hardware off has my money immediately.

• @legsmechanical said:
    Thanks for all the ideas, guys. I've had most of the apps mentioned for some time, but haven't dived into some of them that I was initially put off by.

I'm thinking that Turnado IAA could probably work as an effects suite with similar diversity (I'm not looking for any effects in particular, just a lot of choice with simple controls). I'll check the rest out.

I guess a lot of people aren't into making tracks purely by resampling (which makes sense in this day and age), but that's how I used the 404 and I found it a really refreshing way to get away from the precision of sequencers and "undo." Someone who wants to rip that hardware off has my money immediately.

Samplr can mimic the resample workflow very easily! set rec output to resample.

• I love Samplr, and it definitely gets me in the same zone, but for what I'm trying to do the 4 (?) sample limit and lack of midi triggers doesn't quite cut it. Thanks again for the tips tho!

@mireko_2 said:

• For fx look at effectrix too .

• @legsmechanical said:
    I love Samplr, and it definitely gets me in the same zone, but for what I'm trying to do the 4 (?) sample limit and lack of midi triggers doesn't quite cut it. Thanks again for the tips tho!

@mireko_2 said:

6 sample slots, best is probably a combination of samplr and impc pro for production and RemixLive or Launchpad app for performance do to their fx

• edited September 2017

_Imagine if Playground had sample import, _

look what they just did

https://www.facebook.com/getplayground/videos/1400623033390739/

• @legsmechanical said:
    I love Samplr, and it definitely gets me in the same zone, but for what I'm trying to do the 4 (?) sample limit and lack of midi triggers doesn't quite cut it. Thanks again for the tips tho!

@mireko_2 said:

no problem, how about a sp404 :P they can be had cheap on ebay and local classifieds

• @mireko_2 said:

@legsmechanical said:

@mireko_2 said:

no problem, how about a sp404 :P they can be had cheap on ebay and local classifieds

I wish. There like $400.

• which model has the best fx, I have a 303 and only messed with the 404?

• @kobamoto said:
    which model has the best fx, I have a 303 and only messed with the 404?

404, I'd say. I'm pretty sure everything on the 303 is on the 404 and then some, with a few exceptions. Some folks are nuts about the 303s compressor, eg; 404s comp is very different. 404 also has a lot of helpful workflow improvements.

• the Roland/Boss Fx-unit has a very special sound... and imho they used in in almost any gear of that time with variable programs. You'll also find it in the VS-Series 'portastudios'.
    The most complete collection is probably in the Boss VF-1 multi fx thingy.

• @kobamoto said:

555 looper plus 16 user presets that can be recalled on the fly
    606 dual FX engine ( my favorite )
    505 offline true pitch ( slow ,but the only SP that could chromatically pitch shift )

• @Korakios said:

@kobamoto said:

555 looper plus 16 user presets that can be recalled on the fly
    606 dual FX engine ( my favorite )
    505 offline true pitch ( slow ,but the only SP that could chromatically pitch shift )

I meant out of the 404 range, I used to have the sp-808 and emix version, a 606, and a 505

• @legsmechanical said:

@kobamoto said:

404, I'd say. I'm pretty sure everything on the 303 is on the 404 and then some, with a few exceptions. Some folks are nuts about the 303s compressor, eg; 404s comp is very different. 404 also has a lot of helpful workflow improvements.

I've been using it for running synths through mostly and occasionally some mpcs, I wonder about the latest release.
    what workflow improvements do you mean outside of the better storage options?

• @Telefunky said:
    the Roland/Boss Fx-unit has a very special sound... and imho they used in in almost any gear of that time with variable programs. You'll also find it in the VS-Series 'portastudios'.

yep, you could fit two of those into a 1680...... out of all of them I've loved the sp-808 fx so far.

• @Telefunky said:
    the Roland/Boss Fx-unit has a very special sound... and imho they used in in almost any gear of that time with variable programs. You'll also find it in the VS-Series 'portastudios'.

Out if all the gear I got rid of over the years, the Boss VF-1 is a piece I’ve kept. The guitar fx are sub-par by today’s standards, and not very good, but everything else still stands the rest of time.

• @legsmechanical said:

@kobamoto said:

the 404sx has a different compressor again to the 404 OG. 404OG is my favourite

• the fx unit is (manufaturer) programmable, likely based on an Analog Devices Sharc DSP (there were OEM versions with custom memory on chip).
    @kobamoto everone should have a SP808 for educational purpose - to develope a workflow is a serious challenge for us convenenience spoilt brats o:)