Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Soundfruuze experimental sampler/looped/granular thingy

Well this looks interesting...

soundfruuze by Alexey Nadzharov
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soundfruuze/id1279045883?mt=8

A little bit of sliver mixed with some borderlands?

Comments

• @DCJ said:
    Well this looks interesting...

soundfruuze by Alexey Nadzharov
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soundfruuze/id1279045883?mt=8

A little bit of sliver mixed with some borderlands?

Thanks for the pointer, this is a developer to watch (see rrarow, Phawuo)

• edited September 2017

Interesting, I'm fairly sure I have my granular needs covered but this and rrarow look like the work of my kind of dev.

(Edit) I wonder if rrarow is 64 bit though ... last updated before compatibility was a requirement.

• Hmmm. Thought I would take a chance on this and see what kind of magic it brings. Only appears in AB effects slot... that seems workable. Unfortunately, recording into it from AB only works about half the time. I keep having to either eject it or the input before it from AB to record something new, and even sometimes to get the sound working again. Getting a bad buzz after switching from the app to Audiobus. The in-app help page is missing a lot of info. I think I was a little too trigger h(app)y.

• @DCJ said:
    Hmmm. Thought I would take a chance on this and see what kind of magic it brings. Only appears in AB effects slot... that seems workable. Unfortunately, recording into it from AB only works about half the time. I keep having to either eject it or the input before it from AB to record something new, and even sometimes to get the sound working again. Getting a bad buzz after switching from the app to Audiobus. The in-app help page is missing a lot of info. I think I was a little too trigger h(app)y.

There are monuments built to men like you, out there on the edge, risking all and reporting back. We salute you and absolutely have your back in a passive rather-him-than-me kind of bourgeois way. Well done.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Interesting, I'm fairly sure I have my granular needs covered but this and rrarow look like the work of my kind of dev.

(Edit) I wonder if rrarow is 64 bit though ... last updated before compatibility was a requirement.

FYI: rrarrow appears to be 64bit and seems to run fine on iOS11

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

There are monuments built to men like you, out there on the edge, risking all and reporting back. We salute you and absolutely have your back in a passive rather-him-than-me kind of bourgeois way. Well done.

I just felt like it was my turn to save someone else.

Now taking donations for tomorrow's coffee...

• Hello DCJ,

Thanks for your interest and sorry for bad experience.
    And thanks for the report - will figure out the problems with AB and will try to fix it in nearest update(s). Were testing that on different devices but probably missed some configuration. Please feel free to contact regarding any issues or suggestions.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Alex

• @skiphunt said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Thanks, grabbing now

• Any videos?

• @supadom said:
    Any videos?

+100 Would like to see how it works before buying. Looks interesting btw :)

• @TheVimFuego said:

@skiphunt said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Thanks, grabbing now

btw more info about this app: http://soundfruuze.com/

Seems both other apps by the dev are on sale 50% off. Both seem to be also 64bit zo iOS compatible

• Is the live input loop buffer fixed at 10 seconds, or can it be set to less than 10 seconds?

• Sample import ?

• edited September 2017

@supadom, yes, videos are coming soon

@rcf, yes, the input buffer is fixed at 10 seconds but you can "zoom in" if you need more precision. It's not actually the "loop" that you repeat but just the recent 10 seconds of audio. You can use "looper" lane to add smaller loops (currently up to 10).

Each of the five "lanes" can be switched to different effects so you can have several "looper" lanes on one screen.
    When you touch screen and sound starts playing the main buffer stops recording. There is a secondary one that doesn't and you can switch to it with "A/B" buttons. Also you can record output to this secondary buffer for some kind of feedback effects.

• @Mayo quick record / sample export scheduled to be in nearest updates; no import yet as this is intended more for live capture

• rcfrcf
    edited September 2017

@njazzz said:

@rcf, yes, the input buffer is fixed at 10 seconds but you can "zoom in" if you need more precision. It's not actually the "loop" that you repeat but just the recent 10 seconds of audio. You can use "looper" lane to add smaller loops (currently up to 10).

Thanks, I'm more interested in live input granulation than looping. I often use the minimum 25ms live input ring buffer setting available in iPulsaret for live granular processing. I find that having the option to set very short ring buffer settings is very very useful... to me, anyway ;-)

I will certainly be purchasing Soundfruuze though.

• @rcf thanks, any suggestions and bug reports are welcome!

All parameters for each lane can be set by special sliders that can be enabled in the lane type selection view. The x and y parameters can also be mapped to control grain size, playback speed etc.

there are two types of effects for granular processing that do the same thing but allow you to control the sound differently - in "grain freeze" mode you can not change grain position with horizontal touch location but that can be used for second parameter that you can choose.

• @supadom https://www.facebook.com/soundfruuze/videos/118267678858437/
    very small video with basic features, gives (hopefully) rough ideas about the concept.

• @njazzz said:
    Hello DCJ,

Thanks for your interest and sorry for bad experience.
    And thanks for the report - will figure out the problems with AB and will try to fix it in nearest update(s). Were testing that on different devices but probably missed some configuration. Please feel free to contact regarding any issues or suggestions.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Alex

Thanks for listening! I'm sure you'll sort it all out. The other thing I forgot to mention was the grid snap. Nothing seems to... snap. I set the tempo and division but the loop points still seem to land everywhere. Could be a fun little app once stuff gets addressed.

• thanks! will check that!

• Hmmm... I like this developers other two apps rrarrow and phawuo. Are the launch version rough edges showstoppers? I’m thinking I might want to take a chance with this one.

• @skiphunt said:
    Hmmm... I like this developers other two apps rrarrow and phawuo. Are the launch version rough edges showstoppers? I’m thinking I might want to take a chance with this one.

For how I want to use it, yes. It's going to remain idle until this stuff gets worked out. But if you plan on using it in standalone and recording from a mic or through an interface, it'll probably work great! Plus, I never feel too bad about taking a chance on an app when a developer is active here trying to sort out issues.

• @skiphunt thanks for the interest
    i havent been updating two other apps for a while, just checked that they work (somehow) on current platforms
    As soon as i fix first issues with the new one i expect to get back to older ones with AB3 update and one more big thing to be added there later. Though i can't yet promise exact dates for that.

• @njazzz said:
    @skiphunt thanks for the interest
    i havent been updating two other apps for a while, just checked that they work (somehow) on current platforms
    As soon as i fix first issues with the new one i expect to get back to older ones with AB3 update and one more big thing to be added there later. Though i can't yet promise exact dates for that.

@dcj I'll likely grab it later if I feel that another app purchase may just fill that pesky existential void... at least for a little while. ;)

@njazzz as far as I can tell, I have both of your other apps rrarrow and Phawuo, already... and they both seem to be working fine on an iPad Pro 10.5 running iOS11, but always looking forward to cool updates. :)

• I understand the apps insistence on live capture - but my live performances go back years!
    What I do today, I may want to process tonight ;)
    Anyway - I suppose I can play past live performances into this.

I'm a little on the fence on this - I'll wait for vid's

• @skiphunt said:

@dcj I'll likely grab it later if I feel that another app purchase may just fill that pesky existential void... at least for a little while. ;)

I've spent so long looking for the words to describe what ails me and here they are.

• @DCJ said:

@skiphunt said:

I've spent so long looking for the words to describe what ails me and here they are.

You’re welcome. ;)

• Just found another video with soundfruuze in action:

• Bought it. Been playing with it for about an hour and really dig it. Have it in AUM feeding it samples from audioshare. Two sample buffers and you can change the kind of granular control type on each of the lanes. You can keep the buffers feeding live or freeze them.

Just scratching the surface (pun intended) ;), but there’s more here than I expected.

Kind of a hybrid between Sliver, GrainProc & iDensity, but more performance oriented and no automation that I’ve found. But still pretty cool, and it’s own weird thing.

I only have AB2, but it’s working the same way there as I’m using it in AUM.

• Have to clarify after going back to this that it's only the loop points that don't snap to the grid... but we definitely want the loop points to snap the grid... right? Is this technically a feature request?