Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Magellan vs iMini + Animoog

Just noticed Magellan went on sale. I already have iMini and Animoog. I love both synths and they complement each other well.

Would adding Magellan to the mix be a little redundant? Should I be looking at Thor or Nave or something else instead in terms of variety?

Just wondering if people know of anything amazing I might be missing out on by skipping Magellan.

Comments

• Magellan is superb!! Get them all ;-)

• Their Galileo organ app is on sale as well. Maybe I'll go for that instead.

• You could get them all for the price of one desktop vst instrument. That's one reason i like ios music!

• Some people like Magellan for the effects rack alone. Mighty Magellan!

• MAgellan is great, perhaps redundant but well worth having. That said, I'd save up for Nave and Thor first. Can't go wrong with Galileo either - it is outstanding and should be on most folks' iPad studios...

• They're all awesome. Here's what stands out about each one to me.

Magellan: excellent FX rack, and can be used as an AB effect, random patch creator (with controls to shape it), sweet arpeggiator, full on MIDI implementation in v3, it has a well developed analog-esque sequencer, though I don't use that much, if its your thing you'd prob love it

Gallieo: in its own category since its all about organ. This rivals anything I have on the desktop and sounds very authentic for lots of different organ types. Every kind of tool you'd want to shape an organ sound is in there, and it can also create some un-organic sounds.

Thor: vast array of synthesis types, filters. Something like 1000 included presets to get you started, semi modular architecture, mod matrix is obscene with just about everything exposed as a source and dest. I also like the way the performance controls let you map a couple of controllers to multiple parameters and give then a friendly name. Some people love the keyboard. I personally don't.

Nave: wave table synthesis basically lets you paste in any sound as the starting point and go bonkers from there. The UI is just about the best I've seen on iPad. It's easy to not notice just how much complexity and how many sound shaping tools are under the hood with this thing because it is just so darned user friendly and beautiful. Everything about it is top notch including the sounds it can create.

Not sure if that helps or makes it harder. You can lose hours or days in any of them. In my opinion Nave and Gallileo are easiest to program, Thor probably comes with the widest variety of presets if you're just looking to plug tones into a tune. As already mentioned they're all pretty much a steal at these prices.

• Hi, i have iMini, Magellan, Animoog and Galileo and for me each app has their magic. Magellan and Galileo has excellent effects. i think you can take some characteristics of these apps for differents situations. That's my opinion :)

• Not to forget!
    Magellan is very stable in a Audiobus / Daw enviroment.
    I can throw midi at it for hours straight and it very rarely crashes.

• Thanks guys. I ended up getting both Magellan and Galileo. Easy decision to make when they're going for $5. They both sound great and I can already tell that they're not redundant at all to what I already have.

• Happy days!