Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: iPad Animation Apps

Hey, was curious if anyone knows of any mostly unknown but excellent animation apps? I had a few of the stop motion variety, that were decent, but all killed by iOS 11. I wish the new Procreate 4 had some built-in animation tools.

It'd be awesome of there was something along the lines of After Effects or Apple Motion, but for the iPad. I don't think that exists at the moment.

One of the stop motion apps I had, that died with iOS11, allowed me to import a folder of sequential timelapse images, adjust the playback rate, then export of movie file. So, I'm looking for that functionality too.

Of the stop frame animator apps I've checked out, leaning toward RoughAnimator but I can't tell if it allows importing of multiple sequenced images, or what the maximum resolution for import/export is. But, it says it supports importing video in for rotoscoping, which is cool. I've messaged the developer, though haven't got a reply yet.

Figured I'd see if anyone here knew of an app that sort of fits what I'm looking for, or close.

Comments

• imotion by fingerlabs?

• @nick said:
    imotion by fingerlabs?

I remember that one, and it looks like it's been just updated... but it has a lot more bad reviews than good ones. Will examine it closer later. I think there's a free version to check out too. thx

• Monzo Jnr. likes this one:

Stop Motion Studio by CATEATER, LLC
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stop-motion-studio/id441651297?mt=8

• I went though the list and Animation Desk Ultimate is the one I settled on, supports rotoscoping etc. Part of a suite of tools, but you don't need to buy in to the whole pile. iOS 11 ready

Animation Desk Ultimate by Kdan Mobile Software LTD
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/animation-desk-ultimate/id1152147166?mt=8

• edited September 2017

Would Tagtool count? The New Tagtool by OMA International
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-new-tagtool/id1129269238?mt=8

• This is the one i use
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/animation-pro/id1098505288?mt=8

Though i use it for hand drawn animation but it's got a lot of features so it might be for you

• Yes sorry my recommend was for Hand drawn stuff

• @skiphunt said:

@nick said:
    imotion by fingerlabs?

I remember that one, and it looks like it's been just updated... but it has a lot more bad reviews than good ones. Will examine it closer later. I think there's a free version to check out too. thx

mots of the time I ended up using that one, reliable and friendly interface etc.
    I find all of the stop motion apps very limited. another rather reliale app is istopmotion, and I think there is a free one from aardman studios (makers of wallace and gromit etc)

• relative to roughanimator, Ithink it is more for drawn animation, and also more for android it seems. found it to be rather laggy on ios

• @Aud_iOS said:
    Would Tagtool count? The New Tagtool by OMA International
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-new-tagtool/id1129269238?mt=8

TagTool is a different beast altogether. I actually just bought the Pro upgrade. It's incredibly easy to animate primitive stuff without complex keyframes. It's really wonderful, but targeted primarily or solely toward performance projection. The free version is really most of the app too. I bought the full version to get a bit more control over the brush and colors.

Some good suggestions here, but the more I think about it... all I'm really looking for is some kind of frame sequencer I guess. Though rotoscoping would be cool too. I'm pretty much covered for drawing/painting with Procreate 4 now.

• Funny that I got more good info and replies here to this question... than what I was able to find on reddit

• I'm wondering if I might be able to do the sequential image timelapse stuff with Lumafusion. Off to ask those cats if it's already a feature I didn't know I already have.

Still interested in some rotoscoping, the option to do onion-skinning though, and I know LF doesn't do that yet.

• Not bad... I've got a collection to try out. Looks like this one will import video to paint over, but they aren't calling it rotoscoping, so I'm guessing it might not be frame-by-frame. thx for the suggestion :)

• I wasn't aware oft tagtool. looks really interesting. reminds me of sketchbook motion which is also loop based but tagtool obviously oriented towards live use and more flexible

• @nick said:
    I wasn't aware oft tagtool. looks really interesting. reminds me of sketchbook motion which is also loop based but tagtool obviously oriented towards live use and more flexible

iMotion might do the trick too. I'm not looking for the ultimate animation tool. Just some good basic stuff and a good interface.

TagTool is becoming very addictive for me. So immediate and fun once you get the hang of it. Looks like they've been at this awhile. I've been chatting with the dev. It came out about 8 years ago as a DIY project. Then they released it on iOS in 2012, but it was written by a 3rd party and was only for iOS. So, they wrote it all over again from scratch so that it could be cross platform.

In short, it looks like they're in it for the long haul, and this isn't their first rodeo. They are very quick and precise with inquiry replies too. I just bought the pro upgrade today after playing with the free version for the last couple of days.

• Bricolage is good for animations. It's a compositing app.

• @Phil999 said:
    Bricolage is good for animations. It's a compositing app.

Hmmm... I have this one. I think you recommended it to me. Never gelled with it, but didn't spend ample time. I should revisit it for sure. Can you import a folder of numerically sequenced time-lapse images and play them back with frame rate adjustments? And, can you do rotoscoping with it as well?

• I'll have to have a look at it ...

• @Phil999 said:
    I'll have to have a look at it ...

I’ve since been in touch with the dev and am now beta testing. I already own it though.

Doesn’t do anything I was asking about, but it was a good idea to be reminded that I needed to revisit node-based compositing. Thx

• edited October 2017

The Imaengine School Edition by luis manuel Rivas app can import your videos and turn them into vector graphics and export them back out to your camera roll or open in other apps. There are a number of filters and there's a free version to test out too.

It even has a random button to generate settings for some interesting effects.

• @InfoCheck said:
    The Imaengine School Edition by luis manuel Rivas app can import your videos and turn them into vector graphics and export them back out to your camera roll or open in other apps. There are a number of filters and there's a free version to test out too.

Yes, thanks. I've already discovered that one from another thread here over the weekend. LOVE IT, and bought the IAP immediately. I was thinking it'd be great as a starting point to whittle the video down to a minimal/vector version, then import into another app like FlipaClip to draw/trace over the parts I want to animate, then delete the video layer. I've already tried this with the free version of FlipaClip since it gives you 6 seconds of video for free. Works great. I might buy the IAP for that one to get longer clips, but I'm checking other similar apps out to find the best drawing tools. Some of the free ones have very primitive tools, very jaggy and no anti-aliasing going on. Or, too much anti-aliasing where it looks too blurry. So far, FlipaClip is easy to use with just the right amount of tool control.

As for the importing of timelapse stills, iMotion that was recommended in this thread, does the trick fine. Even the free version appears to be all I need.

• you can import image sequences with iMovie? Good to know, thank you.

• edited October 2017

@Phil999 said:
    you can import image sequences with iMovie? Good to know, thank you.

Actually, I said iMotion... and yes you can, even with the free version. But, I wonder if you can with iMovie? I'd check myself, but I deleted some time ago in favor of Lumafusion. If you still have iMovie installed.

Looks like you could with the desktop version back in 2012 as evidenced in this video... might have to reinstall iMovie, because I don't believe you can in Lumafusion.

• Hey,

Just ran across this little animation using the TagTool app I mentioned. You can do most of this with the free version, but this animation is utilizing the "offset" feature that I think is only available with the pro version.

Anyway, I thought this little anim was pretty cool for such a great, and intuitive animation app for live projection. They're supposedly working on being able to record your animations and export, but for now you can use the screen recording in iOS11.

And, thanks for the other recommendations here. I ended up settling on FlipaClip and buying it's full IAP to get the video import for rotoscoping. Overall, I like it. And, they are supposedly working on audio import with some kind of sync feature... though, from their support forum, it looks like they've been promising it for several months now.

I'm nowhere near as good with TagTool as this, but it's cool to see what's possible.

• edited November 2017

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

Sound interesting, any video demo of this?

• @mannix said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

There are a bunch of videos on youtube, but I haven't seen a demo. However, I can attest that it's a great vector effects app and can confirm it works well with iOS11. Most of it's function is free, but I found the $1.99 IAP worth it.

It was also updated just last month so it obviously hasn't been abandoned. Highly recommended! But you can see for yourself with the free version.

• edited November 2017

Here’s a demo where two videos have been vectorized with the imaengine school app and then blended together with LumaFusion.

• @skiphunt said:

@mannix said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

There are a bunch of videos on youtube, but I haven't seen a demo. However, I can attest that it's a great vector effects app and can confirm it works well with iOS11. Most of it's function is free, but I found the $1.99 IAP worth it.

It was also updated just last month so it obviously hasn't been abandoned. Highly recommended! But you can see for yourself with the free version.

@InfoCheck said:
    Here’s a demo where two videos have been vectorized with the imaengine school app and then blended together with LumaFusion.

Thanks, will check out the demo :)

• edited May 2018

Hey there,

An update on this...

Eventually, for cell-frame animation I settled on FlipaClip. It's free, but if you want the cool "Premium Features" there are some IAPs. I bought the Premium IAP that includes all of the features for $5.99. The main one I wanted was the feature where you can import a video and it gets converted to a cell frame timeline that can be drawn on with multiple layers. It's easy to use too.

Well, they've been working on a new feature where you can import audio clips, scrub the animation and add multiple sound fx and clips wherever you want and in sync with action. It's finally out of beta after over a year or so in development and works well!

I was part of the beta, but didn't get a chance to play with it that much due to travel. However, it's now officially launched and part of the Premium features. If you already bought the full Premium IAP like I did, it's now included.

Here's a link to the app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flipaclip-cartoon-animation/id1101848914?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Here's a video demo'ing the new audio clip import feature: (Beta Testing is over... the feature has now been launched on both Android and iOS)