Xequence midi sequencer ?

Not that we need another midi sequencer but have you all seen this app
Xequence | MIDI Sequencer by Seven Systems Cross-Platform Media Limited
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xequence-midi-sequencer/id1279011478?mt=8

Comments

• 824 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • @hellquist said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Could you make Xequence as an IAA app? Then it could sync to its host, even if it just produces silent audio.

I asked exactly that in another thread and the answer then was that Xequence can only be the master, and that it would be easier to implement Link rather than clock slaving.

I'm not sure I buy that argument :) There's really not much difference between Link and host sync. http://lijon.github.io/ios_audio_sync.html

• edited November 2017 Vote Up2

@gleandibson @rezidue -- as it currently stands, AUM cannot slave to MIDI clock, thus it is not possible to sync apps hosted in AUM to Xequence's clock.

HOWEVER :) Ableton Link is currently being integrated into Xequence, and that should solve all these problems. Give us approx. 2 - 3 more weeks for the update B)

(apart from that, the next update will also have Files App integration on iOS 11, controller ramping with various curves etc., and mirroring / flipping of notes and controllers...)

• edited January 30 Vote Up2

For anyone still listening to this thread, here's a little preview of the new control modes in the upcoming Xequence update:

It's not MPE and as such doesn't allow separate values per touched key; however, the upside is that it works with ANY synth (regular CCs) and is trivial to set up.

• edited February 20 Vote Up2

BTW, anytime any of you is running out of musical ideas, the next Xequence version definitely got you covered! ;)

(Very early preview)

• @Scratcher said:
    The looping features, design, sequencer etc are all great. PolyHymnia is awesome, could exist as a separate product, gives StepArpPoly competition. Took me hrs to find the check box in the lower right corner to close the piano roll editor, iPad UI can be so particular. Right now I'm trying it with my hardware rig, so far so good. Would like to see the modulation easier to assign and access, (functionally like Modsteps performance sequencer page). UI nesting is pretty shallow though. Unlike your competitors, yours works on iPhone, which is in many ways my favorite music device. Like others have said, if you can host AU/IAA, you'll pull me away from Modstep & AUM. Even if you could just host AUM as a plugin, minimizing the app flipping. Being productive with e-music is inherantly challenging (esp on iOS), but clever flexible design can makes it fun, like a good video game.

Thanks again for the feedback! I took note of the "close the pianoroll editor" issue, I'll probably add a "You can exit the pianoroll editor again by tapping the checkmark button" hint.

@CracklePot said:
    @SevenSystems Have you considered adding Audiobus 3 support so that Audiobus can host Xequence? It could have no Audio output, like how Quantum is hosted in Audiobus. But the benefits are the easy switching between Xequence and the synth apps, plus you get FREE Link start/stop if the hosted app supports Link and the latest Audiobus.

If you could do the same for AUM hosting, that would be great. But for some reason I get the impression that Audiobus is easier to add than IAA, and if that is the case, just having the Audiobus support would be fantastic.

There's really two options on the table: 1) Add Audiobus 3 support 2) Add AUv3 hosting directly to Xequence. To be quite honest, I prefer 2), as it would streamline the experience the most, and would open up Xequence to become a full DAW if audio tracks are also added (which would be very realistic once AU hosting and the corresponding infrastructure, mixer etc. are in place). Of course, once 2) is done, 1) still makes sense and can be done as well. Full disclosure: the feature survey we did recently also strongly supports 2) (it actually came out first place!) :)

@aaronpc, I think I got it! :D

• Hi everyone! I just wanted to thank Seven Systems and all of you for creating this forum... and I'll tell you why! Thanks to Jordan Rudess' videos on YouTube I bought my first apps ever, being a hard bitten hardware man. This led to finding Korg Gadget and then, ultimately, Xequence. I have, in fifty years of playing, mostly played acoustic pianos with small forays into Prophet land (600 in the 80s) and four track tape territory. I currently live in Istanbul and am apart from my acoustic grand. I recently purchased a Roland FA07 and love it (breath).

Here's my point: absolutely nowhere did I find a forum where the developer regularly appeared, answered questions and took users advice! Yamaha, Korg and Roland are not "present" in the forums (rarely anyway) in the forums I have visited (though I did find a great connection at Roland US but had to beg help since I am inTurkey). But in this forum the developer invites guys out for drinks!

Perhaps app developers are more in touch with their user audience than big corporations. If so then they those big shots should take a big lesson from this forum on how to generate interest and sales.

Virtual music production is totally new to me, so maybe this is not so unusual. But to know there is a place where people discuss something like Xequence and have the creators' ears at the table and with real time responsiveness is mind blowing for someone like me. And I cannot imagine anyone doing this job better than the gentleman or lady from Seven Systems who interfaces with you all.

I bought Gadget because of the sequencer, but being kind of old school, the linear nature of Xequence is much more appealing.
    Frankly, for me, the loop and phrase paradigm inspires a certain type of music only. At least all the samples in Gadget reinforce that opinion for me. A linear format, for jazz or "classical" music, is much preferable for every type of music, I believe. Please tell me if I am mistaken on this!

So now I am off to finish reading this endless thread and then purchase Xequence, and what convinced me to follow this route was Seven Systems and all your insights into the process. I am a total beginner in this stuff and I cannot tell you how much having access to your collective knowledge means to me! Maybe some day I can even make a contribution!

Hats off to you all and especially to Seven Systems for creating something truly 21st century! Mike

• Opposites attract :)
    It’s meant to be, I know I’m dreaming :D

__> @SevenSystems said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Since AUM 1.2.3, it should pass on single byte messages to AUs (like start/stop/clock). But I’d be surprised if there are any AU plugin out there that listens to midi clock! There simply is no reason to, the host already provides a real transport clock for syncing.

Yeah, that's what I thought the moment I submitted my post. They all just rely on host sync... so the correct way to handle this would be to make Xequence slave to the host (AUM), as you mention. However, as you probably have experienced yourself, slaving is much harder than being the master (just like in the real world :D ), so we didn't implement this yet.

But Link should probably solve most of these issues, and implementation-wise, it doesn't present quite as many problems as full MIDI sync slaving.

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I think AUM and Xequence marriage would be perfect.

I had similar thoughts during development, as Xequence represents exactly those parts that AUM is missing... but the two user interface approaches are very different. (AUM: sexy carribean swipey-up-down-left-right Beach. Xequence: "Throw in a button for every feature".) ;) But the two complement each other well as it is...

• @SevenSystems said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Since AUM 1.2.3, it should pass on single byte messages to AUs (like start/stop/clock). But I’d be surprised if there are any AU plugin out there that listens to midi clock! There simply is no reason to, the host already provides a real transport clock for syncing.

Yeah, that's what I thought the moment I submitted my post. They all just rely on host sync... so the correct way to handle this would be to make Xequence slave to the host (AUM), as you mention. However, as you probably have experienced yourself, slaving is much harder than being the master (just like in the real world :D ), so we didn't implement this yet.

But Link should probably solve most of these issues, and implementation-wise, it doesn't present quite as many problems as full MIDI sync slaving.

Link would not solve following start/stop transport state. MIDI sync is arcane and very difficult to implement. I'm talking about host sync, the standard way for AU plugins to sync to their host, and also the standard for IAA even though it hasn't really been implemented by all IAA apps. Host sync is not much different than Link, so please take a moment to investigate it :)

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I think AUM and Xequence marriage would be perfect.

I had similar thoughts during development, as Xequence represents exactly those parts that AUM is missing... but the two user interface approaches are very different. (AUM: sexy carribean swipey-up-down-left-right Beach. Xequence: "Throw in a button for every feature".) ;) But the two complement each other well as it is...

As an IAA node with host sync they would be a great combo :) You could make it output a metronome click or something just to have some audio.

• @SevenSystems said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    Actually it's pretty easy to slave Aum or any ableton link only app to midi clock. Just use midi link sync. And use it's midi=>link setting. It's how I slave AUM and all my link apps to my beatstep pro.

Thanks a lot, I had those "converter" apps in mind but wasn't sure if they worked in both ways. So, that should help @gleandibson @rezidue!

It still won't fix wanting to start all apps simultaneously though. I really recommend you listen to @j_liljedahl suggestion. He is the developer of AUM. He knows what he's talking about. Between him and @brambos you should be able to get any issues you're having implementing features sorted in no time. IAA sync would be a real boon since for live performances you'd be able to start everything at the same time and not just tempo lock...

• Midi in Auria Pro, while not impossible is, really difficult to work with when compared to Xequence! IMHO.

I really enjoyed creating midi tracks in Xequence which then drove Zeeon, Poison 202 in Auria pro. But what was really impressive was how the Transport controls in Xequence controlled Auria Pro. I really loved that so much! I even had Drum Session in AP and Xequence’s transport also controlled Drum Sessioni. Very impressive! I actually started enjoying that work flow. I might need to revisit my workflow now that I want to concentrate in AP. I really love Cubasis too, but i’ve never been able to master AP’s basics. I guess Xequence wil be so useful to tale care of the midi part when working with AP. Just my 2 cents...

• There's some other stuff in the oven too... :)

• @Fitz: Actually, I added them because of MY playing :D

• Thanks for the new mapper. Definitely worth the IAP. I have never realised how cool this app is when used with gadget. So easy to map each track and, in my opinion, much easier to compose than directly inside gadget

• @SevenSystems said:
    @wim: Thanks for the answer, beat me to it :)

We do a lot of beating of developers around here. Not usually in this sense though. ;)

• edited March 4 Vote Up1

@SevenSystems

I’ve had the chance to really dive into Xequence the past 3 days and wanted to say what a great job you’ve done. This is the best midi editor since NanoStudio. Much is familiar to the piano roll of NanoStudio, all of the good stuff that made it fun and easy to use.

I’m aware that importing multiple midi clips into a single project is coming soon, which will be welcome.

One, (maybe simple) thing I would like to request is that the midi clips list has the option to be displayed in date order. As currently, needing to import multiple clips from Gadget, they all have different names and require searching for. A date order option would make them all top of the list and easy to find. Especially with so many clips already imported.

Super happy with the app. Cheers!

• Is there a way I can Sync Xequence and AUM so I can record the audio into AudioShare from Xequence.? I have just been starting recording first in aum then pressing play in Xequence. then have to manually trim my start and end points in AudioShare after recording. I’m pretty new to all the iPad sync stuff, never even used Link yet @SevenSystems

• @JohnEcho said:
    I just wanted to mark as others,that your work is amazing.
    It's really unique what you pulled off,and how it "invisibly" works with all synth apps that I own at least!
    I have 2 questions though!
    I recently purchased Animoog and im totally amazed by its abilities,it is exactly what I needed!
    Now,I definitely love your keyboard,I use it with isem and Sunrizer and im more that satisfied by the controls,even though I haven't purchased any IAP(plan to).
    In Animoog's case though,the keyboard is probably the best feature about it,or any synth really.
    I was wondering if I can record inside Xequence, playing from the Animoog keyboard.
    That would be a dream to me.
    Do I need to get the Animoog "midi out" IAP,or even your "extended controls" IAP?

Hi John and thanks very much for the kind comments.

I've just researched AniMoog's MIDI functionality and here's what I found:

• You can record Animoog's keyboard into Xequence after buying the "MIDI Expansion Pack".
    • However, you will only be able to record the actual keys played, NOT the up/down movement after touching a key (this is implemented in Animoog through a technology called "Aftertouch", which is currently not supported by Xequence, but I hope to get this in as soon as possible;
    • Note that Animoog's MIDI implementation is rather buggy; after enabling MIDI In in Xequence and setting "Sources" to "Any", you have to kill Animoog (swipe it up from the multitasking screen) and relaunch it in order for Animoog to "see" Xequence in the "MIDI" page of its settings.

I hope to get recording of aftertouch implemented soon, which would enable you to record all aspects of Animoog's keyboard.

• @SevenSystems said:
    What @Janosax said. :) It's just a convenient way to have pre-defined loop regions that are easily selectable.

Brilliant! One of those "Why didn't I think of that?!" moments.

• @gkillmaster yes, I would say so. On iPhone, it is pretty much the only option.

• @wim said:

@dvlmusic said:

@CracklePot said:
    @SevenSystems Have you considered adding Audiobus 3 support so that Audiobus can host Xequence? It could have no Audio output, like how Quantum is hosted in Audiobus. But the benefits are the easy switching between Xequence and the synth apps, plus you get FREE Link start/stop if the hosted app supports Link and the latest Audiobus.

If you could do the same for AUM hosting, that would be great. But for some reason I get the impression that Audiobus is easier to add than IAA, and if that is the case, just having the Audiobus support would be fantastic.

And if neither are really options because of some particulars in the coding of Xequence, then that is all good as well. I can just wait for the updated Link support that you mentioned is on the list already. I know you already have lots of things you want to add to Xequence, so this is more of a suggestion than a request. B)

This would be a sweet addition - I agree that being able to quick switch between AUM and Xequence would be great.

Not to mention the ability to use the MidiFlow filters.

Plus, you'd probably get a bunch of people talking about your app in a huge thread on the Audiobus forums.

• @ksound said:
    An elegant universal sequencer with song mode to drive AUM and Audiobus. A place to play and save the midi for entire songs. With state-saving, I could open an Audiobus session with Xequence and AUM and have everything I needed to create, without having to keep track of the settings and saves in multiple apps.

Thanks for the input, Audiobus integration is still very much on the roadmap, it is a matter of shuffling priorities, and that's sometimes a more difficult task than the actual development :) It isn't always completely clear to me what direction Audiobus is taking, with all the current changes in the iOS music landscape (AUv3, AU MIDI, etc.) -- so I was hesitant to seriously tackle AB integration. But this might be clearing up now.

@SevenSystems Have you considered making Xequence a MIDI AU that can be hosted inside any AU host? This would be much like the way Bram Bos Rozeta plug-ins work, as MIDI sources for other instruments within the host.

It will probably be either AB3 or AU MIDI, not both, I have to watch the time resources... AB3 is much more likely though.

@tja:

I use Xequence as sequencer, in the same way that I use / used modstep as sequencer - I just don't use any other feature of modstep.
    And AudioBus would allow to put lots of things in between Xequence and any MIDI receiver, which wood be fantastic!

Yes that's why it has been planned from the start. I'm just asking everyone to be a bit more patient. The app has been released half a year ago, and a tremendous amount of features have been added since then. It simply isn't feasible to develop at a faster pace with essentially a single developer on the project, while keeping the app stable.

To make it short: I think that AudioBus is by far the more valuable addition to Xequence.

:sunglasses:

• tjatja
    edited April 15 Vote Up1

Please stay concentrated on the sequencer.
    I hope this soooo much :)

The UNIX way to do things:

Build a tool that can do ONE thing, but this one thing as good as possible.

• Interesting discussion, albeit a bit melodramatic. For what it's worth, I'm quite happy with Xequence currently, but I'm not looking for a full featured DAW on my phone. I just needed a quick and intuitive universal linear sequencer with MIDI, and it sounds like that was your original mission. Good luck juggling the newfound demands and expectations.

• edited April 17 Vote Up1

Lot of passion, perhaps too much!!
    As said, @SevenSystems this is your app so it’s your vision, you’re Xequence’s creator and it’s your intelectual property. I think most of us can be kind of « iOS frustrated » as a music platform sometimes, so we can fear that we lost some good apps during their development evolution.
    That being said, some people don’t use midi alone, it’s my case so Xequence is for me a great sequencer tool and a nice midi controller I use it mainly with AUM. But WE still need a complete DAW IMO on iPhone and even on iPad. I find Xequence which is a young app has huge potential and needs to consolidate. What I really need is multi midi recording and chord mode, I know they’re on the map. AU and AB state saving could be very interesting too. But without audio tracks/recording I will still go elsewhere by need. Xequence can evolve, or it can have little brothers apps like AU « studio » or full daw. I prefer iaps, and I’m almost sure it’s less work to go that way than doing whole new apps. I think @SevenSystems perhaps don’t want to be « mister midi sequencer » for its whole life lol, have respect for his devs dreams I think he has nice visions and is also able to listen. Not all devs are opened to dialog that way on forums, so we should take care of that.

• edited April 18 Vote Up1

@SevenSystems Argghh, no support for bank select in a program change? And it appears I can’t even hack it together via CC 0/32 as you don’t allow for CC0 in a controller lane?

Huge bummer... I finally purchased Xequence after being on the fence, and this makes it unusable for my purposes. Is bank select something that could be added to the PC event without too much difficulty? Worst case perhaps you could just add 2 additional text boxes to the PC popup for the 00/32 values?

Besides this issue, the app seems to do most of what I was hoping for (linked parts and part looping especially, the lack of which drive me crazy in Cubasis!)

• Xequence is 21st century BECAUSE it does not abandon the past. Every philosophy, system of government, art form, imo, that does not keep the best of the past is limited and ultimately unworkable over time. Moore's law, I am sorry to say, does not apply to wisdom. In choosing linearity, Seven Systems embraces all western concepts of music, including phrase and loopism. Only jazz musicians would groove on a system that insisted on syncopation as the underlying paradigm. It's just not big enough! Same with the loop and phrase. Could Beethoven thrive in such an environment? Or the next groundbreaking genius?

Meanwhile I have downloaded Xequence and discovered both my iPad 4 iOS 10.3 and iPad 2 iOS 9.3 are not responding to their multitasking protocol! Gestures are on, Spotlight off, but I am in the land of swiping futility! Appreciate any advice on this difficulty. Thanks!

• Just curious, is combi mode kind of like layered and all controlled by a single channel, and multi mode more like true multi timbral with a channel per independent voice?

That's it, basically. Combi mode has a lot of nice tricks, too, like key zones, transpose, detune and velocity triggers per voice, so you can do some very Layr like things with a very un-Layr like cpu hit. Not an AU, though.

• edited May 23 Vote Up1

@SevenSystems Hi Alexander,

A quick question.... how do I filter the midi channel used for recording?

My scenario is that I would like to capture individual incoming data from my Digitakt that is sending out it’s midi data on channels 1-8.

I realise Xequence can only record one track at a time atm, but I would like to set up a project with 8 tracks, one for each midi channel in Xequence so that when I playback the Digitakt I can select which channel Xequence will record.

Probably super simple but my mind is melting in my setup today.

Cheers. :)

• What is the in app purchase for and how much is it? You can no longer see this information in the App Store.

• Awesome!!!! There aren't enough sequencers for the iPhone!! Does it do Audiobus Midi In? That would be perfect!!!