Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• Loving the Xequence workflow with AB3 and AUM
    The state saving bug has been a bit annoying tho @SevenSystems have you gotten anywhere on that issue or is there a way to disable auto load of the auto save on startup?

• edited September 2018

@ruggedsmooth said:
    Loving the Xequence workflow with AB3 and AUM
    The state saving bug has been a bit annoying tho @SevenSystems have you gotten anywhere on that issue or is there a way to disable auto load of the auto save on startup?

I haven't heard about problems anymore for a few weeks, does it still happen for you? Note that the AB3 presets you saved with 1.8 (the first release with AB3 support) cannot be recovered if they have been broken from the start, i.e. they won't even load correctly in the current version of Xequence.

If it is indeed still happening for you with the latest Xequence and Audiobus versions and with newly saved presets, then I'm at a complete loss because I swear I've spent days foolproofing the state saving and restoration code, and it's extremely important to me to keep Xequence essentially free of any serious issues, especially, of course, users losing any kind of data at all.

• @SevenSystems said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    Loving the Xequence workflow with AB3 and AUM

I haven't heard about problems anymore for a few weeks, does it still happen for you? Note that the AB3 presets you saved with 1.8 (the first release with AB3 support) cannot be recovered if they have been broken from the start, i.e. they won't even load correctly in the current version of Xequence.

If it is indeed still happening for you with the latest Xequence and Audiobus versions and with newly saved presets, then I'm at a complete loss because I swear I've spent days foolproofing the state saving and restoration code, and it's extremely important to me to keep Xequence essentially free of any serious issues, especially, of course, users losing any kind of data at all.

It happened to me today, but you are right, it was a previously saved preset. I’ll keep an eye it.

• @SevenSystems - On a different subject - There’s some kind of issue with Link and / or AB3 Start/Stop. Sometimes Xequence starts when pressing play in AB3 or another Link start/stop enabled app, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it stops, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it doesn’t stop, but the AB3 play button for Xequence looks like it should when it’s stopped. Then pressing that button stops Xequence with no change to the button. It’s as though the playing status isn’t always being communicated as it should.

It’s pretty easy to reproduce. If needed I’ll try to do a video showing it happening.

• edited September 2018

@wim said:
    @SevenSystems - On a different subject - There’s some kind of issue with Link and / or AB3 Start/Stop. Sometimes Xequence starts when pressing play in AB3 or another Link start/stop enabled app, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it stops, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it doesn’t stop, but the AB3 play button for Xequence looks like it should when it’s stopped. Then pressing that button stops Xequence with no change to the button. It’s as though the playing status isn’t always being communicated as it should.

It’s pretty easy to reproduce. If needed I’ll try to do a video showing it happening.

Sure, if you find a surefire way to reproduce it, please send me a video.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

I> @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:
    @SevenSystems - On a different subject - There’s some kind of issue with Link and / or AB3 Start/Stop. Sometimes Xequence starts when pressing play in AB3 or another Link start/stop enabled app, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it stops, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it doesn’t stop, but the AB3 play button for Xequence looks like it should when it’s stopped. Then pressing that button stops Xequence with no change to the button. It’s as though the playing status isn’t always being communicated as it should.

Sure, if you find a surefire way to reproduce it, please send me a video.

I can’t seem to nail down a set of steps to reproduce it - yet it happened again today. I had a preset I had reloaded several times successfully. Then I shared it to myself via text message to pick up work on it on my phone. When I opened it on my phone it opened the last Xequence project I had been working on, not the midi from the preset.

So, I thought that it must have something to do with sessions shared via the audiobus servers. But, just now I tried loading the original session on the original device, and it is hosed as well.

So, then I thought maybe the process of sharing the preset is what is trashing it. But then I made a new session, shared it successfully to my phone, and was also able to open it on the original device.

Sorry, I’m at a loss as to how to reproduce it, but it is definitely still happening in some circumstance, possibly relating to sharing the preset. That’s how I discovered it originally and also how it happened today.

I’ll keep trying. In the meantime it’s safest to keep an identifiable save of the Xequence project along with the AB session save.

• @wim thanks very much for the details... I'll try to mess around with it myself again too.

• @SevenSystems not sure if this is viable/too difficult, but check out this feature on reason 10:

Adaptive grid according to zoom :open_mouth:

• I would not like this if it was the default as it is in BM3. I like to be in control myself over the grid settings, and not have to check if they’ve changed when I wasn’t looking. As long as it remembers and keeps whatever settings you have (manual or auto) it’s fine. It bugs me in BM3 that I have to go in and disable the Auto setting constantly.

• We need this awesome „Note Expression“ Feature from Cubase Pro for editing Roli Noise or other Midi MPE tracks. Hopefully we will get this in an Update or similar Functionality in Xequencer or any other Sequencer for the iPad.

• edited September 2018

@Ploe: MPE support is on the roadmap somewhere in the mid-term, and I've noted "Note Expression" (notenotenotenote) as a reference for user interface implementation.

@senhorlampada adaptive grid is something that would not be horribly difficult to add, and it's on the midterm roadmap. (turn-offable, of course! ;))

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Ploe: MPE support is on the roadmap somewhere in the mid-term, and I've noted "Note Expression" (notenotenotenote) as a reference for user interface implementation.

@senhorlampada adaptive grid is something that would not be horribly difficult to add, and it's on the midterm roadmap. (turn-offable, of course! ;))

Awesome news. BTW I seem to have noticed slightly erratic behavior when sending midi to aum with link enabled. Step poly arp unit would go out of time and retrigger randomly when the same behaviour was not noticed with modstep sending midi to aum. Will try to record a clip when I get time. Also for some reason Rosetta arp seemed to be receiving phantom notes but it could be user error so will confirm again when I get time to investigate thoroughly.

• @wim said:
    It bugs me in BM3 that I have to go in and disable the Auto setting constantly.

That sucks :neutral:

• ohhhh mpe with this would be perfect. this is by far the first app i open when creating. it’s my hub of everything > @SevenSystems said:

• Wow! Epic update @SevenSystems .
    Thank you for kicking major ass!
    B)

• I got a weird error after updating, but I chose ‘continue anyway’ and made a New Project, and closed and re-opened the app. It stopped with the ‘error’ after that.
    In case anyone else updates and thinks it is broken, try this.

• @CracklePot sorry to hear. It must have been some incompatibility between the current version of Xequence and your last saved project. Didn't get any problems myself, nor any reports from the beta team, so this is surprising to me.

Did the error occur immediately after opening Xequence after the update, or did you first do something (tap a button, etc.)?

Also, by "It stopped with the error after that", do you mean that the application stopped working, or that the error stopped occuring?

Thanks!

• @SevenSystems said:
    @CracklePot sorry to hear. It must have been some incompatibility between the current version of Xequence and your last saved project. Didn't get any problems myself, nor any reports from the beta team, so this is surprising to me.

Did the error occur immediately after opening Xequence after the update, or did you first do something (tap a button, etc.)?

Also, by "It stopped with the error after that", do you mean that the application stopped working, or that the error stopped occuring?

Thanks!

I launched the app right after updating it. I did have an old project that was auto loading. The error gave a choice to continue or quit and restart. It recommended quitting. I tried that the first couple of times, but the error was reported upon launching the app still, so I then chose to continue. I made a new project and quit, then relaunched the app. It now is working normally. I also suspect it was something fishy with my last project, but it seems to load that project fine now if I open it.
    Anyway, everything is working fine. Just wanted to stave off any panic if anyone else gets the same error immediately after updating.

Thanks again. You are a champion among iOS developers. B)

• edited October 2018

@CracklePot OK thanks a lot :) Crashes (which what you've got effectively is, it is just 'caught') are still unacceptable and I would be very happy if you could send me over that project you had last open before you updated (even better if you haven't modified it since). PM me for further details :)

(unfortunately, due to the EU paranoid privacy bullshit (GDPR) I can't get any crash details anymore from users without employing a skyscraper filled with lawyers).

• @SevenSystems Yes had the error also, doesn’t Xequence inside AB3 let you record from different apps into different tracks ? Or does it merge them into one? Our probably get the IAP anyway but was just wondering.

• Ive been waiting since the weekend for multitrack recording to drop. Everything my Circuit can churn out beatifully and faithfully recorded. I still have to get to grips with the work flow but its going to save me oodles of time. Your IAP are so attractively priced, sir. @SevenSystems

• @Jumpercollins OK, thanks for the report. Did you start Xequence via Audiobus, or directly from the homescreen? This is completely baffling me right now.

Yes, Xequence now has 8 separate Audiobus MIDI In ports, so you can record from up to 8 Audiobus apps at once onto separate tracks.

• @Richtowns said:
    Ive been waiting since the weekend for multitrack recording to drop. Everything my Circuit can churn out beatifully and faithfully recorded. I still have to get to grips with the work flow but its going to save me oodles of time. Your IAP are so attractively priced, sir. @SevenSystems

Oh, that looks like some serious "test case" right there! Glad it's working well :) (if I only could find the damn reason for the initial crash after updating for many users).

• @SevenSystems said:
    @CracklePot sorry to hear. It must have been some incompatibility between the current version of Xequence and your last saved project. Didn't get any problems myself, nor any reports from the beta team, so this is surprising to me.

Thanks!

Same error here, it was auto opening the alpha demo project. Now it is updated, if I load the demo project, then close the app, when I open again it has gone back to the previous project. Is this intended ?

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Jumpercollins OK, thanks for the report. Did you start Xequence via Audiobus, or directly from the homescreen? This is completely baffling me right now.

Yes, Xequence now has 8 separate Audiobus MIDI In ports, so you can record from up to 8 Audiobus apps at once onto separate tracks.

Hi I didn’t have a project loaded at the time, opened it from the Apple apps update screen originally saw the message, cancelled, re opened the app from my home screen, got the message again hit continue and got in. Closed Xequence reopened the message stopped. iOS 12 iPad 9.7 Pro. Opened the app a few times just to check it’s clear now.

• I got it just now loading standalone (not in AudioBus).

I then loaded it in AudioBus and there was no error. The preloaded project was created in AudioBus. Maybe that had something to do with it not liking to be launched in standalone?

However, then I killed everything and loaded standalone with no error. So not sure where that leaves things.

• @AndyPlankton said:

Same error here, it was auto opening the alpha demo project. Now it is updated, if I load the demo project, then close the app, when I open again it has gone back to the previous project. Is this intended ?

Yes that's intentional, it never returns to a demo project. But the auto-opening of the demo project is of course not intended. Still investigating.

• Thanks for this EPIC update only WEEKS after the MASSIVE previous update. You’re gonna have to call the next one GAMECHANGING. :D

• It’s really interesting to see Xequence grow. I’m really hoping we get AU and other DAW features even if their is other competitors.

The thing is Xequence is just so well laid out. Most other DAWs have onscreen keyboards that seem like an afterthought - Xequence is great in this area

• @wim said:
    Thanks for this EPIC update only WEEKS after the MASSIVE previous update. You’re gonna have to call the next one GAMECHANGING. :D

Haha, you're the first one to notice! :D I'm gonna pull it now probably though, a crash right on startup for appearently EVERYONE except ME and my TESTERS isn't too good publicity ;)