Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• @SevenSystems said:

@RajahP said:

@SevenSystems said:
    A little update on what's going on here... :)

Does this mean ‘multi track’ recording?

Yes! And it's zero-setup. Just hit record, and it will automatically create additional tracks for each source / channel combination as needed, and reuse existing tracks if possible.

Great.. looking forward to it..

• @SevenSystems said:

@RajahP said:

@SevenSystems said:

Does this mean ‘multi track’ recording?

Yes! And it's zero-setup. Just hit record, and it will automatically create additional tracks for each source / channel combination as needed, and reuse existing tracks if possible.

:) :) :)

• @wim said:

@tja said:
    So, did that help @RUST( i )K?
    Anything still unclear?

Really nice job with all the explanation and screenshots.

... however, he mentioned AB2, not AB3. Unless that’s a typo then the AB3 midi stuff doesn’t apply. :#

Oh, somehow i did not notice the 2 :o

Will try to repeat this with AB2 tomorrow

• edited September 2018

@tja, I wonder why anyone would want to use a pure MIDI app with AB2... or any app for that matter :smile:

• Totally great and unknown chordal sequencer and explorer.

• Just want to remind everyone to leave updated (or resubmit) ratings for apps that you love. Especially the ones that are so participatory and/or full of feedback. (like but not limited to @SevenSystems )

• @SevenSystems said:
    @tja, I wonder why anyone would want to use a pure MIDI app with AB2... or any app for that matter :smile:

As far as i know, AB2 has a lower latency compared to AB3.
    As for the setup, it is basically the same, just Xequence will run solo or in AUM.

• tjatja
    edited September 2018

@RUST( i )K One more try: AudioBus 2 with Xequence, AUM and Sunrizer in AUM

Audiobus preset 'RUSTIK':
    http://preset.audiob.us/FiqkVbAwimOat7N

And AUM Destination in AUM routed to Sunrizer.

In Xequence, one instrument points to AudioBus, which targets Animoog and the other points to AUM (and in AUM to Sunrizer) - the descriptions are off, from my former project.

You should be able to record the Audio in AUM.

I'm curious about your feedback :-)

• Ah, and AB Remote:

Was to lazy to use the iPhone

• I didn't research properly before jumping on this and now discover it won't slave to external Midi clock. Audiobus won''t slave to Midi clock so it looks like it can't be slaved clock and transport other than from Ableton...... In the quick statrt guide it says "at the moment ! Xequencer doesn't respond to midi clock... so the dev gives hope that clock receive will be implemented

Maybe there's a workaround... would be well pleased to hear of a solution!

• @ElectroHead said:
    I didn't research properly before jumping on this and now discover it won't slave to external Midi clock. Audiobus won''t slave to Midi clock so it looks like it can't be slaved clock and transport other than from Ableton...... In the quick statrt guide it says "at the moment ! Xequencer doesn't respond to midi clock... so the dev gives hope that clock receive will be implemented

There's still Genome MIDI if you need to sync to external MIDI clock today. That's what I use when I need a pure MIDI-only sequencer talking to external gear.

• Thanks for the tip. I don't want to spend money and time getting to grips with another sequencer if the Xeq devs will implement Clock and MMC. I like the interdace of Xequence. Modstep syncs pretty well but is unstable in other areas and crashes. I much prefere the UI on Xequence

• @ElectroHead said:
    Thanks for the tip. I don't want to spend money and time getting to grips with another sequencer if the Xeq devs will implement Clock and MMC. I like the interdace of Xequence. Modstep syncs pretty well but is unstable in other areas and crashes. I much prefere the UI on Xequence

May I ask what your clock source is?

• edited September 2018

@rs2000 said:

s and crashes. I much prefere the UI on Xequence

Sure. Octotrack via iConnect Midi+ . I'm generally very pleased with overall Midi sync of apps to OT...e.g Patterning 1 syncs dead tight.

• @ElectroHead said:
    I didn't research properly before jumping on this and now discover it won't slave to external Midi clock. Audiobus won''t slave to Midi clock so it looks like it can't be slaved clock and transport other than from Ableton...... In the quick statrt guide it says "at the moment ! Xequencer doesn't respond to midi clock... so the dev gives hope that clock receive will be implemented

Maybe adress the developer directly, who is @SevenSystems

• @ElectroHead said:

@rs2000 said:

Sure. Octotrack via iConnect Midi+ . I'm generally very pleased with overall Midi sync of apps to OT...e.g Patterning 1 syncs dead tight.

Similar setup here: Digitakt as sync master to a collection of apps that work well and tight. I guess that it's only a matter of time and a bit of patience - I'm sure that sooner or later Xequence will be able to follow MIDI clock and Status messages. It's a MIDI sequencer so following tempo changes is much more straightforward than with audio tracks.

• @rs2000 said:

@ElectroHead said:

@rs2000 said:

Similar setup here: Digitakt as sync master to a collection of apps that work well and tight. I guess that it's only a matter of time and a bit of patience - I'm sure that sooner or later Xequence will be able to follow MIDI clock and Status messages. It's a MIDI sequencer so following tempo changes is much more straightforward than with audio tracks.

Akexander from Seven Systems replied within a couple of hours, which I really appreeciate. .....Says they'reworking on it, but it will take time. Great news!

• Ok I just grabbed this after a convo with seven systems about using this with sunvox.....i have no idea what I'm doing but hey I got it to trigger sunvox.... Might have to grab SPA too so I can trigger arps in sunvox...or is it doable in xseq

• edited September 2018

Well after a little while playing around... This app is not as hard as I thought it would be to figure out! Built some sequences running it thru zeoon and Ripple maker thru AUM... Deff was fun and sweet to get midi looping audio without having to record the audio... and xseq let's you make variations fast.
    Deff prefer this over cubasis as of now... for midi

I am getting some MAJOR cracking tho...(using most recent iPad pro) Even with just two synths going and just one instrument in xseq ..
    Could be my settings I dunno but I did reboot the iPad and still it's there heavy...

Any solutions?

Also I'm trying to figure out how to change parts quicker, I've been selecting the part, then clicking on loop and pressing part to switch em back n forth... Is there a quicker way and may be even a way to que the next part up to play after each other ?

All in all tho, this is a great thing and very glad I picked it up

• edited September 2018

@reasOne glad you're getting good use out of the app. Let's see:

• Xequence doesn't have a realtime arpeggiator per se, so you would still need something like SPA for that (note though that you can route SPA through Xequence's MIDI Thru and it will always automatically be routed to your current track / instrument, so you never have to reconfigure anything except select a different track in Xequence. Please look up "MIDI Thru" in the manual for more details. It's a VERY important thing to use because it'll increase your productivity tenfold.)

• As an alternative, Xequence has an extremely powerful generative music module, Polyhymnia (In-App purchase), which can be used much like an arpeggiator.

• Unfortunately I can't do anything about the crackling as that's got nothing to do with Xequence (it doesn't do audio and has quite a low resource footprint, so the problem lies with the other apps or iOS)

• about the parts changing thing: I'm not totally sure what you would like to achieve, but if you're looking for something "Ableton style", that is not available... but maybe you could give me a little more detail on what you're looking to do. :)

• i am extremely impressed with the design and implementation of xequence. well done!

my humble feature request would be an independent loop and playback rate per channel. this would be gloriously powerful for live use.

• @wellingtonCres said:
    i am extremely impressed with the design and implementation of xequence. well done!

my humble feature request would be an independent loop and playback rate per channel. this would be gloriously powerful for live use.

Thanks very much, appreciate it. Xequence is not really optimised for live use, however, there's work underway for a separate app that is completely tailored for live use, and I hope to have a preview ready soon :)

Note that you can already loop parts individually by selecting one and then tapping on the "Magic Wand" -> "Loop On". The looping is currently limited to bar resolution (i.e. you can't make the loop shorter than one bar), however that limitation is going to be lifted soon.

Just post any further questions you might have here.

• @SevenSystems said:

Yummy :wink: Digging this already

BTW, regarding folders... will there be possibility to group tracks into folders? So if I have 6 tracks for bass (each with it's own scale), we can group it into one Bass folder?

I seem to recall you mentioning this feature :lol

• @senhorlampada said:

@SevenSystems said:

Yummy :wink: Digging this already

BTW, regarding folders... will there be possibility to group tracks into folders? So if I have 6 tracks for bass (each with it's own scale), we can group it into one Bass folder?

I seem to recall you mentioning this feature :lol

Not yet, but interesting to pursue some day :)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @reasOne glad you're getting good use out of the app. Let's see:

• Xequence doesn't have a realtime arpeggiator per se, so you would still need something like SPA for that (note though that you can route SPA through Xequence's MIDI Thru and it will always automatically be routed to your current track / instrument, so you never have to reconfigure anything except select a different track in Xequence. Please look up "MIDI Thru" in the manual for more details. It's a VERY important thing to use because it'll increase your productivity tenfold.)

• As an alternative, Xequence has an extremely powerful generative music module, Polyhymnia (In-App purchase), which can be used much like an arpeggiator.

• Unfortunately I can't do anything about the crackling as that's got nothing to do with Xequence (it doesn't do audio and has quite a low resource footprint, so the problem lies with the other apps or iOS)

• about the parts changing thing: I'm not totally sure what you would like to achieve, but if you're looking for something "Ableton style", that is not available... but maybe you could give me a little more detail on what you're looking to do. :)

yah im eyeballing that polyhymia, looks like it can do some pretty cool stuff ! and since i feel like xequence is going to play a big role in my music making, itll be cool to have something built by you to work in the environment.

midi pass thru! i always forget about it haha gonna read thru the manual today and refresh on that and how it applys to xeq. thanks for all your help man its def got me moving faster and loving the app more.

and as far as switching parts, i probably am looking for something like ableton.
    but more so just for the creation time , not so much for playing live...but if im working on a new part, i normally go back n forth listening to the old part to make sure they are sounding good with each other, so i like to bounce back n forth between them as i get ideas and make changes..hard to explain, but if it would start playing, after the next beat once you tap on it that would allow for that, but i understand most people probably do not want that

• How do I get rid of just the first bar so that I can shift the pattern over to the left and have it start on what is now the 2, didn't mean to record that extra space in.

• edited September 2018

@reasOne just select the part, tap the Magic Wand in the bottom toolbar, tap "Split", deselect the right part by tapping on it, and then delete (X in the bottom toolbar).

(note that you've got several overlapping parts at that point, which you should first clean up by either creating an additional track (+ button in the track header) and moving the topmost part there, or merging the overlapping parts (select all of them by drawing a small selection rectangle over them (tap + hold over them)) and then selecting Magic Wand -> Join, or by deleting the overlapping part(s)).

• ahhhh ok I was hitting split but it was just cutting it in half and not doing just the one bar, so I'll try tapping on the right !
    Sorry for all the questions haha but this works great just different from what I'm used to ! You rule man thanks for all the help

@SevenSystems said:
    @reasOne just select the part, tap the Magic Wand in the bottom toolbar, tap "Split", deselect the right part by tapping on it, and then delete (X in the bottom toolbar).

(note that you've got several overlapping parts at that point, which you should first clean up by either creating an additional track (+ button in the track header) and moving the topmost part there, or merging the overlapping parts (select all of them by drawing a small selection rectangle over them (tap + hold over them)) and then selecting Magic Wand -> Join, or by deleting the overlapping part(s)).

• Gotta say, I'm loving this and can't believe I waited this long to get it, gonna get the iap stuff too..