Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is anyone interested in knowing a cheap solution for the iPhone 7 (and iPhone 8) no Jack problem?

I posted this already, over in the iPad Musician forum on Facebook, and there was quite a bit of interest. Is anyone here interested as well?

Comments

• Does that DAC have power?

• raised eyebrows in interest

• But what is it?

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Does that DAC have power?

Seems not, but there is a micro USB port on the hub that can be used for power (according to the description on the amazon link)

• @BiancaNeve said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    Does that DAC have power?

Seems not, but there is a micro USB port on the hub that can be used for power (according to the description on the amazon link)

Perfect to plug in a USB battery bank for a portable kit.

• wimwim
    edited September 2017

Looks like it could be a cheap way to keep using my iRig Pro with the iPhone 7.

[edit] actually, maybe not. I remember you can only have one audio device working at the same time

• Sorry, I didn't get a chance to get back to you guys. Yes, @TheMediocritist is correct. It works great on passive power, but can be powered (even by a power bank) if needed. Because I'm lazy, I'll just copy/paste my personal notes to this post, so that you can read what I learned. I hope this helps you guys! :smiley:

I recently went on a search to find a low latency setup for my iPhone 7 Plus. I wanted to use my existing equipment and just add an adapter of some sort. I found something that goes beyond my expectations--a USB hub with a built-in audio interface under $20!! I figured I would just use it when song writing with my midi keyboard. The built-in sound card is based on the CMedia HS-100B which isn't great, but isn't too bad either. I figured could use this and some headphones (or Apple ear buds) and my KMI K-board at the same time (and probably without using any more adapters or cables). I originally thought,”It's not ideal, but it is VERY cheap, and it is portable and it checks all the boxes.” I have done initial testing and have been very surprised and happy! Here's the chip's data specs: https://www.cmedia.com.tw/products/USB20_FULL_SPEED/HS100B

Device info (short version)
    • USB 3.0 with 3 USB ports
    •16 bit 44.1khz/48khz
    •High pass filter 20khz
    •Low pass filter 20khz
    •Signal-to-noise 93db
    •iOS compatible
    •Class compliant
    •Works Passive powered but has USB (micro/mini) input for powering the hub with standard USB charge cable or power bank.
    •Has one mono audio input
    •Has stereo headphone out.
    •Everything is capable of running bus powered but can run active as well.
    •It's not much larger than an Apple Lightning to USB 3 CCK
    •It's under $20 US

They results are fantastic!! I paid about $17 U.S. for this little USB hub/audio interface. It works great!!! I did not yet buy the new lightning to USB 3 interface, but I'm sure it would work fine with it. Instead, I'm using what I already have--a standard lighting to USB CCK adapter that most of us already have. I'm running my KMI K-board and my Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones all passively. If needed, the hub has the ability to run powered with a micro USB in that can be powered by either an AC adapter or a standard power bank. This makes this setup completely mobile, with the ability to charge the device as well (with the new lightning to USB 3 adapter). All done on an iPhone 7 Plus. This should work for any of the iPhone 8 series as well as future devices without the 3.5mm jack. For under $20, this is about as good as it is ever going to get, I suspect. The sound seems to be pretty good from the audio interface too, which surprised me!!

Here's the product: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPMHOY0

• @Audiojunkie said:
    Sorry, I didn't get a chance to get back to you guys. Yes, @TheMediocritist is correct. It works great on passive power, but can be powered (even by a power bank) if needed. Because I'm lazy, I'll just copy/paste my personal notes to this post, so that you can read what I learned. I hope this helps you guys! :smiley:

I recently went on a search to find a low latency setup for my iPhone 7 Plus. I wanted to use my existing equipment and just add an adapter of some sort. I found something that goes beyond my expectations--a USB hub with a built-in audio interface under $20!! I figured I would just use it when song writing with my midi keyboard. The built-in sound card is based on the CMedia HS-100B which isn't great, but isn't too bad either. I figured could use this and some headphones (or Apple ear buds) and my KMI K-board at the same time (and probably without using any more adapters or cables). I originally thought,”It's not ideal, but it is VERY cheap, and it is portable and it checks all the boxes.” I have done initial testing and have been very surprised and happy! Here's the chip's data specs: https://www.cmedia.com.tw/products/USB20_FULL_SPEED/HS100B

Device info (short version)
    • USB 3.0 with 3 USB ports
    •16 bit 44.1khz/48khz
    •High pass filter 20khz
    •Low pass filter 20khz
    •Signal-to-noise 93db
    •iOS compatible
    •Class compliant
    •Works Passive powered but has USB (micro/mini) input for powering the hub with standard USB charge cable or power bank.
    •Has one mono audio input
    •Has stereo headphone out.
    •Everything is capable of running bus powered but can run active as well.
    •It's not much larger than an Apple Lightning to USB 3 CCK
    •It's under $20 US

They results are fantastic!! I paid about $17 U.S. for this little USB hub/audio interface. It works great!!! I did not yet buy the new lightning to USB 3 interface, but I'm sure it would work fine with it. Instead, I'm using what I already have--a standard lighting to USB CCK adapter that most of us already have. I'm running my KMI K-board and my Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones all passively. If needed, the hub has the ability to run powered with a micro USB in that can be powered by either an AC adapter or a standard power bank. This makes this setup completely mobile, with the ability to charge the device as well (with the new lightning to USB 3 adapter). All done on an iPhone 7 Plus. This should work for any of the iPhone 8 series as well as future devices without the 3.5mm jack. For under $20, this is about as good as it is ever going to get, I suspect. The sound seems to be pretty good from the audio interface too, which surprised me!!

Here's the product: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPMHOY0

More conversation on this topic can be found in my original post to the iOS Musicians group here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ipadmusician/permalink/1418430161544927/

• Very nice Audiojunkie. How’s the audio quality from that hub? Have you tried recording via the mic input?

I was looking at a similar device for a project I’m building, but ended up going with a regular powered hub and separate 24/96 USB DAC with stereo out and in.

• @TheMediocritist said:
    Very nice Audiojunkie. How’s the audio quality from that hub? Have you tried recording via the mic input?

I was looking at a similar device for a project I’m building, but ended up going with a regular powered hub and separate 24/96 USB DAC with stereo out and in.

Granted, I set my expectations low, but was surprised that it sounded much better than I expected. :smile:

• Yeah, nice little thing.
    (playback) sounds good.
    dont record yet,
    With the micro usb you could use it with more devices but dont charge the device...
    It works with the usb3 cck too

• Wow, great. Looks like there are several of these out there. Never noticed them. Have you tried the mic input? This line from the description seems a little weird:

Note: The microphone port only supports microphone with TRS jack(3 conductors), does NOT support TS(2 conductors) and TRRS(4 conductors) jacks.

• edited September 2017

@syrupcore said:
    Wow, great. Looks like there are several of these out there. Never noticed them. Have you tried the mic input? This line from the description seems a little weird:

Note: The microphone port only supports microphone with TRS jack(3 conductors), does NOT support TS(2 conductors) and TRRS(4 conductors) jacks.

I haven't had a chance to try the microphone yet (although I have ordered an 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS cable), but the line from the description makes complete sense. It is stating that in order for it to work, you must use a standard TRS jack, not the TS or TRRS jack. See below:

http://www.cablechick.com.au/resources/image/trrs-diagram1.jpg

For detailed information about each, read the following:

https://www.provideocoalition.com/ts-trs-trrs-trrrs-combating-the-misconnection-epidemic/

• @syrupcore said:
    Wow, great. Looks like there are several of these out there.

Yes, I had my eye on a couple of different ones. The thing that made me choose this one over the others is the fact that this hub can be made active if needed (through either AC adapter or even Power bank). You never know when something might change to require active power. :wink: )

• Good stuff. Cheers Audiojunkie.