Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IK Multimedia Syntronik

Comments

• @JGY I’ve paid more than $40 before for mind control effects. Not many have sounded this good, but several have felt better.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    @JGY I’ve paid more than $40 before for mind control effects. Not many have sounded this good, but several have felt better.

Weird isn't it? But I never bought half a gram for 40 and thought how many apps I could be buying instead...currencies and times change etc.

• edited September 2017

I kinda missed that the "synths" all have exactly the same filters and parameters. I'm such a graphics whore....:/ But still, if the samples are good, the filters/parameters/effects that are available should be enough to create loads of other content. I'll buy it when they've sorted out the knob/value issues.

• Jordan Rudess Demos Syntronik - Part 2

Jordan Rudess Syntronik Demo - Part 1

• If I could play like Jordan and had a much larger iPad this would definitely be worth 20 dollars.

• Ok, I went and bought the lot. An hour and a quarter later it’s downloaded and installed!

It’s big, but boy does it sound good! Yes, they are not full synths, but you have quite a bit of variation available with the control given.

Did I say it sounds good! Some really great sound choices.

Consider me impressed :)

• edited September 2017

I see from Jordan's demo that Eric Norlander was involved in making the presets - I once loaned a keyboard to him for a gig as his had gone wrong. Man, did he hit those keys hard, it's no wonder his broke!

Regarding the role of samples in this instrument, I think of them as providing the Oscillators, as you don't really have much direct control over these in the instrument panel. So the samples provide stuff like the raw waveforms, different pitch combination, things like PWM, sync, etc as unique to each instrument, then with the ability to process that through a conventional (and pretty extensive) synth panel.

It's a great choice of synths too. Pretty much all the classics. No DX7 but that used a totally different synthesis method so I can see why that is not there (and the "99" has some FM type sounds). If there is one classic synth that I wish had also been included, it would be the Roland D50.

But overall, great job IKMultimedia and extra kudos for making this available on IOS!

• I'm confused really. Is it 17 or 38 instruments.....

"IK Multimedia bring us their latest app Syntronik with 17 virtual synths to recreate the iconic sounds of 38 synths, all in your iPad"

• There are 17 instruments presented in Syntronik, but some of these derive their sounds from more than one related synths. So for example the V-80 which is most closely related to the Yamaha CS-80, also has samples from the GX-1 and the CS-01 which used similar synthesis methods. If you have a look at IK's blurb, you can see which instruments are based on which synths.

• I hope @ikmultimedia will be out MODO Bass?.......

• edited September 2017

@BiancaNeve said:
    I'm confused really. Is it 17 or 38 instruments.....

"IK Multimedia bring us their latest app Syntronik with 17 virtual synths to recreate the iconic sounds of 38 synths, all in your iPad"

There's 1 synth (or sample engine if you'd like) with 17 different skins. Fairly basic with the 2 envelopes for filter and amp, 1 LFO with filter/pitch/pan as destinations. The "oscillator" section consist of the multisampled preset. There is a tuning knob on the first "oscillator" as well as a 2nd oscillator button, but that 2nd oscillator just doubles up on the sound, allowing you to detune it all a bit to get a fatter sound. It's a simple chorus effect basically. The pitch is usually used when there's something to pitch against, like a 2nd oscillator (the current one follows the pitch of the main oscillator here), but you only have 1 "proper" osc. This is where the multis come in I guess, you can have up to 4 synths/sample engines running

Edit: I should say the filters are really nice, and there's plenty to choose from. Plus the effects which also sounds really nice. That along with the multis should provide lotsa fun. But for the love God fix the knobs/parameters thing, IK (and add another keyboard that's in-between small & large:)

• Yes it is getting over hyped for sure. Guilty of that myself a bit I believe. While it is definitely over hyped at least it sounds nice even if extremely over priced.

• So has anyone discovered how to select MIDI channel yet? And how about sync options for the arp and lfo? @ikmultimedia ?

• @ChrisG said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    I'm confused really. Is it 17 or 38 instruments.....

There's 1 synth (or sample engine if you'd like) with 17 different skins. Fairly basic with the 2 envelopes for filter and amp, 1 LFO with filter/pitch/pan as destinations. The "oscillator" section consist of the multisampled preset. There is a tuning knob on the first "oscillator" as well as a 2nd oscillator button, but that 2nd oscillator just doubles up on the sound, allowing you to detune it all a bit to get a fatter sound. It's a simple chorus effect basically. The pitch is usually used when there's something to pitch against, like a 2nd oscillator (the current one follows the pitch of the main oscillator here), but you only have 1 "proper" osc. This is where the multis come in, you can have up to 4 synths/sample engines running

I think this is a pretty level-headed assessment. The controls are essentially the same for every synth, but the samples used as "oscillators" change. That means that you do get a wide sound palette, but nowhere near the same modulation or routing options that the original synths offer, just the same basic options on each skin/synth.

So overall it's pretty limited, although the option to use (for example) the modeled Moog filter on a Juno is nice.

It does sound nice, and there is a wide range of sounds on offer, but I think I would prefer to use some of the many many synths I already own. For Moog type sounds there is Model 15, for Roland type sounds there is Sunrizer, for Oberheim there is iSem, and for sheer awesomeness that doesn't really sound like a classic synth there is Zeeon. For me personally this doesn't really bring any new sausages to the barbecue. Mind you if someone does something really cool with it I'm all ears.

• Quit reminding me that I wish I'd invested in Zeeon instead.

• Yeah this is no stand alone synth in its purest terms. Its a rompler for sure. Yet, it is a very decent rompler for very little money per usable sound (Y.M.M.V.)

The release price is less than IK Multimedia are asking for the Pro set in SampleTank. To my ears, this is a very usable set of sounds and quite easy to knock many variations up using the set of synth controls and fx.

Yes this cannot do what you can do with a proper modelled synth, yet I have them too! Just as Neo Soul Keys has a lovely set of sounds with some control, so this app has the same, but aimed at different sounds.

Remember, you can have the best of both worlds. Because Zeeon is great, no need to discount or belittle this IMO wonderful set of sounds for what is very little money in relation to what many other apps offer.

• Yeah, I'm not intending to belittle. I think if you're after a bunch of classic synth sounds this is a high-quality offering, but it's not for me, personally, at the moment. It's quite possible that Appaholism will get the better of me at some point in the future though...

• @Audiojunkie said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yeah man even my old Air 1 can still run this beautiful synth!

Really wish I could gift you one bro.

@Tritonman said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@JonLewis said:
    This is ipad only, right?

Unfortunately.......... I wish it was universal....

We wish you had an iPad also. :D

Nah! I appreciate it, I really do! But I LIKE using my iPhone. :smiley: I just have to moan and groan when cool apps come along that don't support my platform of choice. :wink:

7" across is hardly a platform :P

• @richardyot said:
    Yeah, I'm not intending to belittle. I think if you're after a bunch of classic synth sounds this is a high-quality offering, but it's not for me, personally, at the moment. It's quite possible that Appaholism will get the better of me at some point in the future though...

Not aimed at just yourself :)

I do think it’s important that people ‘Get’ what this app is. It maybe easy for some to mistake this for multiple ‘synths’. This it is not in the truest sense.

So, let’s call it what it is - a rompler! Albeit a rompler with a little more quality and ability than some romplers have and a little less than some others.

Forget the graphics for different synths - just flash and glitter! It’s some decent sample sets with some decent modelled filters and envelopes basically.

For those that think they can’t get a reasonable amount of variety from each sample, ask yourself this - Do you program from scratch or just alter filter and envelopes? Surprising how much you can do altering just what is on offer here. For many, they may find more mileage from this one app than just fiddling with a few settings on a ‘proper’ synth ;)

• Ok Doug your videos of Syntronik helped me decide. I got the lot and although they haven't installed yet due to cell data limits, I'm really glad I got them all. Now I need to delete stuff to make room for these awesome sounds!

@thesoundtestroom said:
    Here is my demo and tutorial for the free version, full version demos will follow over the next few weeks since I'll probably cover one or two instruments at a time like I am doing with the desktop version

• @Audiojunkie said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Only problem I find with romplers is it's difficult to come up with new sounds of your own, you're just tweaking samples a bit, so you're very reliant on presets.

If I understand it correctly, the samples are just the oscillators. If that's true, these are very much synthesizers. Many, many software (and hardware synthesizers as well) use this method to allow very unique sound palates, textures and timbres, while maintaining the standard analog-style subtractive synthesis. It just really depends on how it has been implemented within this package. And, unfortunately, since I use an iPhone exclusively and there is currently no iPhone support, I am unable to find out without reading about the experiences of those on the forum that have purchased it. :-(

@10-20MB per preset...seems lik ethere is more than just the OSC's sampled.

• @supadom said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yeah man even my old Air 1 can still run this beautiful synth!

Really wish I could gift you one bro.

@Tritonman said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@JonLewis said:
    This is ipad only, right?

Unfortunately.......... I wish it was universal....

We wish you had an iPad also. :D

Nah! I appreciate it, I really do! But I LIKE using my iPhone. :smiley: I just have to moan and groan when cool apps come along that don't support my platform of choice. :wink:

7" across is hardly a platform :P

Different strokes for different folks :wink:

• This is the first "synth(s)" in some years I've just straight passed up. Simply not interesting.

• The first app in months I really want to buy.

• it's so weird the response of this synth. Some people are going crazy for it, while others have no interest.
    As a person that loves to did deep in synthesis and tweaking, I originally had no interest. Then I tried the free version on desktop. I started playing sounds, and realized these where the sounds i had heard in my childhood watching movies in the 80's and 90's. Which I had thought was cool, but still not that interested, but then I discovered the effects section. these synths ,with really a nice effects rack, gave me a new perspective. then I started sending these synths into modern effects chains, and with that, I was done. it's so much fun! To me the simplicity of the synths combined with more complex effects chains is a killer combo. love it

• @eross said:
    it's so weird the response of this synth. Some people are going crazy for it, while others have no interest.
    As a person that loves to did deep in synthesis and tweaking, I originally had no interest. Then I tried the free version on desktop. I started playing sounds, and realized these where the sounds i had heard in my childhood watching movies in the 80's and 90's. Which I had thought was cool, but still not that interested, but then I discovered the effects section. these synths ,with really a nice effects rack, gave me a new perspective. then I started sending these synths into modern effects chains, and with that, I was done. it's so much fun! To me the simplicity of the synths combined with more complex effects chains is a killer combo. love it

Can appreciate the comment about the sounds of 80s and 90s, that’s probably why I like it so much lol

• edited September 2017

ok downloaded free one.

• @DeVlaeminck said:
    So has anyone discovered how to select MIDI channel yet? And how about sync options for the arp and lfo? @ikmultimedia ?

This is a question I have as well @ikmultimedia or @IK_Multimedia - does this app work with coremidi and how is the midi-in channel set?

• @eross said:
    it's so weird the response of this synth. Some people are going crazy for it, while others have no interest.

Just curious, what chain of effects are you using?

• @tja said:

@eross said:

Just curious, what chain of effects are you using?

I tried lots of them running my ipad audio into abelton and throwing everything at it. replicant 2, izotope trash 2 , ohmicide, i recorded some audio and loaded it i. battery from Ni and timestretched and mangled it up. I can't remember what the company name( they make modular gear too) but it had some some granular, delay, pitch shifting effects etc. I even loaded some samples into Daniel James' kontakt instrument project Bravo instrument, and made some cool rythms out of that. so much fun.