Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tuner app to replace ClearTune?

I've been using ClearTune for a long time - since 2009 I think.

As it seems to have been abandoned since 2012 the chances of an update seem slim.

What would you recommend instead?

Comments

• edited September 2017

Try the TonalEnergy tuner app. Works great, from the ThumbJam dev

• TonalEnergy is nice, or maybe Peterson's iStrobosoft. Too bad they couldn't get their act together to make Cleartune compatible with iOS 11.

• edited September 2017

@ricksteruk said:

The Snail

Key features

• Precise audio analysis and instrument tuning in two modes.
    • Snail view for a sophisticated visual representation of root note and overtone structures.
    • Tuner view to tune instruments and to control pitches of voices and other sources.
    • Fast access guitar tuning (GT) mode.
    • Split window settings menu.
    • Visual gain and mic gain controllers.
    • Switchable auto detection.
    • Touch sine tuning oscillator.
    • 2 color modes: coherency index and magnitude.
    • Adjustable grid range (octaves).
    • Setup for transposing instruments.
    • Many customizable parameters like tuning reference, frequency tracking and audio window size.

• I can't imagine ever having a more useful tuner than TonalEnergy.

• I have been using tunable recently:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tunable-tuner-metronome-and-recorder/id608540795?mt=8

Nice little toolkit besides the tuner.

• Plus TonalEnergy supports Audiobus and IAA, as well as Ableton Link for the metronome. Pretty sure you won't find all that elsewhere :)

• TE is very feature rich...but I don't know how to use it properly :|

• @AndyPlankton said:
    TE is very feature rich...but I don't know how to use it properly :|

It is one of those apps where you only use as much of it as you need, since it was designed for a lot of use cases in mind. I'm happy to help direct you to the parts that might work best for your specific needs, either here or at [email protected].

• @sonosaurus said:

@AndyPlankton said:

It is one of those apps where you only use as much of it as you need, since it was designed for a lot of use cases in mind. I'm happy to help direct you to the parts that might work best for your specific needs, either here or at [email protected].

:) ... ok

I am trying to use it for tuning vocal samples....which are not monotone, so need to be able to build/see a 'map' of the pitches detected in a phrase.
    I am currently playing the samples from AUM as it has the fine pitch control, but can use most of the popular apps if needed.

• I've been using iStrobosoft successfully since 2008.

• Some interesting apps here to consider... but so many features on offer.
    I simply want a tuner with an easy to read interface that works well and quickly... like hit the app icon and then start tuning. Ideally no more button pressing than that.

I suppose I could live with one more button press ;) but not two or three.

• @ricksteruk , TonalEnergy opens directly to the tuner waiting for input. It is the only tuner I have kept through the years.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@sonosaurus said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I am trying to use it for tuning vocal samples....which are not monotone, so need to be able to build/see a 'map' of the pitches detected in a phrase.
    I am currently playing the samples from AUM as it has the fine pitch control, but can use most of the popular apps if needed.

Hmm, that seems to be a very specific use case.... what are you doing with the samples after you get this information? Is it that you really need an editor that can analyze and correct them? Anyway, in TET, on the Analysis page use the Waveform/Pitch view, and you can load up the file (which you can import via Open In..) in the internal player (swipe right from the left edge and press the folder button), or use AB/IAA to feed it in from somewhere else, set a time span that will fit all you want to see at once, and then play the audio. You'll see a pitch plot (cents off) over time with segments where it detects new notes. Then you can double-tap to freeze the plot so you can read off the info when you need to. It's probably not perfect, but I'm not sure what you're doing with the info.

• Thanks for the advice folks. I’ve gone for TotalEnergy. Just tried it out and it works really well - I tuned up an unplugged fender telecaster and it works brilliantly. If it can tune up an unplugged electric guitar the app must be doing something right :smile:

• Having spent a bit more time with TotalEnergy I’m even more happy with it. Looks like it could be useful for when I feel like some practice bowing scales on my double bass.

Also my next question was going to be “anyone know a good FFT freq analysis app for identifying PA feedback squeal frequencies“. But seems that TotalEnergy has that covered too!

TotalEnergy = TotalBargain :smile: thanks for another great app @sonosaurus

• ToNal energy, not total;-)

• edited September 2017

@Munibeast said:
    ToNal energy, not total;-)

Lol. My bad. That must’ve been why it took me ages to find it in the App Store.

• @sonosaurus said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@sonosaurus said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Hmm, that seems to be a very specific use case.... what are you doing with the samples after you get this information? Is it that you really need an editor that can analyze and correct them? Anyway, in TET, on the Analysis page use the Waveform/Pitch view, and you can load up the file (which you can import via Open In..) in the internal player (swipe right from the left edge and press the folder button), or use AB/IAA to feed it in from somewhere else, set a time span that will fit all you want to see at once, and then play the audio. You'll see a pitch plot (cents off) over time with segments where it detects new notes. Then you can double-tap to freeze the plot so you can read off the info when you need to. It's probably not perfect, but I'm not sure what you're doing with the info.

That sounds like what I am looking for......I'll give it a go....

Is it that you really need an editor that can analyze and correct them?

Yes....melodyne on the cheap :) trying to do it manually

• The Snail also sounds good.
    Anybody able to compare this and TonalEnergy?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@sonosaurus said:

@AndyPlankton said:

The snail tuner from IrcamLab works great for what you are looking to do. Huge discount on the iOS version compared to the desktop version!

• @ricksteruk said:
    I've been using ClearTune for a long time - since 2009 I think.

As it seems to have been abandoned since 2012 the chances of an update seem slim.

Same here loved clear tune.... total energy tuner works well too...in fact I used Cleartune a lot for vocal interval training...