Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Advice - interface for iPad air 2

Hi all,

I'm new to the scene and the posts I've found about this are quite old. Therefore I'd appreciate some up to the minute advice:

I have an iPad Air 2 and would like to get a MIDI/Audio interface that powers/charges the iPad at the same time as using it. I can't imagine why anyone would want to run a session on battery power!

I've found items like the Focusrite and Aleisis units, but I'm not sure which is best.

Thanks,
James

Comments

• Get the Iconnectivity Iconnectaudio4+. It charges the iPad and gives you 4 ins/4 outs + 1 headphone out. It also has a midi in and and an out. It's smaller sibling the iconnectivity Iconnectaudio2+ has the same features as well but I don't own one so I cant comment on it. Mind you the advanced audio routing on these interfaces come with a learning curve that is a bit steep.

• Have a look at iConnectAudio4+ too which is great, but takes a little time to master all the routing possibilities.

• I prefer a capable unit that I have to learn, than a simple one with less potential.

How does the iConnectaudio4 charge the iPad? I saw that the Focusrite is a dock that you plug your iPad into. But the iConnect doesn't have this? Is it a lightening cable?

Thanks!

• edited September 2017

@jameslondon74 said:
    I prefer a capable unit that I have to learn, than a simple one with less potential.

How does the iConnectaudio4 charge the iPad? I saw that the Focusrite is a dock that you plug your iPad into. But the iConnect doesn't have this? Is it a lightening cable?

Thanks!

It can charge iOS devices with the supplied lightening cable. Both the slots on the Ica4+ charge at 1A and 2.1A respectively. So technically it can charge 2 devices simultaneously. I only have one cable and use the normal camera connection kit for my older 30 pin ipad3 so haven't been able to test simultaneous charging but it definitely charges my air2 with the supplied cable.

That being said. Being able to route audio between 2 devices is sublime. I currently route 12 channels of audio from my iPad Air2 into my PC while keeping it charged. Which is fantastic. I also have 4 physical inputs heading to my PC at the same time.

• Yeah it's an included lightning cable

• Thanks guys. I was tempted by the Focusrite dock slot for convenience, but this sounds awesome. Out of interest, what keyboard controllers do you use?

• yes, the iCA4+ comes with a special Lightning to Interface cable that fully charges the iPad.
    The 'smaller sibbling' mentioned above (iCA2+) does not come with that cable included, which is a 40 bucks add-on and no powersupply.
    That makes the iCA4+ a better value imho as those 2 extra channes are very convenient to have in a lot of situations.

• edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2017

I like it so much I bought 2 :)
    I can charge an Air2 and a mini 2 at once from one iCA4 but usually I'm connected to a PC with the Air2.
    I think a fixed dock sounds like a good idea in theory but in practice you are stuck with the placement of it. With this lightning cable option you can decide how to place the ipad, on a stand/clamp etc

• I use Novation Audiobox and another cheap Chinese thingy when on traveling.

iConnect gave me a headache and was not my cup of tea.

I don't want to rely on the iPad to handle something else. I am actually attempting to lessen app loads with xmore devices or hardware, so another app making my whole set up contingent upon the ipad is not best for me.

I don't use much programmed MIDI that I need it going all over anyway.

My program MIDI consists of the live notes I record into Genome or Modstep and very rarely StepPoly or some other ARP.

Everyone has their own goals.

• edited September 2017

I have this one.Very cheap,very reliable,sounds good.Doesn't charge the ipad but if you use a powered lightning-USB adapter between you can choose from a wide range of class compliant interfaces on the market.Everything i use (The Behringer,an Edirol USB interface and two Machines with USB Midi) is plugged into a powered hub and it works without problems. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC404HD

• edited September 2017

@RUST( i )K said:
    I use Novation Audiobox and another cheap Chinese thingy when on traveling.

I don't want to rely on the iPad to handle something else. I am actually attempting to lessen app loads with xmore devices or hardware, so another app making my whole set up contingent upon the ipad is not best for me.

My program MIDI consists of the live notes I record into Genome or Modstep and very rarely StepPoly or some other ARP.

It's kind of funny really. I owned the audiohub for over a year before I switched to my Ica4+. Basically the opposite of you lol. Use the Ica4+ basically every day but the audiohub only if I have no choice. Definitely looks like one man's trash is another man's treasure in this case. (With both interfaces being each other's trash/treasure for either of us.)

To be fair I have a permanent config in my Ica4+ so I almost never have to use the iconfig app whatsoever. I haven't changed it's settings in over 2 months in fact.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    I use Novation Audiobox and another cheap Chinese thingy when on traveling.

It's kind of funny really. I owned the audiohub for over a year before I switched to my Ica4+. Basically the opposite of you lol. Use the Ica4+ basically every day but the audiohub only if I have no choice. Definitely looks like one man's trash is another man's treasure in this case. (With both interfaces being each other's trash/treasure for either of us.)

To be fair I have a permanent config in my Ica4+ so I almost never have to use the iconfig app whatsoever. I haven't changed it's settings in over 2 months in fact.

Tomato

Tamoto

;)

• I like the look of the iConnect Audio 2. Feels like it's the right price / amount of connections for me.

• One other thing, I REALLY like the look of the M-Audio Code 61. Any idea whether this will work with the iConnect ok?

• The IK Multimedia iRig Pro range will charge your device (with the optional PSU 3A charger).
    Smaller than the iConnect, and will also run on batteries if you need to go mobile.

• Also the Apogee range, which are best-in-class, but don't have midi IO.

• edited September 2017

@jameslondon74 said:
    I like the look of the iConnect Audio 2. Feels like it's the right price / amount of connections for me.

Keep in mind the audio 2 does not come with either the charging cable nor the power adapter. Those items are separate. The price difference between the 2 becomes a lot less once you factor that in. Also the audio 2 doesn't have USB host ability. So you cannot connect any midi controllers to it. You'd have to use a hub in the chain before it and lose the charging ability as well.

• Keep in mind the audio 2 does not come with either the charging cable nor the power adapter. Those items are separate. The price difference between the 2 becomes a lot less once you factor that in. Also the audio 2 doesn't have USB host ability. So you cannot connect any midi controllers to it. You'd have to use a hub in the chain before it and lose the charging ability as well.

Ah. Well that rules the iConnect out then. What I'd like is:

• charging the iPad while in use
    • Midi connection for a keyboard controller
    • Audio IN for microphones / external synth hardware
  • Oh, by the way - I need OLD style MIDI.

• @jameslondon74 said:

Keep in mind the audio 2 does not come with either the charging cable nor the power adapter. Those items are separate. The price difference between the 2 becomes a lot less once you factor that in. Also the audio 2 doesn't have USB host ability. So you cannot connect any midi controllers to it. You'd have to use a hub in the chain before it and lose the charging ability as well.

Yes the iconnectAudio4 does all that. It has a midi din in and out and you can add more midi ports by adding onto the USB hub port.

• @jameslondon74 said:
    One other thing, I REALLY like the look of the M-Audio Code 61. Any idea whether this will work with the iConnect ok?

I recently bought the Code 49 and it works flawlessly with the iConnect Audio 4. It's a really nice controller.

• For a dock with 5-pin midi I have a behringer is-202. It charges and it's ok for audio and guitar inputs. I moved up to the focusrite dock that does basically the same stuff, except it's a the little square USB midi connection not the 5-pin. Both worked with my Samson Carbon 49 keyboard, the focusrite connection powers my keyboard too. And I think the focusrite sounds better than the behringer.

• edited September 2017

@jameslondon74 said:

i think you failed to understand my statement. the audio2 doesn't do that. but the audio4 does. you can even connect upto 7 different usb midi devices to it using a usb hub connected to the usb host port. that is in addition to the physical midi in/out din ports.

• For what it's worth. I have the Alesis iodock. The first model. 2 - 1/4 inch/XLR ins. MIDI. Balanced out and charges your device. I use the Apple 30 pin to lightening adapter with a folded piece of cardboard underneath the Air2 to take up the slack. Works for me.