Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which song do you wish you wrote?

Any time, any genre, any artist. But, and it's a big but…
You have to have honestly been able to have written it and recorded it. It must be within your scope of skill and style and all that stuff. Okay then, a little bit beyond your scope - we'll allow that. Okay then, a little bit more.

Which song do you wish you wrote?

Comments

• This is mine:

• The Turkish Song of the Damned (Pogues)

• edited September 2017

It's a good question and an interesting one. I would like to see the list I would have made over the years. For a long time I would have said Memory Motel by the The Stones, but (and this is where the interest lies) those days of feigned weariness have been overtaken by the real thing and so Bonnie Prince Billy's I See A Darkness (hat tip to The Professor).

• "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer". It's the absolute most abysmal, trite, and stupid gimmicky Christmas song ever written, and I wish I was the lucky bastard that wrote it. The royalties the man who wrote it receives each and every year is in the six figures (and I do mean after taxes and after other people get their cut), and so he was able to retire early. Some Canadian animation company created a horrifyingly stupid holiday special around the song, and licensing means even more royalties and revenue. It's astronomical. All I need is that one hit that'll rake in the annual dough, and boom chika boom, I'll be set for life. :sunglasses:

• There's also this:

But in all honesty, it is way beyond my capability.

• "Loose" by the Stooges. Within my ability, but sort of a perfect rock song.

• Happy birthday. The royalties, the royalties!

• Have to admit, my initial ideas on reading the thread title were very in-line with @jwmmakerofmusic's idea. Then, Johnny had to go and make all real with one of my favorite songs ever.

The caveat definitely makes it hard. Like, with the Will Oldham tune, I can sing a warble and play simple stuff on the acoustic guitar but I'm about a solar system away from being able to represent those sentiments with English.

Also, damn, there are so many songs I wish I'd written. Most outta my league.

Gotta pick one so... It was definitely outside of the adjacent possible for me to make this when it was released but less so today so I'll go with My Bloody Valentine's "To Here Knows When"

• Baby one more time

• Waterloo Sunset

• edited September 2017

Some great tunes already!

I'm going to go with These Days by Jackson Browne. Eighteen year old me is cringing at current me right now but screw that punk kid. "Don't confront me with my failures, I've not forgotten them." Nuff said.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

I'm going to go with These Days by Jackson Browne. Eighteen year old me is cringing at current me right now but screw that punk kid. "Don't confront me with my failures, I've not forgotten them." Nuff said.

A very fine choice Mister Luke. And as for the kid, I think life is a matter of constant revision...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

A very fine choice Mister Luke. And as for the kid, I think life is a matter of constant revision...

Years?
    I experience that in three day increments.

• Other songs will come the the fore, but the first one that comes immediately to mind is XTC's 'Mayor Of Simpleton' - and there are plenty of others from their catalog that I wish I had written.

• Spem in alium- Tallis

• Autechre - Clipper

• I totally ignored the "within your scope and skill" nonsense of course.

• I've had that song in my head all day! Been watching old Stooges stuff on YouTube for some reason lately.

@ALB said:
    "Loose" by the Stooges. Within my ability, but sort of a perfect rock song.

• Hmm, interesting question. There are so many possible answers, so I'll just go with what springs to mind first, at this early hour of the day.

Within ability (just about)

• Safe From Harm by Massive Attack

Way beyond ability

• Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
  • edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    Last Christmas for royalties and because it annoys the fuck out of everyone each year.

That is the worst song in the whole world.

• @raindro said:

@Max23 said:
    Last Christmas for royalties and because it annoys the fuck out of everyone each year.

That is the worst song in the whole world.

Really? Have you never heard Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks? Super depressing.

• edited September 2017

This simple beauty, never officially released, but his best song.

I can't keep up with most of Dylan's stream of consciousness word spitting, and prefer the Infidels right up to present day Dylan era, but I do know I could've written this one.

• Mmmm...

I think it goes without saying we have to forge our own path and let our influences nudge us down that road and not lead us...BUT, playing along I gotta go with:

•For slow/ballad type song:

"How Can Mend A Broken Heart" by the BeeGees, they of course are forever smeared with the "disco" image but they were extraordinary songwriters. The chord progression and release of the chorus is Lennon/McCartney territory, really great song that survives without the record, as some songs are more the record than a guitar & vocal at the kitchen table song.

•For up tempo/rock type song:

"Bargain" by the Who. This like 96% of the Who's output is a Pete Townshend song and everything the cat was writing during the Lifehouse/Who's Next era was incredible. Merging romantic love with spiritual love & relaying the sacrifices that will be given for love create such a beautiful metaphor. Topping it off with a jab at the possesive consumer life we all lead, where unfortunately money is all too often at the center of our survival & mental/physical comfort is genius. One of the most underrated songs ever.

• Within my scope....writing lyrics and so...mmhhhh.....what about this :D

Damn...now i have another 90´s flashback :o

• I bought a product
    I never use it

• Are Friends Electric

• Tricky's "Maxinquaye" Album.

• Sleep on the left side
    Keep your sword hand free

• What ever song that has earned the most royalties I don't give a damn what it sounds like.