Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Advanced Guitar scales

Hi, is there any iOS app where you can view and change alternate scales, tuning each string to the user's liking? And if possible with 7 or 8 strings?
Thanks

Comments

• @ronaldobc said:
    Hi, is there any iOS app where you can view and change alternate scales, tuning each string to the user's liking? And if possible with 7 or 8 strings?
    Thanks

Can I ask what is the appeal or advantage to a 7 or 8 string guitar? I'm honestly curious as to what makes people go for them.

• this is one of my favorite scale apps. I don't k now if it is capable of any 7 or 8 string scale variations. But.........It's got just about any scale you could ever want to play. It's fee-nom-in-all!

http://appcrawlr.com/ipad/star-scales-hd-for-guitar

• edited September 2017

Take a look at Guitar Toolkit. It supports 6 and 7 string with lots of alt turnings, although, I don't think you can customize tunings. The real plus, for me, is that you can choose a scale and harmonize it, then pick and choose chords to add to a chord sheet. Not sure if it's 64 bit though....I hope so, as it is a long standing staple for me.

• Guitar Gravitas might be worth a look. Its free to try.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-store/id1171417699?mt=8

• @CracklePot said:
    Guitar Gravitas might be worth a look. Its free to try.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-store/id1171417699?mt=8

Wow, 7 strings, but very cool!

• @oat_phipps said:

Can I ask what is the appeal or advantage to a 7 or 8 string guitar? I'm honestly curious as to what makes people go for them.

They have more notes on them. If you need more notes, then you need more strings.

• @funjunkie27 said:
    Take a look at Guitar Toolkit. It supports 6 and 7 string with lots of alt turnings, although, I don't think you can customize tunings. The real plus, for me, is that you can choose a scale and harmonize it, then pick and choose chords to add to a chord sheet. Not sure if it's 64 bit though....I hope so, as it is a long standing staple for me.

You can add custom tunings.

• Thanks @wim. That hits all the points from the OP aside frim 8 string then. Do you know if it's 64 bit, or if it's in the works?

• Last update Oct. 5 2016 so I assume so.

• @oat_phipps said:

@ronaldobc said:
    Thanks

In my case, I opted for a hybrid model, with 3 bass strings and 5 guitar strings.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@oat_phipps said:

They have more notes on them. If you need more notes, then you need more strings.

I'm just gonna disagree with that mentality and leave it at that.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@oat_phipps said:

No problem. This is a lot more fun than hanging out in a park on Sundays, believe me!

• @ronaldobc said:

@oat_phipps said:

@oat_phipps said:

No problem. This is a lot more fun than hanging out in a park on Sundays, believe me!

My reply was directed at ronald, not you. Very interesting video. I can't imagine learning to play one, even with a small bit of classical training, after watching that.

• Guitarist's Reference is great.
    http://www.guitaristsreference.com

• at a certain point you should probably just memorize what notes comprise the scale and what notes are on the added strings. remember that the guitar is the simplest instrument in the world to transpose. but figuring it out on your own would be a good exorcise for better understanding the neck.

• @ozmot said:
    at a certain point you should probably just memorize what notes comprise the scale and what notes are on the added strings. remember that the guitar is the simplest instrument in the world to transpose. but figuring it out on your own would be a good exorcise for better understanding the neck.

Yes, you're right. But my goal is rather to visually test other alternative tunings by analyzing the practicality of chord shapes for simultaneous realization with some bass line. (3 strings bass + 5 guitar strings).

• @oat_phipps said:

It may seem overly simplistic, but what @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr says is more or less accurate. A great deal of progressive metal is tuned much lower than standard (E) tuning, sometimes by as much as nearly an octave! Playing that music on a six string means sacrificing the guitar's upper range. Furthermore, a typical six-string guitar's neck length makes such downturning nearly impossible. A guitar designed specifically for seven or eight strings will have a longer neck and be designed to accommodate lower strings with heavier gauges.

Meshuggah, Periphery, and Animals as Leaders are good examples of current artists who rely on these extended-range guitars for their compositions and performances.

• edited September 2017

@kgmessier said:

@oat_phipps said:

It may seem overly simplistic, but what @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr says is more or less accurate. A great deal of progressive metal is tuned much lower than standard (E) tuning, sometimes by as much as nearly an octave! Playing that music on a six string means sacrificing the guitar's upper range. Furthermore, a typical six-string guitar's neck length makes such downturning nearly impossible. A guitar designed specifically for seven or eight strings will have a longer neck and be designed to accommodate lower strings with heavier gauges.

Meshuggah, Periphery, and Animals as Leaders are good examples of current artists who rely on these extended-range guitars for their compositions and performances.

yes, each instrument was designed for a type of tension, under risk of definitely damaging the guitar.