Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alchemy into Looptical via IAA on iPhone

edited September 2013 in General App Discussion

Anyone else tried this? Anyone getting transport controls in Alchemy anywhere? Trying to determine if what I'm seeing is normal or not. Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2013

Alchemy is not a generator yet. The only way to use it is, first start Alchemy, go to audio in Looptical and click on mic. Click on Alchemy and it will switch to Alchemy. There will be no transport. Go back to Looptical and start record. Switch back to Alchemy and play. You only have the 4 beat precount to get back to Alchemy. I know, kinda premitive, but the only way until Alchemy becomes a generator. Also NLog is a generator bit must be started first or you'll hear no sound.

• Thanks, @mgmg4871 . That was my experience as well. Just wanted to be sure it was what everyone else was seeing too. When you say it's not a generator yet, what does that mean? It's been updated with IAA obviously. There is some other status of "generator" they need to be to get transport controls? I guess we're all noobs to this IAA stuff, but you seem to have some answers, so I'm askin' ;-)

• edited September 2013

From what I understand, which is very limited. There is the Host, which Is the Daw, Looptical in this case. Then there's the Generator that connects to the host directly, and has the IAA panel. There's the instrument Node which I'm trying to figure out it's intended role. I just know there is no IAA panel, and the only use I've found for it is described above, but I'm sure there's a better intent for it. The last I guess would be the effect node. I'm not even going there.maybe that's the purpose of the Node, to connect the effects to the Generator. Just guessing.

• edited September 2013

Forget all I said. Lol

IAA introduces a new way for apps to send MIDI to each other ('new' meaning 'separate from CoreMIDI / Virtual MIDI'). An "AB input slot" app can be an IAA 'generator' node that just sends audio to its host, or it can be an 'instrument' node that receives MIDI from the host and sends audio based on that MIDI. So you can sequence the instrument node from the host.

There are also 'effect' nodes that receive and send audio, and 'music effect' nodes that receive audio and MIDI, and send audio. Fun fact: the internal iOS code for an effect type node is 'aufx' :)

• Why is this such a mystery. I wish someone with knowledge of this would step up and explain fully. Sebastian?

• Agreed! No luck finding details online so far.

• Rim sheds what light he can over here a little. It sounds like the devs are still trying to figure it all out as well. That's probably contributing to the lack of knowledge out there so far;

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11079&start=45

• Mgmg4871 That's the best description of IAA I've heard yet. Explains quite a bit but it's still like a jigsaw puzzle with some parts missing. Until we get a proper host app out with all the features that can take advantage of all the functions mentioned we won't really know or be able to try out all the functionality.

• ...and I'm just now catching up to what you said there @mgmg4871...

"So you can sequence the instrument node from the host." um, really? Because that would be frikin awesome.

Thanks for all of the exmplainifying