Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are there any apps like Korg's Volca Sample for iOS?

I recently discovered the Volca Sample. The easy I can work with it is stunning and especially the workflow. Are there any sampler/ sequencers apps for iOS that are like this? The first app that for me came into mind is Werkbench but I believe this is abandoned and will not survive the upcomin iOS 11 update.

Comments

• Well I had the Volca sampler only for a week , but check ElasticDrums with the IAP sample :)

• Thanks I'll do

• I think there are plenty of apps that do basically what the Volca Sample can do, and without the restrictions on file size, etc. than can be limiting sometimes on the Volca. Something like iMPC Pro might work, but I didn't actually know that ElasticDrums can be used as a sampler - that's a great suggestion!

• I didn't think that there were any apps that can do what a Volca Sample can do- if you are looking for the immediacy of easily mangling several sample parameters consecutively or in very quick succession.
    I'm pretty sure that iMPC Pro can't do what the Volca can do-I'm not sure what gave you that idea?
    If you are talking about the finished production then there would be plenty of ways of creating the sound (like Abu Dhabi in Gadget). But getting the sound 'live' there and then- there isn't anything on iOS.

• @robosardine said:
    I didn't think that there were any apps that can do what a Volca Sample can do- if you are looking for the immediacy of easily mangling several sample parameters consecutively or in very quick succession.
    I'm pretty sure that iMPC Pro can't do what the Volca can do-I'm not sure what gave you that idea?
    If you are talking about the finished production then there would be plenty of ways of creating the sound (like Abu Dhabi in Gadget). But getting the sound 'live' there and then- there isn't anything on iOS.

Interesting view. Because the point of directness of the Volca Sample is exactly what I'm searching for. Instant record modes, etc. From what I've seen though Elastic Drums looks a bit like it. Would be nice to have an ap that could do the same and even with more depth (parameters controls)

• @greengrocer said:

@robosardine said:
    I didn't think that there were any apps that can do what a Volca Sample can do- if you are looking for the immediacy of easily mangling several sample parameters consecutively or in very quick succession.

Interesting view. Because the point of directness of the Volca Sample is exactly what I'm searching for. Instant record modes, etc. From what I've seen though Elastic Drums looks a bit like it. Would be nice to have an ap that could do the same and even with more depth (parameters controls)

You will rarely get the same immediacy from software that you get from a focused piece of hardware like the Volcas. There are some sample-based apps that can get you close, but the workflow will always involve a bunch of extra taps and slides that you don't have to do on the Volca.

Also, in my experience not looking at a screen but relying on your ears and the hardware-haptics change everything.

• I own the sample. And I also own elastic drums. If it wasn't for the slightly tedious method of transferring samples to the volca sample I'd pretty much use it exclusively. It's stupidly easy to mangle samples with it. Also. The fact that it is a 31.2 khz machine and not 44.1 gives it this oldskool drummachine bitcrush that is just sublime. Only thing that worries me is that caustic editor for the volca sample is a 32bit app and doesn't work in ios11 :(

• edited September 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I own the sample. And I also own elastic drums. If it wasn't for the slightly tedious method of transferring samples to the volca sample I'd pretty much use it exclusively. It's stupidly easy to mangle samples with it. Also. The fact that it is a 31.2 khz machine and not 44.1 gives it this oldskool drummachine bitcrush that is just sublime. Only thing that worries me is that caustic editor for the volca sample is a 32bit app and doesn't work in ios11 :(

I will be using the Volca Sample Samples for testing when BM3 gets automation of sample start & end.
    There is still room for a 'Volca Sample Inspired' AUv3 ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Please @brambos give us an universal software Volca.

• Yeah one thing iOS has over the volca sample ironically is sample management :) And the fact you can't record directly into the Volca.They are great machines but I would prefer a better way of getting samples in to it.

• @greengrocer said:
    The first app that for me came into mind is Werkbench but I believe this is abandoned and will not survive the upcomin iOS 11 update.

Have I got news for you!!!!

• @KarlBolasol said:

@greengrocer said:
    The first app that for me came into mind is Werkbench but I believe this is abandoned and will not survive the upcomin iOS 11 update.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

• Agree that Elastic is probably the closest. DM1 would also get fairly close.

@brambos said:
    Also, in my experience not looking at a screen but relying on your ears and the hardware-haptics change everything.

This. I keep meaning the set up a nice Beatstep CC template for Elastic Drums in an attempt to recreate this type of workflow. Without a way to load samples via CC and lack of bi-directional communication for steps/pads, not sure how close it could ever get.

It would have the same shortcomings but certainly a MIDI Designer or TB MIDI Stuff (...etc) template could be created that had the same controls as a Volca Sample but mapped to Elastic Drums controls. Another shortcoming: only 6 channels vs the Volca's 10. That said, Elastic Drums offers many more controls. A template like might make BeatMaker

I love the Volca Sample. The last Beatstep Pro update allows the drum sequence track to communicate with it (can now set the MIDI channel per pad which the VSample requires). The BSP addresses the other main shortcoming of the VSample: limited number patterns. BSP also provides for polymetric goodness.

Would love something like Vosyr on iOS with Audioshare connectivity. It's great to have everything laid out on a big grid like that. The thing it's missing is basic sample editing. Audioshare compatibility would take care of that. An app like that would also probably work nicely as the soundboard app someone was recently asking about.

• What about Beat-Machine by Primitive Digital Software
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/beat-machine/id505825861?mt=8

• @brambos said:

@greengrocer said:

@robosardine said:

You will rarely get the same immediacy from software that you get from a focused piece of hardware like the Volcas. There are some sample-based apps that can get you close, but the workflow will always involve a bunch of extra taps and slides that you don't have to do on the Volca.

Good point and I agree completely. Remember that a there was some company that made hardware knobs for iPads that youculd put on the screen. Believe it was not a succes though.

@KarlBolasol said:

@greengrocer said:

Super news I'm really excited :)
    Seemed too have missed your announcement, Thanks

@u0421793 said:
    What about Beat-Machine by Primitive Digital Software
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/beat-machine/id505825861?mt=8

I should have that app somewhere I believe. Will give it another try. Thanks

• Beatmachine is great for driving samples or midi!!

• @audiblevideo said:
    Beatmachine is great for driving samples or midi!!

Found that I had Beatmachine, reinstalled it. Possibilties are okay... but the GUI makes it unfortunatelly for me totally unworkable. If the dev is here on the forum I would advise him the redesisn the GUI because the app has really potential.

• If you mean the functionality of the interface then I have no idea as to what is unworkable. If you are a talking cosmetically then everyone has their druthers.

• @greengrocer said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Beatmachine is great for driving samples or midi!!

Found that I had Beatmachine, reinstalled it. Possibilties are okay... but the GUI makes it unfortunatelly for me totally unworkable. If the dev is here on the forum I would advise him the redesisn the GUI because the app has really potential.

My main issue is there is no sample management, all the samples are in one folder .

ElasticDrums can automate sample parameters

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Isequence?

Isequence very interesting app but looks like abandonware...

• @mannix said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Isequence?

Isequence very interesting app but looks like abandonware...

RIP