Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

UPDATE: New PC or Used MAC?

2»

Comments

• @studs1966 said:
    I have a Asus G20 CB. Using Ableton 9 suite & FL Studio & Cubase Artist. I use the Fl ASIO, which is much better than the standard free ASIO. On average I am using 30 tracks in a project, all plugged up to the gills(Fabfilters/PSP/etc)....... I'm lucky if I get pass 35-40% on CPU..... Been trying to push it harder, but it can take it easily. Even when using heavy CPU VST(Omnisphere/Dune/Trillian/Sampletank 3/etc)...... Never crashing...... Very pleased with it, as I don't have any restrictions anymore. I don't don't know if MACs can handle the same abuse I give my PC? iZoptope 7 & Slate Digital FG-X is even a breeze.
    Windows 10 is solid now. I think Microsoft have done well to tighten things up (sercurity wise) like Apple have done. IMO..... :)
    But other people's options will be different. I've tried iMacs, & I wasn't THAT impressed with it. When I tried the simular thing, to what I do which the PC, the CPU went crazy, like my old 2007 laptop PC. Low memory, etc. The way I abuse samples, I couldn't do on a Mac. I found it a bit limited. Plus, I wouldn't go for a second hand computer...... You buy second hand, then you maybe buying second hand problem, with no warranty. Just saying......... ;)

I appreciate your extensive feedback and honesty.

I am sure slings and arrows are now being readied as torches are lit in the town's square.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Speaking for the loyal opposition, I have a Windows 10 Surface Pro 3, which I use for music (with Bitwig, Live, FL 12, MTS etc)...without issue and with much joy. Touch on the SP3 for Bitwig and FL12 often makes me wonder why I spend time anywhere else.

SurfacePro3

Any other descriptors as I look into it?

Options, etc

• @Samplemunch said:
    If you want to use Reaper/Maschine/Studio One i would avoid Mac, I have multiple set ups on both platforms and like both for various reasons, but those three programs are poor for resource use compared to their Windows variants on the exact same hardware.
    Other than GPU accelarated video composition/editing where Macs are again very poor, both platforms are perfectly good and do their job well.
    For the record, a well programmed ASIO driver like RME performs way better than core audio too, so the latency thing is a choice not defined by Windows itself.
    Always buy RME always be happy, that applies to both platforms.

Maschine is on my list for Santa at this point probably so that is interesting.

Otherwise, Ableton probably will dominate.

But who knows.

Thank you

• @Strizbiz said:
    I have both, I use PC for gaming and Mac for music, plus for me personally Mac integrates with my Ipad better, and with IOS11 were going to be able to send audio and midi back and forth via lightning cable. Music wise while you can create on both, I prefer Mac, plus I have an Apogee Duet which works on both IOS and Mac.You definitely dont need the latest Mac either, my MacBook Pro is a 2011, i7 w 16 gigs of ram , and though a new one would be nice, I dont feel restricted or feel like its not fast enough for music production at all.

THIS IS POTENTIALLY THE MAIN FACTOR!

Brilliant

I have multiple iPads and iPhones and integration would be critical

• edited September 2017

A Mac. My PCs i used only for Other things, like Games.
    Music Never ever on a PCs again.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Zen210507 said:
    Hardware wise, I am very pleased with my Mac Mini from Hoxton Macs. Refurbished stock, with new 512gb SSD and 16gb RAM.

$? US$

Mac mini is a desktop

• edited September 2017

@RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Portable ? i.e Laptop or desktop ?

I've been considering a second hand MAC Mini, an old low spec one can be got for £60

Laptop

Go with windows, you'll get a lot more for your money and cheaper repairs down the line.....before buying check and double check the amount of RAM you can put in it....this will have the biggest impact on the overall performance.
    BUT...don't expect the ease of use combining iPad/iPhone/laptop as you would get with a Mac on a new OS

• @richardyot said:

@Telefunky said:
    Win-10 is a system that's in permanent connection with it's mothership and organizes whatever is on your system according to Microsoft.

Windows 10 doesn't interfere with your system in any kind of intrusive way AFAIK. All the files etc are exactly where you'd expect them to be. They push you to update, same as Apple does, but that's a good idea anyway, in most cases. At least when Windows updates it doesn't break your older apps like iOS and OS X can.

I've been forced to watch that process for a while on my dad's laptop.
    A permanent mess, phonecalls at least every 3rd day that the computer 'doesn't work'.
    Microsoft has failed time and a again and they will continue to fail, a matter of fact based on statistics.
    I prefer to stay in control of my systems - and I don't want anyone to mess around on them.

• edited September 2017

I work with image, sound and video for more than 15 years,
    Started with PCs,
    The total amount of headaches and problems that made me lose time or simply not getting intended results made me switch to Mac and I won't be transitioning back any time soon,

Once I did an artistic residence/workshop with 11 other colleagues that involved hardwiring a DAW, hardware, arduino and electric sensor, everyone took some kinda Mac machine, only one used a Windows machine. Guess the only soul who had severe and impeding problems in their setup?

Also, Mac hardware do fail, but a lot less than PC hardware and they age with much more grace. PCs seem to get exponentially worse with the time, so you have to keep upgrading both hardware and software. Macs tend to stay very near factory form for a long long time.

If you are serious about it, I'd suggest to get a Mac,

I do hate Apple, I just love my time and peace of mind even more.

• Heads up:

I had been hearing good things about the official Apple Refurbished Store, and recently purchased from there myself and had a good experience. The deals aren't all that enticing, but it's a way to shave off some of the cost, by way of it being both refurbished and an older device.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

As for Mac vs PC, with Mac you will likely eventually get Logic Pro. $200 for one of the better DAWs out there, along with a quality synth in Alchemy.

There's a lot I don't like about Apple, but I moved over from Windows roughly five years ago and haven't looked back.

• Also, my initial foray into Mac was a Mac mini and it was very solid for music making. Just make sure you get good specs, especially the processor. RAM you can upgrade in the minis, or at least you could with mine, not sure if they changed that.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    Speaking for the loyal opposition, I have a Windows 10 Surface Pro 3, which I use for music (with Bitwig, Live, FL 12, MTS etc)...without issue and with much joy. Touch on the SP3 for Bitwig and FL12 often makes me wonder why I spend time anywhere else.

SurfacePro3

Options, etc

The cherry one for music production would be i7, 256GB (or more but I don't think there is a 512 one)

That's the SP3. There are a few new ones still around, or nice refurbished, even though the 4 has been live awhile.

• I spent a decade rolling my eyes at my apple fanboi mates, then got a 2nd hand MBP for £275 on eBay (it was a risk I admit), but over the next 3 years it worked its way under my skin. It finally fell foul of the brittle solder issue on the graphic chip. I had a choice to make at that point and it was no contest, £600 on a newer MBP (again 2nd hand on eBay, but I went looking for a good well looked after model this time, you need a level of eBay ad and seller analysis, but there are bargains to be had if you're careful). 2011 models and upwards, until the point they baked in the memory, gives good value, get a model which you can upgrade the RAM and an SSD.

Having said all that, Bitwig on a surface pro sounds VERRRY tempting. To me, Windows 10 felt like the first well-considered OS from MS in a long time. I use one at work, but the build is very tied down, so no issues with updates or in-machine messing from MS here. The funny thing is, I thought 10 was MS going for the Apple model(s) but trying to imagine a convergence of iOS and OSX.

• @1P18 said:
    Also, my initial foray into Mac was a Mac mini and it was very solid for music making. Just make sure you get good specs, especially the processor. RAM you can upgrade in the minis, or at least you could with mine, not sure if they changed that.

AFAIK they made the last mini's (late 2014) almost impossible to upgrade - the RAM is soldered directly onto the board and there's no empty SATA port anymore so you can't install another drive.

I have a late 2012 model (16GB of RAM, 2 internal drives: SSD and HDD) and it's a superb machine. Not good for gaming because of its inferior video card but great for everything else. For gaming, I might buy an external GPU later since they are adding support for eGPU's in the next version of MacOS

• edited September 2017

I'm not a Live user on Mac, so I can't give advice there. But for every other DAW I use (Studio One, Tracktion Waveform, MixBus, Reaper) my brand new iMac 4.2 ghz I7 is kind of a sick joke compared to my Windows 10 machine. (I have to use a Mac for iOS development reasons). I've experienced more crashes and strange issues in my first month in Sierra than I did in the last 2 years using the same apps in Windows 10.

I do love how my iMac, iPhone, and iPad Pro interoperate... that really is a joy. But for just about anything else, I'm just mystified why non-Logic users are still so enamored with MacOS, especially considering how expensive they are (even for a used one) compared to a similarly spec-ed PC hand-built for recording. Obviously this is just my opinion, but it's based on using Macs as my main machine for 5 of the last 7 years. (Now, if they hadn't gimped the Mac Mini's... those would have been a fantastic, affordable choice).

• PC user here. Windows 10 NEVER crashes, incredibly fast machine and quite silent. I integrated my ipad with the pc by:
    a) adding an ethernet port (about €10) to the ipad. The midi connection latency is <1ms, no jitter and no necessity to create adhoc networks, etc.
    b) using an old USB soundcard connected to the ipad with audio ins and outs wired to my main PC one. In this way, I can grab the audio output from the ipad and, if I want, redirect some audio from my PC back into the ipad again.

Latency CAN be an issue on a PC because it is heavily dependent from the driver of the audio card. So, bad drivers = big issues, even on a super PC.

• @Tovokas said:
    I'm not a Live user on Mac, so I can't give advice there. But for every other DAW I use (Studio One, Tracktion Waveform, MixBus, Reaper) my brand new iMac 4.2 ghz I7 is kind of a sick joke compared to my Windows 10 machine. (I have to use a Mac for iOS development reasons). I've experienced more crashes and strange issues in my first month in Sierra than I did in the last 2 years using the same apps in Windows 10.

I do love how my iMac, iPhone, and iPad Pro interoperate... that really is a joy. But for just about anything else, I'm just mystified why non-Logic users are still so enamored with MacOS, especially considering how expensive they are (even for a used one) compared to a similarly spec-ed PC hand-built for recording. Obviously this is just my opinion, but it's based on using Macs as my main machine for 5 of the last 7 years. (Now, if they hadn't gimped the Mac Mini's... those would have been a fantastic, affordable choice).

Thank you

• @Littlewoodg said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Littlewoodg said:

SurfacePro3

Options, etc

The cherry one for music production would be i7, 256GB (or more but I don't think there is a 512 one)

That's the SP3. There are a few new ones still around, or nice refurbished, even though the 4 has been live awhile.

Thanks homie!

• My opinion in order:

In order of sexiness:

Hardware
    Ipad
    Mac
    PC

Price dependent as some cheap items are crap in all categories.

In order of reliability:

Hardware
    Ipad
    Mac
    PC

Consider some verifiable with cost.

In order of bang for buck:

PC
    IPad
    Mac
    Hardware

May be changing as IPad prices are rising.

In order of cost long term cost effectiveness:

Hardware
    IPad
    Mac
    PC

Again many variables that can change this order dependent on how and what you buy.

Shit I've just talked myself back to hardware! Lol

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    My opinion in order:

In order of sexiness:

Hardware
    Ipad
    Mac
    PC

In order of reliability:

Hardware
    Ipad
    Mac
    PC

PC
    IPad
    Mac
    Hardware

Hardware
    IPad
    Mac
    PC

Again many variables that can change this order dependent on how and what you buy.

I need a spread sheet for this...........LOL

Its a bit early for the ole synapses.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    My opinion in order:

In order of sexiness:

Hardware
    Ipad
    Mac
    PC

In order of reliability:

Hardware
    Ipad
    Mac
    PC

PC
    IPad
    Mac
    Hardware

Hardware
    IPad
    Mac
    PC

I need a spread sheet for this...........LOL

Its a bit early for the ole synapses.

Never too early for some OCD related listings lol

• edited September 2017

The data checks out, the formatting just needs some of these.

1.)
    2.)
    3.)
    4.)

-

• @AudioGus said:
    The data checks out, the formatting just needs some of these.

1.)
    2.)
    3.)
    4.)

-

I considered some of those, but I'm going through a minimalist stage. Either that or I'm getting more lazy as I get older?

• 1.) :D
    2.) :s
    3.) :#
    4.) >:)

• 1.) used Lenovo T430 for 129 Euro :D
    2.) used Mac Mini 8 GB Ram for 220 Euro :s
    3.) used iPad Air 1 cellular for 220 Euro :#
    4.) new Mac computer (can't afford this) >:)